Raleigh CL: "LEXAN" - Polycarbonate sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
No idea if this is a good price, but it seems reasonable. I wouldn't mind a piece of 3/8" myself, but it's a little out of the way.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/1058994916.html

Polycarbonate sheets for sale. Clear/Transparant. As-new condition with backing film on both sides. Commonly known as "Lexan" or "Makrolon" - Both are "brand" names for polycarbonate. Great as unbreakable windows, machinery guards etc.

I have 5 sheets of 1/4" thick x 24" x 48" at $25 ea. or all 5 for $100.
(These cost around $60 ea. new or $7.50 per sq. ft.)

I have 1 piece - 3/8" thick x approx. 20" x 39" at $15
I have 1 piece - 3/8" thick x approx. 18" x 38" at $15
I have 7 pieces - 3/8" thick x approx. 10'' x 24" at $5 ea.
(3/8" thick sells new for around $12.50 per sq. ft.)

adowden

New User
Amy
I called this morning. I agreed to buy it all on Friday. What I am thinking is that I could take what I need (1 large piece of 3/8" thick and one 1/4" piece) and bring the rest to an Apex, Cary or RTP lunch bunch and people can buy what they want.

Bas gets first dibs since he posted the opportunity. Jeremy if you are coming to the picnic, let me know what you want and I can bring it then. The seller also mentioned that he would throw in some smaller pieces that he didn't mention in the listing.

Here is what I think will be available:

4 sheets of 1/4" thick - 24" x 48" - $25 each

1 piece of 3/8" thick - 18" x 38" - $15

7 pieces of 3/8 thick - 10" x 24" - $5 each

Reply to this post with what you want, and I will try to make a list.

Also what date works better for lunch - Friday the 13th (he he he) or Monday the 16th and where - Apex, Cary or RTP.

Amy

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for arranging the buy Amy, fantastic! And an excellent excuse for me to finally go to lunch :) Friday 13th sounds good to me, Cary or Apex would be great.

I'll take one sheet of 1/4" x 24" x 48", and two of the 7/8" x 10" x 24" pieces. But, if you're stuck for a buyer for the rest, let me know and I'll buy some more pieces. That way, you're not the one holding the bag. I'm sure I can find a use for it eventually.

Jeremy - let me know what you want, and I'll make arrangements with Amy. That way, she gets her money quicker, and you owe me :)

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sweet!

I would like a couple of the smaller pieces 3/8 @ $5

If thats ok!

I emailed the buyer and he emailed me saying it had all been sold.

Way to Score!

Matt

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Wow, that seems like a very good deal. If someone needs acrylic cement for this stuff, think I've still got some weld-on #4 and #16 left over from my last project - please PM me. Will trade for lathe lessons :).

Glennbear

Glenn
Great score Amy, I suspected it would not last at that price nor will you have trouble selling what you do not need. :wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
So, Amy you're the one that beat me to it!:rotflm: Seller sent email sayiing it was mine, then sent another saying his wife promised it to someone. Oh well.:cry_smile:tinysmile_cry_t:

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Amy,

If any of the 3/8 is still available I would like a couple of the small pieces. Let me know

James

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
If any of you guys dont need polycarbonate in particular, I always have tons of extruded acrylic scraps laying around. Drop me a line if you need any. Machines just fine on the table saw, although I'm usually cutting it on the laser.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there Amy,

If there is any if the 1/4 X 24 X 48 pieces left, I could use one.

This is mighty good of you to look after all of these Sawdusters chasing a deal!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks,

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If any of you guys dont need polycarbonate in particular, I always have tons of extruded acrylic scraps laying around. Drop me a line if you need any. Machines just fine on the table saw, although I'm usually cutting it on the laser.

I know very little about the various types of "plexiglass". How would "extruded acrylic scraps" do as a guard for a woodworking tool? Is it shatter proof?

BTW, thanks for the offer! :icon_thum

adowden

New User
Amy
Wow, thanks for all the response. I think everything is accounted for. Here is the list:

1/4" sheets 24" x 48" - 1) Bas 2) Jeremy 3) Jeremy 4) Dick 5) Wayne

big 3/8" sheet - 18" x 38" - Gary

small 3/8" sheets 1) Bas 2) Bas 3) Jeremy 4) Jeremy 5) Matt 6) Matt 7) Gary

How about we plan for a Friday the 13th lunch somewhere around Hwy 55 and 64 in Apex? Any suggestions for restaurants?

I will update this post on Friday after I pick up the pieces with any little pieces that he said he would "throw in". Please let me know if you see any mistakes that I made in separating the orders.

Amy

eyekode

New User
Salem
I know very little about the various types of "plexiglass". How would "extruded acrylic scraps" do as a guard for a woodworking tool? Is it shatter proof?

BTW, thanks for the offer! :icon_thum

I second the question. I just need some to make router plates/jigs. Would extruded acrylic work for that?
Thanks!
Salem

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Ditto NC Turner!

I was a bit disappointed when I heard from seller that it had all been sold so quickly.

Didn't think that a NCWW'r had swooped and scooped!

But glad you did!

Thanks for sharing!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS