Really impressed with Laguna Resaw-King

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have been using Sawblades.com for most of my bands. No complaints. Just a quick hone on the sides to de-bur and very smooth cuts. BUT

Just got a Laguna Resaw King carbide, 3/4 x 125 as that is what my Harvey C14 uses. First cut, I re-sawed some 8 inch red oak. Easily twice as smooth as the steel band.

Waiting on the fancy Laguna fence. My modified OEM is pretty good, but as I use the BS the most, going all out. I am also looking at the stacked "green foam" feather board as I think it will add consistency as I reposition push sticks.

One more small mod to make setup quicker. I added a pointer inside right at the center of the wheel. Makes it quicker to set initial tracking. Actually, first cut was only about a foot, but not the slightest hint of skew. No side bearing spun which is a first indicator. It is made from very thin stock so if a band were to brake or any issue, it would just shatter and not hurt anything. Easy to see through the sight glass. Next time I have the band off, I am going to spray everything white for better visibility.

Attachments

• 20240425_091740.jpg
    20240425_091740.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 46

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Did you find the feed pressure was higher? How wide is the kerf?

I bought a (Lenox Woodmaster) a couple years ago for a project that required over 120 resaw cuts in 7" x 40" Cypress. I actually found the feed pressure was noticeably higher and I still had to joint the surface between cuts. I also lost 1 lamination per 8/4 board.

I went back to the regular blade and had an easier and more productive time of it. I've tried Woodslicer but for me they just don't last. I've been very happy with Infinity rip blades I'd say they last 3x a Woodslicer.

So I guess I'm saying for me, had to do over I wouldn't have spend the $200+ on a carbide blade. Personally I would only recommend one for longevity. The surface is definitely better, but you still have to joint between cuts so it doesn't save time there.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I bought a (Lenox Woodmaster) a couple years ago for a project that required over 120 resaw cuts in 7" x 40" Cypress. I actually found the feed pressure was noticeably higher and I still had to joint the surface between cuts. I also lost 1 lamination per 8/4 board.

I went back to the regular blade and had an easier and more productive time of it.

Interesting, members over in the SMC forum love the Woodmaster CT blades, for both the speed of the cuts and the quality of the cuts. I am still using an old school Tri Master that has been sharpened twice.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes, you may still have to joint, or plane, or sand. But not as much. Feed may be a tiny bit slower but well worth it so far. I don't push the speed anyway letting the saw do what it feels is right. Less drift that way.

It was $157 from Oak Tree, not $200. Depends on length of course. 1 inch may be more.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I used the Resaw King on my 18” Rikon and have one for my MM16 and have to agree - they are great. Not cheap, but they’ve been great.

Echd

C
User
I'm tempted to try the resaw king. I'm with Dr Bob- those woodslicer blades just do not last, and I am not a heavy BS user.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
By coincidence had just ordered a resaw-king blade when this was first posted. I received it today and agree, it’s pretty good. I knew my existing regular blade was getting dull, but didn’t realize the extent until I used the resaw-king to do the same job. Cuts like butta. I found the cut surface was actually smoother if it went a little faster. I was used to going pretty slow with the previous blade, so I initially went the same speed with the new blade. The new blade would allow me to go faster, so I was pleased to see it worked better that way. As others have mentioned you will still need to plane to flatten and smooth, at least with cherry.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Interesting, members over in the SMC forum love the Woodmaster CT blades, for both the speed of the cuts and the quality of the cuts. I am still using an old school Tri Master that has been sharpened twice.
Bob I wondered who you found to sharpen the carbide? I have a tri master and it needs some freshening up.

Dan

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Bob I wondered who you found to sharpen the carbide? I have a tri master and it needs some freshening up.

Dan
Dan, I had Suffolk Machinery (of Timberwolf fame) sharpen the TriMaster blade for me, at the time Suffolk was the only shop who would sharpen the blade, IIRC (doubtful) the cost was like $80. The only caveat was the band had to be 1” wide with a 2/3 tooth pattern.

I understand that many more shops will now sharpen Lennox bands now, like Hickory Saw and Tool was mentioned locally, Connecticut Tool and Saw was another shop mentioned. Needless to say, I would check each shop if they still would sharpen the band. The last time Suffolk sharpened my TriMaster was 7 years ago, they did a great job..

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS