SawStop contractors model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..That impressed me !:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Something else learned tonite. I didn't realize that with the Sawstop, you could override the blade brake. (I guess I don't understand why you would do that .. unless blade brake's/blades are expensive to replace and your name was Canuck?:BangHead:)

Anyway. Sure looks like a dandy saw!

Thanks Dave for the link!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The whole hot dog test thing is interesting. Obviously it is better than using your finger ;) Paul at Klingspor was telling folks as he was doing a demo, that there had been some reviews out there where the hot dog didn't fair so well. The problem is that in those tests the hot dog was just attached to a board and ran through the saw. Well the blade braking system works on the detection of a change in electrical conductivity. The hot dog only attached to a board didn't have enough change to fire the brake mechanism properly. When the hot dog is held on a board by a human hand, the system works like it should. I have seen it and there wasn't even a mark on the hot dog. YMMV based on feed rate.
This electrical conductivity issue is why the braking system can also be turned off. If you are wanting to do some cutting with lumber that isn't totally dry, like PT lumber, you can shut the system off so the increased moisture content in the wood won't cause it to fire.

MTCW,
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you're ripping green logs (high moisture content), there is a chance the brake would fire even though there was no body part in the blade. Hence the option to override it. I doubt many people cut that kind of lumber on a Sawstop though.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The whole hot dog test thing is interesting. Obviously it is better than using your finger ;) Paul at Klingspor was telling folks as he was doing a demo, that there had been some reviews out there where the hot dog didn't fair so well. The problem is that in those tests the hot dog was just attached to a board and ran through the saw. Well the blade braking system works on the detection of a change in electrical conductivity. The hot dog only attached to a board didn't have enough change to fire the brake mechanism properly. When the hot dog is held on a board by a human hand, the system works like it should. I have seen it and there wasn't even a mark on the hot dog. YMMV based on feed rate.
This electrical conductivity issue is why the braking system can also be turned off. If you are wanting to do some cutting with lumber that isn't totally dry, like PT lumber, you can shut the system off so the increased moisture content in the wood won't cause it to fire.

MTCW,
Dave:)
That is just too cool, it is amazing what modern technology can do to enhance the safety of our vises and habits . For someone who is missing the ends of two fingers due to a wood splitter accident, I am thoroughly impressed with the saw stop technology. Wonder if it can be incorporated into hydraulic wood splitters?
:BangHead::BangHead:

T

toolferone

You also need to cut it off if you are cutting non-ferrous metal. BTW I have done the test myself with the hotdog and it is very cool. I was using what I thought was a normal feed rate and it just broke the skin of the hotdog.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If you're ripping green logs (high moisture content), there is a chance the brake would fire even though there was no body part in the blade. Hence the option to override it. I doubt many people cut that kind of lumber on a Sawstop though.

Explains the override perfectly!!!:thumbs_up

Thanks Bas and DaveO

Wayne

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Anybody that hasn't seen the test, should. It was amazing, I was expecting a loud screeching sound when it stopped and all it did was make a thump and disappear. It was phenomenal.

Jimmy:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow. 8-O I didn't notice the video links at the bottom of Dave's link until I watched this one on youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFjehKIAgls

Once the hotdog got up to the blade, the blade cutoff and dropped down below the table in 5 thousands of a second!

If the saw blade has to cutoff, it blows the brake cartridge, which costs about $70 to replace (according to this video). Still, that is much better than losing a finger. If I had that, I would probably operate it on bypass mode most of the time, unless I were making a little more of a dangerous cut or had an inexperienced person helping. Very cool stuff! Thanks for the link Dave! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Wow. 8-O I didn't notice the video links at the bottom of Dave's link until I watched this one on youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFjehKIAgls

Once the hotdog got up to the blade, the blade cutoff and dropped down below the table in 5 thousands of a second!

If the saw blade has to cutoff, it blows the brake cartridge, which costs about $70 to replace (according to this video). Still, that is much better than losing a finger. If I had that, I would probably operate it on bypass mode most of the time, unless I were making a little more of a dangerous cut or had an inexperienced person helping. Very cool stuff! Thanks for the link Dave! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

Actually the cost is $70 plus the cost of a new blade, but as you say it is much better than losing a finger.

Jimmy:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
It's unfortunate that so often things like this are so expensive as they really are great improvements. Obviously even saving your fingers once is worth much more than the price of the saw, but overall the higher price will keep it out of more shops than anything.

Kind of like organic foods in the store. It's always more expensive and it's hard to justify paying 1/2 again more for a cucumber even though you know it's probably better for you.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
average table saw injury in a professional shop costs well over $30,000 when all workman's compensation costs are considered.. unfortunately, there isn't yet an adjustment available from most WC insurers for safety features like the SawStop - but your rates won't go up for a TS accident:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS