East Wake Hardwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodger barrow

New User
rodger
This is Rodger Barrow owner of East Wake Hardwoods and The Woodworkers of North Carolina Gallery (The WONC Gallery). I sell retail furniture grade lumber,(domestic and exotic) in lumber, slabs, and turning stock. The Gallery is set up strickly for the purpose of promoting the woodworkers of North Carolina. I offer a discount to any NCWoodworker member who brings in their coupon. Some of you may be interested in the load of old Walnut that I received yesterday. This is the neighbor hood of 3000 bft. 4/4 and 400 bft. of 8/4. This stock has been drying for over 35 years and came ot of Virginia. Some boards have some issues that I would make allowances for but there is still a tremendous amount of high quality walnut, rich in color that we just don't get to see today. Wide boards are also available. This stock is selling at $4.00 per bft. (regular price is $5.87). With your discount that would put it at $3.60 per bft. If you hav not been out yet to see my wood or check out the gallery, please come by. I think that you will enjoy it. Rodger

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for joining us Rodger!
And thanks for your generousity to NCWWers :icon_thum

Drop in anytime,
Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks for the discount, Rodger! One of these days I need to get out to your store!
Do you carry plywood as well?

dozer

Mike
Roger thanks for thinking of NCWW with this walnut. I go by Rogers place at least once a week sometimes 2 or 3 times in a week. He really does have some great lumber out there and it is worth the drive.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Rodger,
Is any of it quarter sawn? Perhaps a few boards that went through the center of the tree?
Thanks,
Todd

J

jeff...

This is a fantastic deal @ 3.60 a BF, I'm really surprised it's not snatched up yet. Trust me when I say BW stumpage is on the rise which will work it's way up to the consumer eventually. Higher price for the logs means a higher price for the finished product.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Hi Rodger,

I've been to see you a few times. I'll be back maybe today looking for some white oak, but I'll gladly take a look at the walnut!!!!

Tom

BillPappas

New User
Bill
For any of you that have not been out to visit Roger at East Wake Hardwoods you are in for a pleasant surprise. Roger's wood has always been great quality, if you need something he doesn't have he can generally locate what you and need and Roger is very decent guy to deal with.:eusa_clap

Regards,

Bill

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
All,

I was with Rodger on Thursday buying some material, poplar for headboards. He was tremendous. As helpful, nice and neighborly as anyone I have come across. Please support his business. I was astounded at the beautiful material he has on hand. It truly made my head spin.

Good guy and good place.

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I stopped by there yesterday, on a hunt for the perfect piece of wood to re-saw for a Krenov styled cabinet that I had in mind. I flipped boards and looked through the stacks, unable to find what I was looking for. So I finally asked for some help. I was assisted by someone (not Rodger, but someone else working there) who stopped doing the paperwork that he was engaged in and spent prolly a half hour with me trying to find the perfect piece of wood. I walked out of there with some sweet crotch W. Oak...all of $25. Great place and excellent folks, and if you're lucky you'll get the chance to see some monster columns turned on that massive lathe 8-O 8-O 8-O

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
That's a veru generous offer. You are kind of difficult for us to get to without taking a weekday off work, but someday we will.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I didn't get to drive out. One of my kids got a stomach bug :(
But I'm with Cathy, I plan to get out there soon too.
Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
Fix the website please!

So I looked through the website, compared the purple heart and some other prices to the Hardwood Store 25 minutes away. Most prices seemed to be comparable or better so even though I love the Hardwood store, having heard nice things about East Wake HW I grabbed a couple of hundred bucks, and drove out with my father who is visiting from NJ.

An hour and 20 minutes drive to get there, and the prices were double those on the website. Some were more than double. :BangHead:

Now I don't hold it against EWHW if that's what they have to charge. But I could have saved 20 bucks in gas and more than 2 1/2 hours driving if I'd known the actual prices.
If this post seems petty, I apologize. I'm kind of mad right now.

It's actually a pretty nice stock of lumber with some boards that are spectacular. And the guy at the store was very pleasant. So if you don't care about the prices, go for it. But for me, I wasted a large part of my day and was far to annoyed to buy anything when I can save money and have a larger selection far close to home.

Todd

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Re: Fix the website please!

Ouch. I would not be happy if the pricing was not the same as what is advertised on the web.

If it was off by a small amount, say less than .25 bf, I wouldn't mind too much.

Anything more than that and I would not purchase from them on principal alone.

/Kevin

J

jeff...

So I looked through the website, compared the purple heart and some other prices to the Hardwood Store 25 minutes away. Most prices seemed to be comparable or better so even though I love the Hardwood store, having heard nice things about East Wake HW I grabbed a couple of hundred bucks, and drove out with my father who is visiting from NJ.

An hour and 20 minutes drive to get there, and the prices were double those on the website. Some were more than double. :BangHead:

Now I don't hold it against EWHW if that's what they have to charge. But I could have saved 20 bucks in gas and more than 2 1/2 hours driving if I'd known the actual prices.
If this post seems petty, I apologize. I'm kind of mad right now.

It's actually a pretty nice stock of lumber with some boards that are spectacular. And the guy at the store was very pleasant. So if you don't care about the prices, go for it. But for me, I wasted a large part of my day and was far to annoyed to buy anything when I can save money and have a larger selection far close to home.

Todd

Todd Sorry to hear that - this does raise an interesting question. I've been looking at some of the local lumber yard web pages for several months, I can honestly say, dispite that fact that stumpage for some species of local hardwood have doubled in the past 60 days. I have not noticed any of the local lumber yards I look at frequently change their web page price lists.

So the question is: How current is the prices lists on the internet? Lumber is a comodity, I doubt the price remains constant for several months at a time. Expecially since I know what the market value of local hardwood stumpage is and have experienced it's price fluxuation first hand.

Thanks

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

Todd Sorry to hear that - this does raise an interesting question. I've been looking at some of the local lumber yard web pages for several months, I can honestly say, dispite that fact that stumpage for some species of local hardwood have doubled in the past 60 days. I have not noticed any of the local lumber yards I look at frequently change their web page price lists.

So the question is: How current is the prices lists on the internet? Lumber is a comodity, I doubt the price remains constant for several months at a time. Expecially since I know what the market value of local hardwood stumpage is and have experienced it's price fluxuation first hand.

Thanks

What kind of wood prices were double? Was it super wide or figured wood?

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hey Jeff,

I don't know how fast the prices have changed and the guy at EWHW was apologetic that their web site was so out of date. He said they can't update their current web page on their own, only the web host can.

I figure that in that situation you probably shouldn't try to list prices online, and I think they probably know that know. Having heard such good things about them, I suspect they'll fix it by either taking the prices off or getting control of the site so they can keep it up to date. There are ways to link your spreadsheets to your website so your site prices will update when you change your excel price list. Not a bad way to run a web page.

Hopefully nobody else will have the same experience I did since it's so irritating, but I do understand it's not easy to keep a site up to date, so I'm not so mad anymore.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS