Working on Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I am working on the photographic skill. Since I have none, I figure I can go nowhere but up. Opinions welcome, both good and bad, constructive criticism also solicated. Thanks for looking

Gold sycamore Sierra:
gold_sycamore_sierra1.jpg

Sterling silver holly baron fountain:
sterling_silver_holly_baron_fountain.jpg

Gold cocobolo designer slimline:
gold_cocobolo_designer_slimline.jpg

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'm not a photography expert but I like the middle picture the most, the top picture gets second and the bottom gets third place.

I'm not talking about the pen quality or beauty, I'm talking about what the picture says about the pen, how it shows off the product. The second picture has the best composition.

BTW, ALL the pens are beautiful.

Chuck

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Many of the camera's today are great for point and shoot photo's. You will 95% of the time get a nice picture. Where it gets a little bit tougher is when you care to manipulate the picture to get better results than what the pre-programmed settings the camera uses to get the "best exposure". Best exposure is a relative term in this case.

Not knowing your camera, or knowledge of the principals of photography, it is hard to get into too many specifics. However, and this a guess based upon the photo's you posted, it seems you do have the ability to modify your apperture. The larger the apperture or F-Stop, the less "field of focus" you have. In other words, F 1.4 gives you less of a range of focus than F22. The end of the pen may be out of focus at F 1.4 but not at F22. The trade-off is that it requires about 7 times more light to take an F22 shot over an F 1.4. Most of that you can make up by increasing your exposure time (use a tripod)

The other tool your camera comes with is the exposure meter. If you have the ability to operate in full manual mode then let the meter tell you what it thinks you need, exposure 1/125 at F22 for example, and then go ahead and take 3 pictures at F22. The first at 1/60th, 1/125, and the last at 1/250th. This is called bracketing and uses the built in meter for a best guess and gives you a hedge on either side.

One last thing you may try is to experiment with different background materials. Shop towels are the most convenient things around, and I am more than guilty of using my share of them, but they do present problems. Something I started more recently was going to BORG or Lowes to get a couple feet of wallpaper samples here and there. You can find very neutral colors and muted patterns that will not cause your exposure meter to be fooled or the viewer's eyes to be distracted from you showpiece.

At one point I studied to be a professional artistic photographer and have used suede, leather, mirrors, concrete, water, dirt, wood, plastic sheeting, and bubble pack amongst many others are all items I have used as backgrounds. Simple advice is to play at it lots and keep track of what works. One good site that deals with close-up digital photography can be found at Jewelry photography tips - how to photograph jewelry

BTW, very nice work you have done.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol: Clay...while I like terry cloth, I miss the carpet background..ha just kidding. Like the ca finish, I'm gonna sit back and wait for you to master it...just send me your step by step when you get if figured out...haha.

In all honesty...first, let me say that the pens are nice... I really like the holly...very classy and the fountain nib doesn't hurt either :) Second, I see you have a problem that I am battling. The problem, as evident in frame 1 & 3, is that the macro setting has such a small depth of field. So, the back part of the picture is not crisp...no idea what you should do....just pointing it out in hopes that someone can thow out idears!

Keep up the good work master!

Cheers,
Grasshopper...er...Chris

rhett

New User
rhett
I think that the towels are distrating attention from the pens, which look very nice. This is how a past prof. instructed me to shoot 3-D objects. When shooting small items use a setup similar to a science fair booth. The base is a light color that fades into a darker one as it meets the backdrop. At the backdrop the fade starts to reverse back into light as it goes up. This automatically gives the photo depth if done correctly. You may also want to prop the pens up with some sort of transparent medium, this will give the pens a more three dimensional aspect, if side lighted and shot with no flash! Good luck. The more pictures you take of the same object, the more likely you are to get one you like:icon_thum .

clowman

Clay Lowman
There is some great advice here. I do hope it is helpful to more than just me. Keep it coming! I'm going to try some more tomorrow.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, by the end of the thread all my suggestions had already been mentioned. The depth of field issue is what I notice most, no suggestions on how to fix other than get a digital SRL with a macro lens (8-O 8-O $$$$$)

But GREAT looking pens. I'm gonna have to pick your brain on how those styles work, especially the Baron and Sierra.
Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I had a request for this pen this weekend and I think it turned out great. It's Big Leaf Maple from Kyle. I took this opportunity to try a picture myself...please give me criticism! thx...Chris

BTPPen2.jpg

woodguy1975

New User
John
First of all Clay is using a digital SLR camera. :) I know because he has my old one. The macro lens is not what you need for pen shooting. A trrue macro lens is focal area is too small. You use a macro lens for shoothing something the size of a penny, not something the size of the pen. The key feature of the lens is minimum focus length (how close to the lens the peice can be) and the 28-105 lens Clay has does that job very well. Here is a real macro shot. Actually this was taken with my telephoto 70-200L lens and extension tubes, but just know macro isn't what Clay needs.

It is about a few things. I could type a pretty long reponse, but I'll sum it up fairly quickly. First problem is lighting. Clay if you want to shoot pens get a soft box (24"x24") off Ebay that you can shoot your pens in. Get rid of the towel. Second get a couple of halogen lamps from HD and use that to light the softbox. Third get a tripod and shoot with the timer release so your hand isn't on the camera when you shoot it. Fourth you will want to have something to prop the pen up on. Lots of guys use a chunk of burl.

The one problem with halogen lights is the light is fairly dirty. You'll want to use photoshop and a cooling filter to correct the color or correct it with your RAW converter, but they can work on a budget. That is the reason why I invested in the Alien Bee strobes. Good strong clean light. Clay I'd be happy to work up a photo for you to show what can be done to it with photo shop. It can do wonders.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, thanks for that E-bay link. I've been looking for something like that for a while.
I guess I proved my photography knowledge :5dunce: :5dunce: :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
WSD1089: I like the most recent post with the pen on the rock. Excellent use of background materials really help show off your work. I have to agree that a macro lense and light difussion are the way to go. Diffusion is something you can put together on your own, but there is but one way to get the macro effect. The end result of difussion is that you will be able to see true black and true white within the photo while still having tone (tone is how we see shapes, shadows and texture in 2D) in almost every other area of the picture.

Again, nice work.

woodguy1975

New User
John
WSD1089: I like the most recent post with the pen on the rock. Excellent use of background materials really help show off your work. I have to agree that a macro lense and light difussion are the way to go. Diffusion is something you can put together on your own, but there is but one way to get the macro effect. The end result of difussion is that you will be able to see true black and true white within the photo while still having tone (tone is how we see shapes, shadows and texture in 2D) in almost every other area of the picture.

Again, nice work.

Most wide zooms have macro built in anymore. A dedicated macro lens isn't really necessary for shooting a pen. My Sigma 24-70EX F2.8 has macro capability which basically translates to a short focal length so I can get close to the pen and still be focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS