Old Titebond III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
I have a 16 oz. bottle of Titebond III with a date code of "7JE174.17". If I understand correctly, that means it was bottled in September of 2007. The Titebond site says:
The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form.
The bottle is almost full and it is as smooth and liquid as the day I bought it. Is age alone a reason to toss it?

Thanks,
Charles

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
try it on a couple of pieces of scrap and see

+1. I just did this on a old bottle. Shook real hard for several minutes. Let it sit overnight with the nozzle on the down side and glues up some scrap. Tried to break them and they all failed in the wood.
Still, Glue is cheap and I would hate to see a project come apart down the road to slightly out of spec glue.

DWSmith

New User
David
Glue is cheap as compared to a ruined project. If it were me, I would trash the old bottle and get some fresher glue, just to be sure and safe.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I just threw out all my glue and plan on doing so every New Year's going forward. It just isn't worth using old glue. And you need to check it in the store! I bought some Titebond at one of the local suppliers this year and found out aftwerwards that it expired in 2008. If those cabinets come off the wall, I'm going to be PO'ed!

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I would throw it out. I had a similar situation but I was at the bottom of the bottle and mine turned almost into water. I guess for $8 - $10 I would just go buy more. This is why I never by it by the gallon. I just don't use enough. You could what some other suggested and try it on scrap but again would like the others said see a project ruined because of it.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I just tossed a half of a bottle of titebond. I started buying the smaller bottles just so I wouldnt waste so much.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Toss it. The couple bucks you save is not worth a project failing at the glue joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS