Shop-made Trashcan Pre-Separator Lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thought you might like to see my latests project. I wanted to build a separator for my new Delta 50-760 1-1/2 HP Dust Collector -- a recent Gloat.

It really works good! Check out the nifty sawdust level window:

I was hoping I could make one similar to one of the separators in this recent post http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10099

I made a low-profile reducer (no small effort in itself) to go between the DC and the separator, and seceded to squeeze it in. The Outlet was centered in the lid, however the DC input is offset by 2 inches. The 30 gallon can was simply to large; it was a tight fit and to much of a hassle to remove to empty the can.

Follow the link to my photo album for more pictures, with construction details. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1022

Some will say -- why not just buy one of the commercial plastic lids? My research indicated that some of these lids are flimsy, and not all have the output port in the center of the lid. The biggest reason is that I found this new 30 gallon can in the local Good Will store for $5.00:) -- and I am retired.

-Don

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Don,

Regardless of what others will say (about pre-made anything) I suspect it's just more fun to invent / build it yourself. So, what do you do with the chips / sawdust / etc.? I generally shovel mine up and deposit it in the natural area, so as to render unto the trees, that which is the trees'.

Ray

jglord

New User
John
Thanks for the great photos. Your work looks great. :eusa_clap

I've heard separators reduce the airflow/suction for the DC unit. Do you have any feeling about the effect of adding the separator? :eusa_thin

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice! Timing is perfect, I'm working on my DC right now and need to mangle my trashcan soon.

Couple of questions:
- How big is the can? You wrote the 30 gallon can is too big, but that you bought a 30 gallon can for $5...typo?
- One of the photo details mentioned you used angle brackets to secure the elbow. What about the straight pipe, how is that attached to the lid? GE Silicone II Clear Household Glue only?
- Did you put anything into the recess that fits over the can rim, like weatherstripping?
- The top looks like rubber, is it just paint?
- Did you consider just using a PVC 4" to 3" reducer so that the hose fits over it?
- Am I asking too many questions? :)

Forgive me if I copy your design here down to the last blatant detail....it looks great!

Bas.

KC7CN

New User
Don
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words! Added a couple more that may help.

PVC Plumbing

Close-up Detail of Right-Angle Brace.

Very nice! Timing is perfect, I'm working on my DC right now and need to mangle my trashcan soon.

Couple of questions:
- How big is the can? You wrote the 30 gallon can is too big, but that you bought a 30 gallon can for $5...typo? The diameter of the can is 20-3/4 inches, and the height is 26 inches - to tall to sit on under the DC motor.

- One of the photo details mentioned you used angle brackets to secure the elbow. What about the straight pipe, how is that attached to the lid? GE Silicone II Clear Household Glue only? The Outlet pipe is secured with GE Silicone II Household Glue (top side), and fits very tight in the hole. The 45 degree PVC Elbow on top rotates, but does not seem to leak; I can always add a right angle bracket if necessary.

- Did you put anything into the recess that fits over the can rim, like weatherstripping? Poly Foam Calk Saver (foam tube). Here's a link. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1022/8_P1010816.jpg

- The top looks like rubber, is it just paint? Flat Black oil-base paint.

- Did you consider just using a PVC 4" to 3" reducer so that the hose fits over it? No. I wasn't certain how to make the connection to the hose. I read about the PVC 4" to 3" reducer for this use, but decided to use what I had. However - the Jet Quick Disconnects are nice when you want to empty the can or use a different hose.

- Am I asking too many questions? :) No way! I was not able to find a lot of information on shop-made trashcan separators in my search of the Internet. That's why I put a lot of detail in the Photograph Details. I consider it a privilege to be able to post, and share woodworking photo's on this forum. Just my way to contributing.

Forgive me if I copy your design here down to the last blatant detail....it looks great! Thank you for the complement.

Bas.

Last edited:

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks for the great photos. Your work looks great. :eusa_clap

I've heard separators reduce the airflow/suction for the DC unit. Do you have any feeling about the effect of adding the separator? :eusa_thin

John, based on what I've read the separator does reduce the airflow to some degree. The old 'hand over the hose' test seems to confirm this!

I have some machines that I plan to plumb with a short section of 4" PVC, that do not create a lot of sawdust - belt sander, router table, and band saw. I may just connect this run directly to the DC for the reason stated.
The planer and jointer however, make a lot of dust. Since I drag the DC hose to each machine, the pre-separator appears to have sufficient suction to do the job.

-Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
[banana]You are the MAN![/banana]
Don, thank you so much for the additional information! You're right, there's not a lot of information out there, and this does require a little engineering. There are plenty of "final results" pictures, but almost none show the secrets inside.

Thanks again.

Bas.

M

McRabbet

Don/Bas,

I made a Chip Separator based on plans in Issue 55 of ShopNotes that works quite well and is made using plywood, some Schedule 40 pipe and a standard round waste barrel on wheels. Here's a picture from my Dust Collection Gallery -- if you're interested in the plans, send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a PDF of the article.

I connect this unit with flex hose to my planer or jointer and it captures about 80% of their output, saving me trips around the back of my house to the crawl space where my DC unit is located to empty its catch bag (it is located under my basement shop). This unit will probably go away this Fall as I just bought a 5 HP ClearVue Cyclone and will upgrade my system to 6" ducts -- the new cyclone has so much suction, I'm sure it will pull everything straight through this separator. I've got some ideas in my head for a bigger model to run with 6" ductwork.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Excellent work Don:eusa_clap. Thanks for sharing your idea:icon_thum.
By the way, there's nothing wrong with a "mind over money" philosophy:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin. I try to use that same philosophy. Only problem is, I have even less mind than I do money:lol:.
Take care,

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'd like a copy of that plan please. rmedlin3 at carolina.rr.com will get it to me. Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The box on top is intriguing. I've seen a picture similar to Don's design before (with an elbow for input and straight pipe for output), wouldn't mind seeing how the cyclone effect is generated with your setup. Thanks for sharing!

I took a look at your pictures, and I really like the idea of having the dust collector in the crawl space. Who needs 1 micron filters when the dust just collects out of harm's way? I could have done that too, I have a small crawl space next to the shop. Of course, I just had to go and start running pipe this weekend, and it's on the wrong side for that. Oh well.

BTW, how long is the run from your trash can to the actual dust collector? Seems like an awfully long pipe. It is short of reassuring though, looks like my HF unit will probably do OK.

Bas.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Rob, I found your separator when I was doing my research, and was intrigued with the design. Nice work!

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed looking through your photo album too! Your Blast Gates really look good and sturdy.

-Don

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW, I like yours better than the flimsy ones you can buy at the store.

One thought on how to regain some suction if it interests you. I have read that flex hose is an enemy for dust collection as it reduces suction substantially. If you have it, might think about sticking some rigid pipe between the separator and the collector. I'm not an engineer and have no clue how much benefit it would have if you did it.

Regardless, what you got is going to be a WHOLE lot better than fighting with those bags.

mburke911

New User
Mark
I have wondered why they don't replace the plastic bag in the DC with a can. It could lock into place and a soft seal could connect like the bag does (or a better way). Then when it is full you could just pull it out and empty it, replace and go.

Even it it wasn't part of the original sale it could be an add on (as price and proffit are likely the reason)

Now that doesn't remove the issue of cleaning the shop with the DC... pulling screws and larger chips through the blades.

Mark

KC7CN

New User
Don
I have wondered why they don't replace the plastic bag in the DC with a can. It could lock into place and a soft seal could connect like the bag does (or a better way). Then when it is full you could just pull it out and empty it, replace and go.

Even it it wasn't part of the original sale it could be an add on (as price and proffit are likely the reason)

Now that doesn't remove the issue of cleaning the shop with the DC... pulling screws and larger chips through the blades.

Mark

Sounds like a good idea, but this would not give you the added protection of large objects getting pulled into the impeller.

-Don

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thought you might be interested to see some pictures of the low-profile 5" to 4" Reducer I made -- an attempt to make room for the 30 gallon trashcan separator to sit under the DC motor. The Delta 5" to 4" reducer does not fit over the DC input port; wrong type of reducer! My shop made reducer works good for what it is, but not good enough for this application.

The photo's in this link have Detail notes on how it was made: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1029

You win some, and loose some! :eusa_booh

-Don

PS: Sorry I didn't include a picture of the separator crammed underneath the new reducer; not worth the effort!

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember seeing an adapter for sale a few years back to use a metal trash can. I wonder if it would reduce suction though.

KC7CN

New User
Don

Couple of questions:,,,,
- Did you consider just using a PVC 4" to 3" reducer so that the hose fits over it? ,,,,,

Bas.

Bas, I was puzzled why you would want to restrict the air flow by reducing the size of the PVC to 3". Is there something I'm missing?

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS