New woodturner; advice on starter setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Last night I attended my first woodturning class and I am hooked! The class I signed up for is at the NC State Crafts Center and is being taught by Bill Wallace, a heck of a nice guy. It was such a good time. Now this is only a 6 night class, but it only took one to bring about the fever for a lathe.

So, I ask to the woodturners out there, what are your recommendations for a starter setup? I would like to continue learning: bowls, spindle, and pens. Price ceiling is $500. I look forward to your input.

Michael

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Michael,
I just went through the same thing.
I found a new used JET mini Lathe that has variable speed.
After turning with a VS lathe I'm hooked.
The biggest thing I learned is that a cheap set of tools is exactly that.
After replacing my first purchases with better quality tools I noticed a world of difference.
I also had the opportunity to spend some time with a fellow turner that
helped me with some of my choices.

The size lathe I have is perfect for what I want to do in the space I had.
I also got to turn on NZapp's bigger Delta Lathe and if I had the space I would have one.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies from the various more experienced turners....
Ron

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Michael,

I just started turning about 6 months ago. My wife bought me a class in Greensboro. Within a month I had a small lathe and was making piles of shavings.

I have the Rikon from Woodcraft, price is about $250.00. I also purchased Roughing gouge, spindle gouge and parting tool to start. Total invested was about $350.00. I did just this past week get a skew chisel. But, this is not something I think you need right away. The Roughing, Spindle and parting tools are needed. You might save a little money and buy a set, if you can find a decent one.

Do not go by bargain turning tools, trust me on this one.

I blame it all on my wife. :slap:

dozer

Mike
I have a Rikon also. I have used it quite a bit since I got it and would recommend it to someone starting out. As far as turning tools go I bought the $49 set from Harbor Freight and have had no problems turning with them. You might also consider the Pinnacle set from Woodcraft they are decent tools.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally I have the HF lathe around $200 on sale, HF "good" chisel set $40, a couple nicer bowl gouges, an a Oneway Talon chuck $200+. I feel that the HF lathe is as good as any of the other overseas produced models, and the HF set of tools is great for learning to sharpen on, and do a pretty good cutting job also. If you are interested in bowl turning, you will need a good chuck, that can cost as much as a decent lathe, but it's difficult to turn a bowl without one. Another thing to consider as a neccesary tool for turning is a decent slow speed grinder, and also helpful is a sharpening jig like the Wolverine system. I don't have that yet, but really find that it is a needed item. Sharp tools make turning much more fun and successful.
For pens you will need a mandrel, helpful but not absolutly required - a drilling jig. CA glue, and Micromesh, a end mill, pen kits with the required bushings and bits. I use a Bessy clamp for a pen press.

Michael, you are more than welcome to come by my shop this Saturday afternoon, if you want to see my set-up and some of the things that I mentioned first hand. We might even be able to crank-out a pen or two.
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Don't let anyone talk you into any expensive turning tools until you learn to sharpen them.
HF has a good set for $40.00 Windsor design, used to be sold at WC.
I use the $12.00 set, have been for 2 years.
Maybe some day I will be good enough to use the high dollar $40.00 set.
Then again some day I am going to turn something completely with a screw driver that I will hone down.
I don't think the wood knows the price of the steel that is put to it or whether it supposedly came from England with some guys name on it or from China.
A sharp edge is a sharp edge.
As for chucks I will say that a scroll chuck seems to be popular but if I were a bowl turning type of guy I would tap my own face plates to go right on the spindle.
I am cheap.

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Michael
You are also welcome to come by my shop in Apex and give my lathe and tools a spin :icon_thum I have a mix of tools from the $ 8.99 set to some a little more expensive the same goes for the other accessories. I also have the Wolverine system you could check out. Send me a Pm and we can discuss farther :eusa_danc

JRD

New User
Jim
Mike,

I'll be the lone voice for a Delta Midi lathe.

I received mine as a Christmas gift three years ago and have absolutely no mechanical problems with it. It did come with plastic knobs for tightening the tool rest and tail stock. Neither held up for long, but Delta replaced them immediately with steel after just one phone call. I have been old they are all steel now.

As for tools, I'll echo Eagle on this.........What matters is the steel touching the wood...Sharp counts! The only important tool note is get High Speed Steel (HSS). Carbon steel tools sharpen just fine, but will not hold an edge as long as HSS. I'd also recomend long wooden handles on tools. Some come with rather short handles that seem a bit awkward.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS