Search results

1. tvrgeek

Really impressed with Laguna Resaw-King

I have been using Sawblades.com for most of my bands. No complaints. Just a quick hone on the sides to de-bur and very smooth cuts. BUT Just got a Laguna Resaw King carbide, 3/4 x 125 as that is what my Harvey C14 uses. First cut, I re-sawed some 8 inch red oak. Easily twice as smooth as the...
  2. tvrgeek

Just an FYI on Harvey

I noticed they now show one of their industrial spindle shapers under the Eagle series. I believe they make a lot of the industrial sliding table saws sold under many brands. Makes me wonder if they will OEM brand many of the other tools they make and if they will use the best of multiple...
  3. tvrgeek

Router table coping sled advice please

I need to come to terms with my router table as I have many more picture frames and small projects on the waiting list. Honestly, the router table scares the heck out of me. Anyway, looking at the various coping sleds. Most ride against the fence. They look very similar, either DIY or...
  4. tvrgeek

Little projects between projects

I try to tweak something in the workshop between projects. Either something that bothered me or something on my to-do list. This time, I added the magnifier to the Harvey fence scale. I had already lowered it to reduce parallax error. This time, the line is about one paper thick off the scale...
  5. tvrgeek

Carbon Method on hand tools?

Has anyone tried this stuff on planes, saws, chisels etc.? Sure wax or an oil can has worked for 100's of years, but could this be a better solution?
  6. tvrgeek

One more from the reclaimed mahogany crown molding

Needlepoint by Judy. Frame by me.
  7. tvrgeek

Add for Laguna band saw fence

Seems like they are waking up and advancing the technology. Wheel and micro adjust. Built in small amount of tilt for drift compensation so you don;t have to change tracking or the table between blades. Not seen the pricing but as my BS is my main tool, worth a look. Ah, pre-order, $350
  8. tvrgeek

If you don't have a riving knife on your old table saw

Best option is to make a set of ZCIs for each common blade height. One with the blade set for 1/4 stock, 3/4 etc. That way you can glue in a splitter right behind the blade with no more than 1/8 clearence. You can make them for thin and thick kerf blades. If the splitter is wood, easy to trim...
  9. tvrgeek

Any experience with the Cauliflower fence, insert and cube?

Been working out the details on my new Kaypex. A strip of ZCI tape helped. ZCI fence is the next issue. The only reason I would not want to just bolt on some 1/4 hardboard to the wings is to keep that last 1/4 inch of depth. I saw this expensive replacement for the lower fence that holds a...
  10. tvrgeek

Anyone want a mini-frige for their shop?

Almost new. Free for a shop. Keep your tea cold or for a nice brew contemplating when you are done. :)
  11. tvrgeek

Project using some of the mahogany crown molding

Cross-stich by Judy. Frame made from a section of the Lawyers office reclaimed crown molding.
  12. tvrgeek

Accu-burr sort of vindicated

Paid the huge price for one of these buggers. I was not impressed as I could do my SOP quicker ( file, stone, rod from WBR) and the burr was smaller than I often make. But, in a curved "paisley" scraper, it did the trick easier than SOP. So I guess I'll keep it. I would not buy it again...
  13. tvrgeek

3/4 vs 20mm

Back to the standards. Ok, my bench and assembly table are both drilled for 3/4 inch. Pile of dogs etc. Some newer nifty accessories are 20mm. Simple dogs won't help, but they are not expensive. Question is, before I drill my bench, does the extra mm in the hole have much effect on my great...
  14. tvrgeek

Did Oregon Make a Mistake?

OK, my Kobalt and Poulan chain saws use a 5/32 file. Fits, matches, cuts. But my little Kobalt 8 inch trimmer the Oregon package says a 3/16 file. Does not clear the leading link. 5/32 fits better. Anyone had similar spec conflicts? Yea, with effort on clearence by a couple re-sharpening...
  15. tvrgeek

So much total GARBAGE

OK, new bath fans. Top quality Panasonic 140 and 110 CFM fans. Really nice. So quiet you can barely tell they are on. The morons who built my house ran 3 inch lines into the soffit. No vent. Got to fix that. I would prefer not putting J-Vents through the roof on the front of the house and...
  16. tvrgeek

I knew I didn't need a Knew

After four coping saws, each a little better but each still stinks: Cheap, 2 Fat Max, one Erwin. I was almost going to break down and spend a stinking fortune on a Knew. So I built the Taylor kit. Cheap one was actually useful. I used the handle for my scraper burnishing rod. Blade goes "...
  17. tvrgeek

Actual innovation and a wish list

Just saw a bit on a new SawStop miter gauge. Priced like one would expect from SawStop, but several actual innovative features. This is what we need: Thinking about it. Designers who actually use the tool. Probably not enough to make me give up my Lyon miter trimmer and shooting board, but...
  18. tvrgeek

Goingmake T square

Picked up the 12 inch T-Square off Amazon from Goingmake. Number one: it is square! nicely made. Don't care about all the little holes for marking. I just wanted a square. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFM295ZN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details The red and blue folks need to pay attention.
  19. tvrgeek

Woodworker BOUGHT cabinets

Well, the glass alone if bought through regular channels would have costed more than just buying the darn things. Solid oak BTW. Yea, Ikea. I do have a backlog of requests from family for my shop anyway, so one less project does not leave me idle. I was actually quite impressed with their...
  20. tvrgeek

Irwin Needs better QC

Now, I like the Irwin coping saw as it is easier to rotate the blade while cutting. Good tension. I like the Fat Max saws again for good tension, but their indents in the holders make it a pain to rotate. OK Irwin, quality cointrol! Pin in croked. I was able to tape it out ( serrated) and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS