Transporting upright compressor on it's side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If you were transporting a 60-gal upright compressor, would you lay it on it's side?

My trailer has sides that are about 30-in high - so I can strap it into a corner. If I strap my sawhorses to the inside, I'm pretty sure it will stay where I put it. However, I suspect these are pretty top-heavy. Would I be better off laying it down one some 2x4s, bracing under the pump area? and strapping it to the floor?

I don't mind if it leaks a little oil, but I (obviously) don't want to damage the unit.

TIA, Chris

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you do lay it down to transport you should let it stand upright after you get it in the new place and let the oil run back to the pan for a day or two before you start it.

wayne

New User
wayne
It will more then likely pump oil at startup which would have the potential to have adverse effects on any finishing in the near future. It would be to your advantage to have a good filter in place afterwards and be diligent in draining the tank daily for a while.

wAYNE

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
what about getting it wet?

I guess I should be asking this too...because the forecast for tomorrow is rain :(

My experience with tarps has been that the flapping does more damage to the <item in transit> than the rain would have done. Should I be concerned about it being rained on? I assume the motor is TEFC...is there anything that will be hurt by a thorough drenching?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
drain the oil. then you can lay it down if you want. if it is a used unit the oil prolly needs changing anyway. rain wont hurt it. just let it dry for a day or so before plugging it in.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
drain the oil. then you can lay it down if you want. if it is a used unit the oil prolly needs changing anyway. rain wont hurt it. just let it dry for a day or so before plugging it in.

+1. Additionally, wrap the electric motor and the pressure switch in order to try to keep water out of it.

Another reason to drain the oil is so that it wont seep into the cylinder / chamber area. If enough seeps in, when you start it a "hydro-lock" could result, which would damage the compressor (bent rod and/or broken piston).

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chris,
I would not recommend laying it down.First,oil will get in places it does not need to be,result,oil in your air for the forseeable future.Second,The mounts and suspension under the motor and compressor were meant to function in the vertical position.A better idea would be to get a stout pallet and bolt it down through the tabs on the base like it was shipped originally.Make sure the pallet has a foot print that overcomes the narrow footprint of the unit and drive accordingly.I just moved my milling machine the same way and had no problems going 38 miles on the interstate.IR would void your warranty if they knew it was moved on it's side.
Good Luck,Greg

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Don't lay it down. Get some good straps and tie it down good and drive defensively. Rain won't hurt it. Just let it dry out. Just my opinion.

Jeff :wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris,
A better idea would be to get a stout pallet and bolt it down through the tabs on the base like it was shipped originally.Make sure the pallet has a foot print that overcomes the narrow footprint of the unit and drive accordingly.
Good Luck,Greg

I must admit that Greg's suggestion is a better way to move it, as opposed to laying it on it's side. With the pallet distributing the weight at the bottom (and reducing the liklihood of it tipping over), you can use some ratchet straps through the top of the compressor to secure it. Be sure to take a loop around something up top so that it can't slip on the straps.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't get a pallet stout enough to hold it, double up on some syp 2x4s or 1x6s laterally on the trailer and attach to the feet on the compressor with 1/2" x 4" lag bolts. You can then strap the compressor front to back on the trailer to brace it thataway.

DaveD

New User
Dave
If you strap it upright (BTW, that is what I'd do) be sure to strap it at the bottom near the trailer floor and also at the top of the trailer side. Otherwise it will have a tendency to just roll on the top rail of the trailer side and kick the bottom out.

Don't use bungie (sp?) cords. Use real straps. Also take a $4 tarp and bungie it around/over the compressor before strapping it down. If you do it right it won't flap around. Or take a garbage bag and duct tape it over the head and motor. It should last for a short trip.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Would it be possible to unbolt the compressor motor/pump assembly from the tank and solve your transport problems?? I agree that you should keep the unit uprignt during transport for the reasons stated above. If you are purchasing a new unit, could you have it delivered. Lowes and The Depot will deliver for a minimal fee, usually around $25 bucks.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Would it be possible to unbolt the compressor motor/pump assembly from the tank and solve your transport problems?? I agree that you should keep the unit uprignt during transport for the reasons stated above. If you are purchasing a new unit, could you have it delivered. Lowes and The Depot will deliver for a minimal fee, usually around $25 bucks.

Good question...I hadn't considered that.

It is used...so no delivery (or fee) :>

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Thanks, Dave. I wondered if that would be a possibility so I'm going to put two sets of hooks in my trailer, high and low, to strap around the tank. Looks like I'll be making the trip on Saturday, so hopefully the weather will hold!

Now I just need a ramp for my trailer :> I've got to have some CDX plywood and 2x4 scraps buried around here!

Chris

If you strap it upright (BTW, that is what I'd do) be sure to strap it at the bottom near the trailer floor and also at the top of the trailer side. Otherwise it will have a tendency to just roll on the top rail of the trailer side and kick the bottom out.

Don't use bungie (sp?) cords. Use real straps. Also take a $4 tarp and bungie it around/over the compressor before strapping it down. If you do it right it won't flap around. Or take a garbage bag and duct tape it over the head and motor. It should last for a short trip.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Reread my post and just wanted to mention that I assume you are going to strap it in a front corner of the trailer and not somewhere out in the middle of it.. Strapping it out in the middle of it takes a lot more straps/thought. Just plan for any unexpected vehicle/trailer maneuver and you should be ok.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Yeah, front corner is where I was planning...no easy way to do it elsewhere, especially since my trailer has shorter sides on the back half of the trailer.

Reread my post and just wanted to mention that I assume you are going to strap it in a front corner of the trailer and not somewhere out in the middle of it.. Strapping it out in the middle of it takes a lot more straps/thought. Just plan for any unexpected vehicle/trailer maneuver and you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS