10 Yr Old Log turned bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
This bowl is turned from a small B. WAlnut log that was laying behind Don P's shop. It started as a nasty looking log it was so bad that the sapwood was completely rotted away, and full of ants. but with a little persuasion I was able to find tthis inside.
7"x1 3/4" sanded to 2500 finished with antique oil and special sauce. then buffed and waxed.
Comments and critiques welcomed.
P1010081_5.jpg

P1010085_5.jpg

Walnut_Bowl12.jpg

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Very nice Gary. I've almost finished a bowl from the piece of walnut you gave me. The only thing left to do is finish the bottom. I'll post a pic when finished.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I like that a lot Gary. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Did you have any issues with the wood cracking in the chuck?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow that sure is beautiful.

I think I need to learn a little more about finishing and buffing, cause that looks Grrreat! What type of wax (brand) and Antique oil brand?

Thanks for sharing!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Beautiful bowl. Great lines. You must have been very convincing because you found some really nice wood in there.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Bill- Yes this did so happen to be the first completed piece off the new lathe. I have a maple bowl that was rough turned waiting to dry a bit.

Trent- No issues with the wood cracking. I am guessing you are meaning the tenon?

Matthew- The trick to a good finish is a good starting surface, for some that means good tooling, for others it means good sanding. I fall somewhere in between most of the time, but this wood was a little "difficult" so good sanding. The antique oil is Minwax, the secret sauce is a mixture 1:1:1 Blo:poly:MS, the buffing was just the tripoli as the WD will get in the pores of Walnut and bugger it all to H3LL! The wax isa light buff of pure Carnuba, but I think I may switch to Ren. wax.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice comments. I had fun and didn't bugger this one uo, so it was a good day or 2.:gar-Bi

timf67

New User
Tim
Great to hear! Makes me want to pick up my "new" lathe before my shop is ready for it!:eusa_danc

Touchwood

New User
Don
This bowl is turned from a small B. WAlnut log that was laying behind Don P's shop. It started as a nasty looking log it was so bad that the sapwood was completely rotted away, and full of ants. but with a little persuasion I was able to find tthis inside.
7"x1 3/4" sanded to 2500 finished with antique oil and special sauce. then buffed and waxed.
Comments and critiques welcomed.
P1010081_5.jpg

P1010085_5.jpg

Walnut_Bowl12.jpg

Hi All,

I showed the pile of old walnut logs behind the shop and this is what he did with one of them.

Absolutely Gorgeous work...and now I own it !!!!:gar-Bi

Gary and Lyn stopped by the shop today and presented it to me.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thank you Gary. We will treasure it.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS