Goingmake T square

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yup. Some have better ideas, some not. But as these are all CNC made, there is not much excuse for some boutique pricing. The days of claiming cheap or slave labor advantage are gone. Maybe some economic advantages in environmental controls. Also proof, if a company wants to, their quality can be world class.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Copycat, innovation, or prior art?

Well, a T-square is well over 5000 years old. Nothing new there. T-squares, try squares, triangles, levels, story poles... all found in ancient Egypt. White on black. Most contrast so easy to read. Better than red or blue actually. Not very new. 3D corner gauges? Japanese well over a millennia old. Little holes for spacing? I had an Ames lettering guide we used in drafting in the 60's to make guide lines for lettering. It was even more innovative as you could twist the center to get any spacing you wanted. ( $6 on Amazon) So, is Woodpeckers claiming innovation when they are just building 5000 year old tools? Built well, but not exactly unique. Even a fancy wall to hold tools is not new. Just look at some of the fantastic carpenters cabinet's from history. I just use finish nails in my plywood walls. Don't need outlines. :)

Now, I still like my rosewood/brass/steel try square. Just feels good to use it. I wanted a larger square so I got the Goingmake 12. $25 vs $140. How much is the brand name worth? If you are going to charge 5 times, you had better have a reason. Are Lie-Neilson or Clifton rip-offs? Slight tweaks, best possible materials and only 150 to 200% price of a more generic off-shore copy. A good reason to buy them. Value for the price. I am not sure I see value in many of the woodpeckers tools. I do like their table saw fence stop. If I take off my Wixie I never use, it would be a good addition. $250 seams almost reasonable. New idea? Not far off my Underwood typewriter, patent 1908.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 35

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I believe the Bang (not so) Good Veiko\Drillpro is the same, or similar, too.
I bought a few Veiko's & Drillpro's and could never get them exact 90, so tossed them all.. To me, I wasted my hard earned cash.

Glad you have had better luck, or aren't as anal as I am, when it comes to exact 90.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The one I got was like I said, dead nuts on. No light visible against my reference machinist square.
The use a slightly different registration method than I have seen and it seems to work. Cast in tapered pins and four bolts. If it was not dead on, it would have gone back.

They all look similar as they are T-squares, but how they are made differs. Look more closely. Look at a Harbor Freight #4 plane and a Clifton. Side by side they look the same. That's where it ends.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors