WIP Fanback legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
This weekend I turned the streachers and legs for the Fanback Windsor in progress (see previous post). Next I'll start sculpting the seat, sand and finish. BTW how do you guys who make chairs line up the borings in the seat for the legs? This is my third chair and I have more trouble with this step than any of the rest of the construction.

Attachments

• 100_0405.jpg
    100_0405.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_0404.jpg
    100_0404.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 224

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It's all about compound angles . . . .

I think :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know cause I have never made a chair. I will be interested in the responses too!!!!

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
Larry-------How are you laying out the seat? I made a pattern in the shape of the seat with all the hole locations------spindles, posts, legs, etc. and drilled small holes at each location. I lay the pattern on the seat blank and use an awl to push through the holes in the pattern to transfer locations to the seat blank. It also includes sight lines to aid in aligning the holes. With the legs I use the sight lines along with a T bevel set to the appropriate angle to get the rake and splay of the legs.

If you are using a "plan" from a book or magazine you may not have all the information you need. I have experienced mistakes in book and magazine plans---errors do occur in the process of writting books and articles----and not always caught before going to the press.

If this does not answer the question just give me a shout and I will try again. I do not have all the answers but can tell you what works for me.

BTW--------It looks like you are doing a great job on the chair. The more you do the clearer things will be for you. Practice makes perfect---I still have a lot of practicing to do.

Jerry

Last edited:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Jerry, I'm using tapered M&Ts. My problem is the legs never quite end up at the same angles and I have to do a little fudging by working on one of the holes and forcing the leg into place. I'm not getting consistent results with my boring.

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
Jerry, I'm using tapered M&Ts. My problem is the legs never quite end up at the same angles and I have to do a little fudging by working on one of the holes and forcing the leg into place. I'm not getting consistent results with my boring.

Larry--------I made what I call a "dummy peg". It is just a straight cylinder about 8" long with the same taper on one end as I use on the legs. When I start tapering the mortises for the legs (using a hand brace and tapered bit), I check the angle frequently by placing the dummy peg in the hole and slide the T bevel up to it to check the angle. The T bevel must be aligned with the site line for boring the leg holes. I also put a depth mark on the peg so I can tell when I have tapered deep enough.

I do not think you will ever have the accuracy of a cnc set up-----remember this is HANDCRAFTED. It is not uncommon to have a difference in length of the side stretchers as a result of the leg angle being off a little from exact angle (and there are other factors that can cause that to happen). The important thing is make your stretchers "fit" the distance you have.

When I built my first chair-----my comment was "it ain't perfect but I can live with it". My instructor looked at me and said "I haven't seen the perfect chair yet". We strive to reach perfection but rarely reach it, but it does make our work improve in quality as time goes on and we continue to practice.

Hope this is of some help to you-------I may have some pics that shows the leg boring process. If I have I will post them for you later.

Jerry

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
BTW how do you guys who make chairs line up the borings in the seat for the legs? This is my third chair and I have more trouble with this step than any of the rest of the construction.

Larry---here are some pics of how I do the seat. If you enlarge the pic you will be able to see the site line for aligning the T bevel.

Jerry

Last edited:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Jerry, that looks like it might solve my problem. I've got another seat blank cut out and I'll try it. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS