Reins from Above group project -redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I started a thread a while back about a group project - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/reins-above-group-project-17778/
Thanks to all for your willingness to help. And a extra thanks to those members who've nagged me a bit to get this moving. Until recently I didn't have much of a plan as to what or how this should be done. Well this weekend I just started on it. I created quite a few cut-outs that I am pretty happy with -

Halloween_08_021.jpg

Halloween_08_022.jpg

Halloween_08_023.jpg

I debated over the best way to get the patterns needed. In the end it was just easiest to create them myself. I printed off a few pictures from the web (coloring pages provided me the best designs) those and a few scroll patterns provided by NC Sroller gave me all that I needed to draw my own. I took some brown craft paper and folded sheets in half. Then I free-handed the outline (half) of the butterflies on the folded paper. I cut them out after that, and the results when opened gave my a symmetrical butterfly. The rest of the cut out were just hand sketched and then transfered to the wood.
I cut everything with my jig saw. The edges need a quick swipe with sand paper, but other than that they are pretty smooth.
I ended up using some Arauco Plywood, 1/2" thickness, from Lowe's. It was the flattest of the stacks and looked like it didn't have any voids. It's laminated with a WBP rated phenolic- formaldehyde glue that is suppost to stand up to boiling water for 10-20 hours. It is considered weather-resistant. It cost $24 a sheet, but life is too short to play with bad plywood.
I got all that you see out of two sheets of plywood.
What I am needing now are more butterflies/misc bugs. Probably another 6-12 would be great. Whatever size that you want to come-up with. I have the paper patterns that I made if anyone needs a pattern.
Mostly more flowers would help. I cut three and could use another 6-8 more.
Thanks to everyone for their help with this. I think that this will be a very cool and highly appreciated feature for this great charity.
Dave:)

Last edited:

lhendri479

New User
Linda
I do have some images I can send you. Let's give it a go. And some dragonflies too

Well - I thought I was going to - but it seems I cannot post a photo inside this note.

If I add them to my photo album will you be able to download or print them from there if you choose to use any? I can also send by private email if you would rather

Let me know and I will do ASAP

Linda

lhendri479

New User
Linda
I just posted them to my photo album for you. If you need more, let me know

Linda

448355-011A_edited.jpg

Bumblebee.jpg

Caddisfly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:eusa_doh: I have a pattern for a large butterfly, and smaller ones, on 1/4" ply. I bought them for some odd reason (since I do not have a scroll saw).

Why is it I cannot read and think at the same time? :dontknow:

lhendri479

New User
Linda
Thank you for the compliment - Trying to start chip carving gourds, but trying to find the right knife first - working on it!!!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
DaveO, looks like you're off to a good start. :icon_thum:icon_thum

How big/tall do you want the flowers? Those look to be in the 20-24" range or am I off on my guesstimation? Did you have a time frame in mind for when you'd like to have these by? I'm working this weekend so it would probably be next week before I have time to work on any.

Also, what did you think about the Sun and cloud suggestion?

Brian.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO, looks like you're off to a good start. :icon_thum:icon_thum

How big/tall do you want the flowers? Those look to be in the 20-24" range or am I off on my guesstimation? Did you have a time frame in mind for when you'd like to have these by? I'm working this weekend so it would probably be next week before I have time to work on any.

Also, what did you think about the Sun and cloud suggestion?

Brian.

I was making the flowers in the 3-4' tall range and that was getting me at least 4 out of a ply sheet. I like the idea of the sun and clouds. I think it might be best to see how all the cut-outs fill the space. There is no time frame for this project, you can't put a deadline on volunteer work, and it's gonna take a long time to get them all painted.
thanks,

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dave,

I managed to get a few done today....

Two "large butterflies" - about 20" x 33"....

Three "medium butterflies" - about 17" x 27"....

Six "small butterflies" - about 8" x 14" ....

Two "small bugs" - about 12" x 12" and a butterfly in steep climb - about 15" x 21"....

I went out to the two Lowes here in Cary and they said that they didn't have any 1/2" Arauco Plywood!:dontknow: I ended up using 3/8" exterior grade pine plywood :eek: on most of them. Also used some 1/2" plywood scraps around the garage on a couple of the small butterflies and a bug!

Hope that they will be acceptable! I will tell you what! I sure have a much deeper appreciation for the work that our scrollers do around here!!!!!

HTH,

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
DaveO, I won't be able to do mine until next week but count me in on cutting.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

I managed to get a few done today....

Two "large butterflies" - about 20" x 33"....

Three "medium butterflies" - about 17" x 27"....

Six "small butterflies" - about 8" x 14" ....

Two "small bugs" - about 12" x 12" and a butterfly in steep climb - about 15" x 21"....

I went out to the two Lowes here in Cary and they said that they didn't have any 1/2" Arauco Plywood!:dontknow: I ended up using 3/8" exterior grade pine plywood :eek: on most of them. Also used some 1/2" plywood scraps around the garage on a couple of the small butterflies and a bug!

Hope that they will be acceptable! I will tell you what! I sure have a much deeper appreciation for the work that our scrollers do around here!!!!!

HTH,

Wayne

Wayne those are awesome. I like them all a lot, but the small bugs are too cool. I tried to do a Ladybug, but it ended up looking like a turtle.
Thank-you very much for helping with this. Those are gonna look great with the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS