New guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site today and would like to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I live in Clemmons (Forsyth County). I have always been interested in woodworking, but have never had enough time to devote.

I recently decided that I would make the time after I saw a co-worker with beautiful wooden pens he made. I have since purchased a Jet Lathe, a drill press, miter saw, and I already had a table saw.

I also have developed a "wood fetish" and I find myself looking everywhere for nice pieces of wood to use. I have made a number of pens, and now have turned a couple of bowls in my garage. I plan on building a shop in the future, and setting this up so that I can try other types of woodworking.

Thanks for this great site!!

Mike

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site. It's always a pleasure to get new members. We have several very talented pen turners here on the site. You can find some good pictures in the gallery. Please be sure you post some pictures of your bowls and pens. I'd love to steal.. err ummm... borrow some of your ideas for pens!

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Welcome to the club! I know you will enjoy (and if you are not careful you might learn something). Would love to see some of those pens you have made. Who knows, maybe you or someone else in the group could make some "NCWoodworker" pens and sell to the members.

Anyway, I am just up the road in Mayberry. There's one of us in Pilot Mtn. and Westfield. Maybe we could all get together sometime.

Again, welcome,
Jim in Mayberry

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Mike. Welcome to the best WWing site around! Don't forget to request a Photo album and post some pics of your work. Around here the saying is "no pics, didn't happen".
Looking forward to seeing some of your pens....
Take care,

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
welcome to the site.....i am new also; but already see the benefits of this site....good luck

dennis hutchens

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Mike and welcome to the best ww site on the web. Sounds like you have been infected by the woodworking disease. The only cure is to make plenty of sawdust. Be sure to request a photo album and post some of your projects. Saying on this site is "no pictures, it didn't happen!' so post plenty.

Welcome!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Mike,

Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker. This is a great website with some really talented folks (I'm gonna develop a talent someday) who can offer guidance on just about any project.

You said that you want to try some other types of wood working... what do you have in mind?

Don't forget to get an album and post some pictures of your work.

Ray

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
clowman said:
Welcome to the site. It's always a pleasure to get new members. We have several very talented pen turners here on the site. You can find some good pictures in the gallery. Please be sure you post some pictures of your bowls and pens. I'd love to steal.. err ummm... borrow some of your ideas for pens!
Thanks Clay. I'll get some pictures posted!

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Mike, sounds like you found the slippery slope of turning. I am impressed that you even consider doing flat work:lol: :lol: I'll throw my vote in for seeing some pictures of your pens and bowls. Thanks for joining, your introduction and particpating actively in this site.
see you around!!!
Dave:)

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Ray Martin said:
Hi Mike,

Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker. This is a great website with some really talented folks (I'm gonna develop a talent someday) who can offer guidance on just about any project.

You said that you want to try some other types of wood working... what do you have in mind?

Don't forget to get an album and post some pictures of your work.

Ray
Ray,

Thanks for your welcome.

My ultimate goal is to have a fully functional shop dedicated to woodworking where I could work on anything from pens, bowls and other lathe projects, all the way to building small furniture pieces etc.

Take care,

Mike

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome......those who have already responded, and those who will respond. You all make a guy feel very welcome here. I will work on getting some of my pictures posted and I will appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone has.

Talk to you later.

Mike

M

McRabbet

We will be looking forward to your involvement in all phases of the site, including your lathe work -- pics would be good here...

Not a turner myself, but love woodworking -- wlecome aboard.

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the site! I'm pretty much a newbie turner. What's the finish you are using on your pens? Glad you joined us. And, in case you couildn't tell, we LOVE pictures!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Mike!

Round or square, we like wood :cool:

Looking forward to your penmanship :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike!!! Love to see some pics of your pen turning! Lots of turners here (not me yet, though) that I am sure will provide lots of feedback.

Have lots of fun and post often!

Wayne

mlcannon

New User
Mike Cannon
cskipper said:
Welcome to the site! I'm pretty much a newbie turner. What's the finish you are using on your pens? Glad you joined us. And, in case you couildn't tell, we LOVE pictures!
Cathy,

Thanks! I have experimented with several types of finish, but mostly use Boiled Linseed Oil and CA glue with Hut PPP in between. I have tried plastic polish on the final CA gule coat, and I have just purchased Trade Secret for Wood which I will be trying soon. If the blank is stabilized I sometimes will just use wipe on Polyurethane.

For my bowls I have tried TSW, friction polish, and Renaissance Wax. The one I did yesterday I tried all of the above, and finally just placed Poly on it!

Take care,

Mike

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, welcome to the site. It sounds like you have definitely made the plunge into wood turning. I am glad you could join us here.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS