Shopsmith Vs Midi lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
This post got me thinking back to last year when my uncle was extolling the virtues of his ShopSmith. I've heard quite a few people here say that the SS is good at many things but great at none. OTOH, I've found a number of people who think that the SSV is actually a _better_ woodworking drill press than most drill presses for - due to the VS, large table with good fence and micro-adjusting table. So, if you've used an SS as a drill press- what do you think?

BTW, the reason this ticked my interest is that I currently have a tiny benchtop drilll press that I'd like to upgrade. I'd also like to try out a lathe someday - primarily for spindle work, but it is probably not something I would use very frequently. And I'm pretty space constrained.

TIA!
C

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've found the drill press to be quite good. The variable speed on the MarkV's is a spin dial, so not as limited as with belts.

Space savings is one of the hallmarks of the ShopSmith.

One thing you hear is the top notch support from the company as well. My story? I purchased a new biscuit joiner attachment that I didn't use for about a year. When I opened it up, one of the carbide teeth had fallen off the blade.

I called them, they were very friendly, had me send it to them. They sent me a new blade. No charges.

Its that sort of treatment that earn life long loyal customers.

Jim

Len

New User
Len

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Len! You wrock!! I'm so literal, it never occurred to me to run a board between the tubes.

Schaweet!

Jim

You can see some pictures of a Mark V being used as a drillpress at: http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/ver_drl.htm

Note that you can also run long boards between the upright tubes and support them with tables attached to the horizontal tubes behind the motor head.

The horizontal boring feature, http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/hor_borng.htm , makes it very easy to use dowels (remember them?) for edge gluing boards to build up table tops, etc. No jigs required.

Len

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've found the drill press to be quite good. The variable speed on the MarkV's is a spin dial, so not as limited as with belts.

Hmmm, it looks like the SSV only goes down to 700 RPM - which is quite a bit too high for large forstners and flywheel cutters. That's too bad - it was looking like a really good choice for me :(

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I understand you have purchased another lathe already but just another comment on this tread from a Shopsmith owner. The SS does have an issue finding somethings available for other lathes but Oneway chucks and second party tool rests are available and they can be converted to another lathe when and if you want. I do like the pictures of other SS that have dropped the metal legs and built a better stand for it. It does like to walk around the shop with off center wood. If I cut it round I can turn 12" without much a problem. I find the tighting of the wood the biggest issue as you move the head stock and then press a lever to clamp the wood in. I haven't lost any wood blocks yet but it isn't as good as the newer methods.
Yes I would love a Oneway or PM but it works for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS