Search results

1. Tool Box aka Coffee Table

Tool Box aka Coffee Table

2. Grgramps

Lumber grading - the very basics GUESS THE GRADE

Re: Lumber grading - the very basics Rob, I appreciate your taking the time to explain this. Gennett's never gave me an explanation, but I'll admit that I didn't question management. I only dealt with the people in the warehouse and what I got from them was a distant stare as though I was...
  3. Grgramps

Lumber grading - the very basics GUESS THE GRADE

Re: Lumber grading - the very basics Jeff, I think we all benefit by understanding how board feet are calculated. (It's not like buying 5 lbs of potatoes.) Is there a difference when calculating board feet of green wood and wood that has been dried? The reason for asking is because when I...
  4. Grgramps

shoe polish finish

Jay, Since most have suggested that you use products designed for wood, I think you should try the shoe polish on a test piece and then the finishes of your choice. Shellac with alcohol base, or poly with petroleum base, may bind with the shoe polish. The worst that can happen is that it won't...
  5. Grgramps

Multi-talented Woodworker

Sold for $5600!! Not bad, huh?
  6. Grgramps

Pete, I've got it on my "watch" list as I suspect that this will bring big bucks considering workmanship and cause. For those interested...
  7. Grgramps

Here's a YouTube that you and your children (even the little ones) need to watch!! And your dog will like it too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s I realize some of you may not take me seriously, but that would be your loss. Roy
  8. Grgramps

DJ20 Jointer wiring question

Jon, I had a similar issue with my dust collector and found that buying an extension cord (with the appropriate wire) was less expensive than buying the needed cable. Cut off the ends that are not needed and wire directly to the machine. The ones I am using are orange and they are more visible...
  9. Grgramps

Band Saw Tracking Solved

Norm, actually, I made the one adjustment (quarter turn) and found that was it. I aligned the fence parallel to the slot in the table and found that it tracked straight. The next test will be to draw a line down the edge of a board and see how that works without the use of the fence. Travis...
  10. Grgramps

Band Saw Tracking Solved

At least for me, thanks to Michael Fortune's article in Fine Woodworkings publication, "Power Tool Basics." Whenever I resawed a board I found it necessary to feed at an angle from right to left. It always frustrated me because I believed that you should be able to feed straight through in...
  11. Grgramps

Trestle table legs completed

Lorraine, You've already received many compliments on your fine workmanship, but I would venture that you'll get even more satisfaction in knowing that this is something that your son will enjoy owning for many years. I can just imagine the pride he will take in telling friends, "My mom made...
  12. Grgramps

Halfway decent hand saws

Bas, If you can afford to toss the saw when it dulls, more power to you. Perhaps it's the Scotsman that frightened my mother when she was carrying me, but I'm more inclined to spend a few minutes sharpening a tool. Planes, chisels, scrapers, and saws have been sharpened by woodworkers for...
  13. Grgramps

Happy Birthday Grramps!

Thank you all -- it was a great day to be alive. Just 25 more of them to reach the century mark!:-) Roy
  14. Grgramps

Link to mortise-and-tenon

I recently saw "Norm" cut a through mortise by working from both sides to prevent tearout. For a table top this may not matter if you aren't concerned about the bottom side of the top. On the other hand, if you are one to over imbibe, you could find yourself under the table looking up...
  15. Grgramps

Link to mortise-and-tenon

Lorraine, I wish I could help you, but you're just a few steps ahead of me. I've had the same attachment new in box for about 3 years. Today I decided that I needed it and searched for the instructions for assembly. Sure enough I found them in a stack of tool related stuff. So tomorrow I...
  16. Grgramps

Quickly, I Need Info on Gray RIDGID Jointer

Tom, Don't forget to factor in the $50 (or more) for gas. Also note that 6" jointers frequently come to market when the owner steps up to 8". Roy
  17. Grgramps

New saw fence adjuster

Color Me Puzzled 1/64" equals .015", right? I am at a loss to figure what you are cutting that requires measurements to .001". Can anyone help? Am I missing something obvious? Roy
  18. Grgramps

Forrest Woodworker II

Mtnman, I wish that I could tell you that this service is nearby, but it's in Maryland. When I lived in MD, I had only to drive about 15 miles to this place and was more than satisfied with his work. I was first referred by the sawmill where I bought my lumber. Ben has been in the business...
  19. Grgramps

Biscuit Joiner Experience

Stan, It's obvious you were referring to Sapwood by using the term. "young man," but perhaps a picture will help. In the link there is a spline used in a picture frame: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_tables/article/0,2049,DIY_14446_2276477,00.html And in this link, near bottom of the page...
  20. Grgramps

Biscuit Joiner Experience

Stan, You didn't mention how wide the members of the octagon are. If they are not wider than the smallest biscuit, you may have a problem. Rather than go out to the shop and measure them, I found this: http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/2007-06-01/Woodworking-Basics.aspx About 1/3 down the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS