1923 Grist Mill Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of a 1923 Grist Mill my brother and I have spent the past year rebuilding. Also notice the belt drive to the 1920 Hercules hit&miss engine. Makes great grits and can be seen Saturdays at the Rocky Mount Farmers Market. Also a before picture which is not to clear. Was all rotted pine and we rebuilt with oak and walnut. 16" stones.

Jeff

Attachments

• mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 297
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 328
  • mill3.JPG
    mill3.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 280

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks for the compliments. I just realized that it has 20"stones. We even poured new babbet shaft bearings. My brother is the mechanic and I'm the woodworker.

Jeff

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Good job. Nice looking mill with the oak wood. I like the sound of those old hit&miss engines. Good the see someone salvaging some of the old machines. So many old things are disposed of....losing our history.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Jeff- that's pretty cool! I've got a horse and a half Novo and just acquired an Economy drag saw with a horse and a half Economy.

Do you know Robert Blanchard in New Hill? He has several grist mills set up at his house, along with several other hit and miss engines.

Are you planning to go to the show at Silk Hope this weekend?

Scott

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Scott...I don't know him but my brother might. To busy this weekend at the Rocky Mount farmers market selling grits.

Jeff

T

toolferone

I will ned to take a ride down there and see it sometime. It looks awesome!!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, one of my neighbors goes to the Holly Springs farmers market and sells farm eggs (my wife and I also sell organic farm eggs from a stand across the street from our farm).

My neighbor has been to most of the local farmers markets, and he says that Holly Springs and Cary are two of the best.

Just an FYI.

Scott

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Jeff that is way too cool - great job on the rebuild!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I need to get out there and see it in action.

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of a 1923 Grist Mill my brother and I have spent the past year rebuilding. Also notice the belt drive to the 1920 Hercules hit&miss engine. Makes great grits and can be seen Saturdays at the Rocky Mount Farmers Market. Also a before picture which is not to clear. Was all rotted pine and we rebuilt with oak and walnut. 16" stones.

Jeff

Jeff,

If this is what you were describling last Sunday; it looks awesome!!! You did a wonderul job on the restoration!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Everyone else! This guy - Jeff, has done some wonderful furniture work, too!!

(Thanks Jeff for the great shop tour and the great deal on the hollow chisel mortiser!)

You do great work, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks for sharing Jeff. You and your brother did a nice job on the restoration. And I'll bet you had some good times along the way.

-Don

DavidF

New User
David
Jeff, one of my neighbors goes to the Holly Springs farmers market and sells farm eggs (my wife and I also sell organic farm eggs from a stand across the street from our farm).

My neighbor has been to most of the local farmers markets, and he says that Holly Springs and Cary are two of the best.

Just an FYI.

Scott

Ever get to Carrboro FM on Sat mornings? Carol and I try to get there regularly, love the place.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
For the record, the Rocky Mount Farmers Market closes at 1PM Saturdays. If you arrive there at 1:15PM you are outta luck! :eusa_doh:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS