Old Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I got some old iron given to me and after a little searching and asking around, I discovered I had an old, late 1940's to early 50's era, Craftsman table saw. It needs some cleaning up and probably a few new parts here and there but overall, it's in great condition. A little surface rust that can be sanded down, a few adjustments here and there, and I'm hoping I can out it back in serviceable condition. Anybody have a line on replacement parts availability, please pass along the info.
SANY0018.JPG

SANY0027.JPG

It came to me mounted on a fairly large roll-a-way table that was obviously homemade some time back, and it had a HUGE motor attached to it. From what I've seen on the web, this is not the original motor but from what I can tell, it runs pretty good though it does need some TLC and maybe a bearing or two.
SANY0019.JPG

This is the ID plate on the motor housing.
SANY0023.JPG

Also along for the ride was this, :dontknow:, whatever it is thingamajiggy. It looks kinda like a saw blade of some sort but all the "teeth" are pointing in the same direction. :eusa_thin Anybody got any ideas as to what it is, I'd appreciate the info.
SANY0022.JPG

I also was given an old Task Force table top type saw that runs great and needs some cleaning. Have to rig it up on something and see what I can do with it. Nah, it ain't no Grizzly but it'll cut wood and I've used one similar to make a little pocket money with before so I ain't complainin', no sir, not at all.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
You need to go over to http://owwm.com and look around there for a manual on the saw.

Next, join up with http://owwm.org (the discussion forum group). You can then read till your eyes bleed. Several members here are also on there. They have a BOYD (Bring out your dead) section where you can ask and look for parts.

A good source for bearings is Accurate. Check the OWWM.org site for contact info.

No the motor is not original, but if it runs then I would change out the bearings and any cracked wiring and let 'er rip. Those old motors are a delight to use. Plenty strong for that size saw. Make SURE that you have it wired for 110V not 220V. Unless of course you have a 220V circuit for the saw. Wiring for 220 and trying to run on 110 leads to all sorts or aggravation.

If you don't want that motor, let me know, I have a bandsaw that could use it.

Enjoy. Take a lot of digital pictures. We love to watch a recovery project and it may save your bacon during reassembly. Old Arn as they say is a slippery slope. Next thing you know your building a 24' x 48' workshop to house all the restoration projects like that 36" bandsaw and the 16" jointer.:rotflm:

Dragon

New User
David
You need to go over to http://owwm.com and look around there for a manual on the saw.

Next, join up with http://owwm.org (the discussion forum group). You can then read till your eyes bleed. Several members here are also on there. They have a BOYD (Bring out your dead) section where you can ask and look for parts.

A good source for bearings is Accurate. Check the OWWM.org site for contact info.

No the motor is not original, but if it runs then I would change out the bearings and any cracked wiring and let 'er rip. Those old motors are a delight to use. Plenty strong for that size saw. Make SURE that you have it wired for 110V not 220V. Unless of course you have a 220V circuit for the saw. Wiring for 220 and trying to run on 110 leads to all sorts or aggravation.

If you don't want that motor, let me know, I have a bandsaw that could use it.

Enjoy. Take a lot of digital pictures. We love to watch a recovery project and it may save your bacon during reassembly. Old Arn as they say is a slippery slope. Next thing you know your building a 24' x 48' workshop to house all the restoration projects like that 36" bandsaw and the 16" jointer.:rotflm:

:gar-Bi I've already got a 10 X 30 mini warehouse stacked full of "projects" and asst. other sundry things that "I might need one of these here days" so I can relate to the big workshop. Need one of those too..........

Thanks for the links and the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS