Status
Not open for further replies.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Photo Update 8/04/09

Broke ground today. The pad for the basement is nearly complete and weather permitting, footers will be dug tomorrow. The temp pole for power is installed and inspected. Just waiting for it to get hooked up and the water meter was located today.

The near end and right side of the basement will be full daylight, the left side needs about 4-6 feet of fill.

End_of_Day_1.jpg

M

McRabbet

Re: New Shop, sort of... Photo Update 8/04/09

John,

While I realize you are placing a slab for the shop, have you considered putting in trenches in the slab to carry power and dust collection duct for your tools so it would all be out to the way and below the floor? Now is the time to consider doing it!

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Photo Update 8/07/09

Finally got around to bringing in the pile that will air dry. This stuff is HEAVY.:swoon:
Picture_00610.jpg

Picture_00510.jpg

By the way, the Bruce stuff on the left is natural maple, 3/4 TG, prefinished, 2 1/4 wide.
Got that stuff at a local salvage for 2.50/square foot. Really pretty stuff.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Photo Update 8/07/09

Temporary power today. When I saw this crew pull up I thought that this was a rather large crew to hook up three wires. Turns out they swapped out the transformer for the next bigger size. I guess they found out I have a table saw.:rotflm:
Crew_to_change_transformer.jpg

All_Zeros.jpg

I don't expect to see this again.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Update 8/10/09

Doug footers for the basement today, water meter is in. Progress! We dug the basement last Tuesday but had a torrential rain that evening. It took the rest of the week for the ground to dry enough to get back in and dig the footers.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Footers poured today.

Picture_0114.jpg

The first time I posted a picture like this, there was no way to see how big this is, so I had my buddy in this one for scale.
Picture_0173.jpg

The garage is on the first level and has a bunch of steps in the footer.
Picture_0211.jpg

Finally finished, and none too soon, it started raining immediately.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Starting the basement walls

Now it's starting to look like we are building something, not just playing with dirt.
South_Wall_one_course.jpg

The first course is the hardest.
West_Wall_one_course.jpg

About 80 blocks down, 1920 to go.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Re: Starting the basement walls

Making progress.I didn't like hauling mud in a wheelbarrow when I was a youngan.Kinda hard to balance.Tony

sawman

New User
Albert
Re: New Shop, sort of... Photo Update 8/25/09

That is going to be a nice shop as well as a home.
What will be the ceiling height in the basement?
My ceiling in the shop is 10 ft, except at the steel support beam and makes handling 4x8 sheets easy.

Later,
Albert :saw:

TN Woodie

New User
John

That is going to be a nice shop as well as a home.
What will be the ceiling height in the basement?
My ceiling in the shop is 10 ft, except at the steel support beam and makes handling 4x8 sheets easy.

Later,
Albert :saw:

The height is just 8 feet, but the floor trusses will be clear span. The entire ceiling will be 8 feet.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Just to let you know keep the pics coming. Lookin' sweet so far!!

Chuck

TN Woodie

New User
John
Block Finished.. Photo Update 9/4

Picture_0361.jpg

The block is finished. On the far right is the garage, near right, a bedroom, and the left side is the basement. The basement will have a garage door on the far end, sharing the driveway with the garage and will be full daylight on the left side, facing the creek.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Fixing the mason's brain fart.

Picture_0122.jpg

The mason didn't get the level right on the corners of the garage, so I am forming up
the wall to correct level with the pour of the top blocks. This wall from the basement
to the garage wasn't level.
Picture_0115.jpg

This wall was level, but too low since it was referenced to the other, not level wall.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: New Shop, sort of... Fixing block.. Photo Update 9/8

Do you have a bond beam block below the top course, or are you pouring the entire wall full of concrete? Be sure & get some rebar vertically in there & don't forget the anchor bolts.
Oh, no! I just realized I'm starting to act like my dad!:gar-La;
If you're pouring from a truck or pump, make you a hopper/trough you can slide along the top of the wall that is about 2" narrower than the block. It makes pouring it a lot easier.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Fixing block.. Photo Update 9/8

Do you have a bond beam block below the top course, or are you pouring the entire wall full of concrete? Be sure & get some rebar vertically in there & don't forget the anchor bolts.
Oh, no! I just realized I'm starting to act like my dad!:gar-La;
If you're pouring from a truck or pump, make you a hopper/trough you can slide along the top of the wall that is about 2" narrower than the block. It makes pouring it a lot easier.

All has been considered, the guy helping with the concrete knows about the "hopper/trough", there is mortar net where the wall is not being poured full, and there is re-bar where the wall is "retaining".

Anchor bolts will be spaced appropriately, and not where the floor trusses must rest.

Thanks,

TN Woodie

New User
John
Almost ready to pour a floor

Almost_ready_for_concrete.jpg

The walls are reinforced with concrete and I need to do a bit to this before we pour the floor. I have to put plastic sheet on the rock and a drain in the middle, get it inspected, poured and then I get to start my work.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: Almost ready to pour a floor

This is a shop right? Not a house, but a shop?

The basement is unfinished, dedicated to working garage and shop. The house is the first floor and there is a parking garage at the front on the same level. Basement is 70x28, garage 28x28, living area 2216 sq ft not including a porch on the back, upstairs, 8x45. The big porch allows us to further enjoy a creek that runs along the rear of the lot.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Floor in basement finally poured

After almost two weeks of rain delay, I finally got a break and we poured the floor in the basement today.

Now I have to shut up, or put up (some walls).

Picture_0591.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS