SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
One of the tools that has been missing from my shop has been a good drum sander - emphasizing "good." I have had friends with both Jet and Grizzly drum sanders and I was not impressed with either brand. Today I read an article about the recent tariffs on Chinese imports and someone mentioned that the SuperMax drum sanders were made in America and not subject to any tariffs. After reading quite a few SuperMax reviews, I was impressed. Then I watched some videos on Youtube and I was sold. Klingspor sells Supermax sanders, but they had a notice on the web page that they would not be available until late summer. After visiting several of the distributors listed on the SuperMax web page I found a vendor who had a 19-32 in stock. I ordered it and it should be here in the next week or so. The infeed and outfeed tables were on back order, but I was assured that they are expected to shop in the next week to ten days.

I suspect that there are a few SuperMax drum sanders owners in this forum. Any tips or hints when it comes to using this tool?

Pete

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I have the 19-38, I assume that this is what you are getting too, not 32. It's a very nice drum sander and a very handy thing to have in a wood shop! Did you order the folding tables? If not, you should try to change your order, they take up so much less space when folded down.

One thing I'll mention, is that I ALWAYS have trouble getting the paper on the roll at the end, the end near the handle. I've changed many rolls and still always end up cursing at it before I get it on. Other than that one problem, it's a great machine.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I ordered the tables, but I didn't know that they had folding and non-folding ones. I had better check on that.

Pete

I have the 19-38, I assume that this is what you are getting too, not 32. It's a very nice drum sander and a very handy thing to have in a wood shop! Did you order the folding tables? If not, you should try to change your order, they take up so much less space when folded down.

One thing I'll mention, is that I ALWAYS have trouble getting the paper on the roll at the end, the end near the handle. I've changed many rolls and still always end up cursing at it before I get it on. Other than that one problem, it's a great machine.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have had a 19-38 for about 2-3 years and once I got it was surprised by how much I used it. I don't know how I got along without it prior to having it. I'm super pleased with it and feel it is the best unit on the market. Consider contacting our friends at Klingspor's Woodworkingshop.com as a source to purchase it. They can probably have it shipped to you for a reasonable price or they do have many stores around the state. Not sure what would be closest to Denver, NC.

I too had trouble getting the paper attached at the end - until I watched a video and figured out the trick to it. It's actually easy once you figure out the trick. The clip it fits into is spring loaded and actually pulls the end tight when done correctly.

DanR

New User
Dan
I buy rolls of sandpaper from Klingspor and cut my own for the Supermax rather than the precut stuff. I use the old paper as a template.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I buy rolls of sandpaper from Klingspor and cut my own for the Supermax rather than the precut stuff. I use the old paper as a template.

I do the same. When I bought the unit from Klingspor they included several rolls of their brand sandpaper which works well.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I checked with Klingspor and they did not have a 19-38 in stock. Their web page said that they would not have one available until late summer. As popular at the SuperMax sanders are, I could understand whey they are back-ordered. When you figure in the 20% tariff on Chinese tool, SuperMax sanders are even more price competitive against Chinese made tools such as Grizzly. I found a 19-38 in stock with another vendor. It should be here by the middle of next week.

Pete

I have had a 19-38 for about 2-3 years and once I got it was surprised by how much I used it. I don't know how I got along without it prior to having it. I'm super pleased with it and feel it is the best unit on the market. Consider contacting our friends at Klingspor's Woodworkingshop.com as a source to purchase it. They can probably have it shipped to you for a reasonable price or they do have many stores around the state. Not sure what would be closest to Denver, NC.

I too had trouble getting the paper attached at the end - until I watched a video and figured out the trick to it. It's actually easy once you figure out the trick. The clip it fits into is spring loaded and actually pulls the end tight when done correctly.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
What widths are the paper that you buy at Klingspor and what backing does it use? I think that the pre-cut sandpaper from Supermax has a cloth backing that lets you soak it in mineral spirits to remove pitch without damaging the sandpaper.

Pete

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's just the Klingspor standard 3" roll of sandpaper. I believe it does have a cloth backing but I just use one of those eraser looking sandpaper cleaning blocks. I usually keep 100-120 grit on the machine but have some 60 grit for tough jobs.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I have a Perform-X 16-32. I have strained the motor so I had to replace the reset button. This machine is NOT a surface planer. It's a good machine, but attaching the paper is not easy. I do use their attachment hook. Another problem is that there is flex in the sanding head which means you can't reverse a 32 in. piece without a small ridge in the center. I have worked for hours to adjust this problem. I have seen a post on video somewhere that showed a brace on the outboard side to solve the flex problem, but now you only have a 16 in. machine. Having dealt with power tool design I think the Delta design is better. The head is rigid and the conveyor raises and lowers. Also it is belt driven which reduces strain on the motor. All that said, considering Delta at this time, BOY! am I glad I didn't go that route.

Pop
:dontknow::dontknow:

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have the SuperMax 19-38 Drum Sander and have the infeed/outfeed tables and yes they take up a lot of room. Fold down tables would be a great asset. I have had some trouble with the wood panel stopping when partially through the drum which leaves a gouge across the panel. Have some ideas about what is happening but have not yet tried my solutions.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors