1st Bowl and Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
I piggy backed this one another post but thought I would start it as a new Topic.:roll:

Turned my 1st big (6") bowl this weekend...cheaped out and used popular....it came out OK, along way from great, it gets a little scary when whe you start to hollow deep.:-? And I do have to admit I had to chase down the bowl when it came free from the chuck and went spinning like a top across the shop (also screwing up the tendon) note to self ...when you start to hear wried noise when hollowing, stop and check..... :shock:

I bought a 3/8" Ben. Best bowl gouge and hated the way it was ground...reground into a stright accoss profile with swept back sides and didn't have a catch since most of the cutting is with the sides anyway...will try to get a photo and upload a pic of the gouge.

A quick question! Do you turn a tendon (spigot??) on the bottom of the bowl to place in a chuck to hollow...and if you do how do you keep the chuck jaws from marking the tendon?

James

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
cut the tennon off when the bowl is finished.:) i usually cut a recess to mount on the chuck. it seems to require less force to hold it so less chance of messin up the bottom of the bowl. i finish the bottom before i turn it around to hollow. not sure if this is the correct way but thats the way i do it!:-D also keep the tailstock on the bowl as long as possible. OH... and never stand in the line of fire! :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I too like a recess, it is too easy to crush the wood fibers with a tenon. If you use a tenon, plan to cut it off or part it down a little to remove the chuck marks. Another method is a waste block for your tenon, it takes a little forethought to glue it on ahead of time, but it too can be removed leaving you with a clean bottom , and allowing a little extra depth in a thin bowl blank.
Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Use both methods, really depends upon size of wood and if dealing with and design. I stop often to make damage assessments, and will check to make sure chuck still has a firm grip often too. Have had bowls come off using both methods.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I've used a tenon and then use a donut to cut the tenon off. You do need to make sure the chuck gets re-tightened every now and then. I plan to try one with a recessed bottom sometime. I am VERY new at bowl turning so you'll probably get better advise from those who are more experienced.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey Dave! How thick is the average bowl blank? I'm gonna cut up some of this walnut and bring it to the BBQ, so how long would pieces be ideally?
Can you guys deal with 2' long pieces and cut your blanks from that? Or is another length better?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've worked with bowl blanks that are 2" thick up to 6" thick. I don't want them thicker than 6" because I can't cut them round on my BS. 2" thick blanks tend to make platters more than bowls, but who cares.
The perfect bowl blank would be square, as wide as it is long, (12" x 12" as that is my max swing over the bed without going outboard) with a thickness as described above. Circles out of rectangles creates un-needed waste.
Bring what ever you have, how ever you have it. I can cut it up to fit on my lap, and on the lathe :-D

Thanks,
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS