Search results

1. DanR

First project in the new shop

Moving is never fun, but setting up the new shop is exciting. Yesterday was my brother in laws birthday and my wife and I framed a puzzle that he put together for him. I bought some hard maple from a local mill and processed it, then built the Fine Woodworking framing jig and made this:
  2. DanR

Carbide Create Pro (CAM software) free for a year

Looks like the free year of Pro ended, but the regular version is still free. Carbide 3D
  3. DanR

DW 735 Planer Dust Port to Shop vac adapter (is there one)

I use these things from the big box stores for adapting things to dust collection and shopvacs. the latest was building a gutter sucker so i could avoid the ladder.
  4. DanR

Getting some wood kiln dried

Sorry it took me so long to see your message Jeff, I have been working too hard lately! I think the first time I saw one was a post from Scott Smith. There are plans on the web, here is one from Virginia Tech: https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/dam/pubs_ext_vt_edu/420/420-030/420-030_pdf.pdf...
  5. DanR

Thanks guys. I will air dry for a while. I started building a solar kiln and have not finished it. I guess I will get it done by summer. I will leave the thick stuff air drying until next year.
  6. DanR

Hi Folks, Does anyone know of a place where I could get some thick (2 - 6 inch thick) slabs of white oak and hemlock dried? We had to take down some trees in the yard and I have some slabs that I need for a mantle and banisters. The wood is between Boone and Wilkesboro, but I drive back and...
  7. DanR

Phenolic saw plates cheap!

Thanks for doing this, and thanks to Lee! Can I have four DL1-U (Unisaw 13-3/8 x 3-3/4) And four DW-1 (Dewalt 705 miter saw) Thanks!
  8. DanR

Fuming ...

I only fumed white oak once, never red. The thing I did different is I only exposed the wood to the fumes, I did not soak it in ammonia. I have seen it done several times, and never soaked. The result was great, I was matching an old dining table that needed some new leaves to extend it.
  9. DanR

LED worklight $20 at Lowes

Yeah, I have a halogen, but it cuts off when it overheats, and I work slow so it overheats alot :)
  10. DanR

This hanging ones are great. I am using the portable ones for a tile job right now, I thought about hanging one form the ceiling, but wanted to be able to really light up the shower stall being tiled.
  11. DanR

Lowe's has a 1500 lumen worklight for $20 on sale. I just bought a couple. Very bright, about the equivalent of two 100 watt floods each I think...
  12. DanR

Festoon vac adapters to connect to the rest of the world?

I don't have any Festool, but I use plumbing rubber adapters to connect things that don't want to be connected. I think Lowe's has a 2" for a couple dollars, and plumbing supply stores have a bigger selection.
  13. DanR

SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander

I buy rolls of sandpaper from Klingspor and cut my own for the Supermax rather than the precut stuff. I use the old paper as a template.
  14. DanR

Ideas for workshop floor coating

Horse stall mats from Tractor Supply. I think they are $40 per 24 sq ft. Get em on sale. Great for standing on. I bought them to cover concrete, plywood is probably not as cold or rough on the feet.
  15. DanR

Boone to Winston/Gboro area?

Yup. I go back and forth every week or so Mike. Will it fit in a 6 1/2' bed?
  16. DanR

Maple pieces

Can you suggest a place? If there is a mcdonalds close to the highway I will be due for a cup of coffee. I don’t really know the area, just know it is fairly close to the route from boone to Hillsborough :)
  17. DanR

Maple pieces

I should be passing through Friday morning on my way from Boone to Hillsborough. I can pony it
  18. DanR

Rdu cl - mint rigid 14" bandsaw - $200 (wake forest)

I have the same bandsaw. It has been great. It is down now as one of the pot metal pieces (upper guide bearing support) broke (the metal is very thin where a bolt locks it into place. The replacement part is no longer available, so I am trying a Jet part when it arrives. My advice: wait for one...
  19. DanR

Fair market value - Shop Assistance program

One more thing: it is important to tell people if things are 120V, 220v, or 3 phase.
  20. DanR

Fair market value - Shop Assistance program

Hi Bill, sorry to hear about your friend. I usually look in the classifieds here and on sawmillcreek to see what things have sold for. I bought the Delta Planer that is just like the 380 except 14" instead of 15" like your friend's. I paid $300, so if it is in great shape probably $500. I don't...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors