Tool purchase dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have some tool purchasing money gained as a consolation prize for aging another calendar year (soon, not there yet) I have decided that my next tool need is a better sanding set-up. I currently have a low-end Delta Shopmaster 6" disk/4" belt sander. It works pretty well for what I've asked of it, but the disk size and it's table really leave me wanting more. Also I have really wanted a oscillating spindle sander. Unfortunately I have found only one model of combination OSS/disk sander and it's a fair bit out of my price range. My dilemma is should I get just a OSS, and struggle along with the small disk that I have? Should I get a bigger disk sander and wait on the OSS? Should I get a low-end model of each? Or will the Rigid OSS/edge belt sander fit the bill for both operations???

This is really what I would like to have:

g0529.jpg

But with shipping it is about $250 more than I have to blow....anyone have an extra $250 lying around that they don't need :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIA for any advice and helping me to spend my money.
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You can get a 12" disk sander from either HF or Delta for a little over/ under $100. Not a bad deal. They are pretty much generic tools. Or if you have a 1725 RPM ball bearing motor handy, Shopsmith will sell you a disk that fits on a 5/8" shaft for about $50. To save on paper expenses, go to Klingspor's and get paper from bargin box and cut your own disks. Spray on adhesive, or disk cement will work.

alleng

New User
allen
dave,i have the ridgid oss-belt sander,i have never used any of the higher end units like the griz,so i cant even begin to compare it...but,the ridgid seems to do a good job on light stuff,it actually eats the wood up pretty good.there is a little vibration in the shaft,but i did get mine second handed,and i cant say as for the longitivity of it as ive only had it a month or so.

M

McRabbet

Dave,

Here's what I bought when I faced the same issues a few years ago -- and it is about the same money: First, the G1014Z 6"x48" Belt/9" Disk for $295...

g1014z.jpg

and then the G5038 benchtop Oscillating Sander at $149
g0538.jpg

With shipping, it's about the same money... I've been happy with both units -- basic Chevy models, but they get the job done and have worked well every time I use them...

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a Jet 6 x 48 belt with a 12" disc. I can't say that I would buy another combo. My preference would be to have an oscillating belt and a seperate disc as it is hard to position the combo so that you can use either side without moving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS