Need some advice - exterior trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Folks - I need some help.

LOML and I are replacing the columns and railings on our front porch. We have selected a metal railing but want to keep the turned post style we have. Neither of us is getting any younger and we would like to do something that will not require frequent maintenance, so we considered going with a PVC post with a metal load column in the center, but because of the way they mount, this will not work.

So I'm back to using wood columns from the BORG - which are finger jointed material. And I KNOW that they will eventually come to have the finger joints offset from differential swelling and not look very attractive (just like the ones being replaced!:BangHead:.

So the question is - do you think sealing them with Anchor Seal before painting would help them hold up better? Any other suggestions for the finish to make them stand up to the elements better?

BTW - they will be painted white with a high quality exterior enamel.

So what say you my fine friends?

Thanks!
C.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since Anchorseal contains wax it will keep any finish from adhering to the wood. Shellac would be a better choice. Zinser (SP?) white pigmented primer is shellac based I believe. Two thin even coats followed by two even coats of your finish top coat will last quite a while. A light touchup every two years will help keep the wood from delaminating.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Mike - thanks! I hadn't thought about waxy quality of AnchorSeal - guess I was more focused on it's superior moisture sealing properties... I like the idea of using the Zinsser shellac based primer - good call...

Jack - I'm pretty sure the columns are solid - but if they turn out to be hollow, I'll be sure to find a way to prime the inside.

Thanks guys! :icon_thum
C.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chris,
I'm going through the same situation myself. Our front porch railing and columns are almost 18 years old. I'm looking at fiberglass versions with a metal support column and they just might be the way to go. There are several design choices available so look around.
Good Luck,
Greg

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
That's really the way I wanted to go Greg, but the load beam that sits atop the posts is only a 1/2" wider than the posts, so the trim piece that covers the mounting brackets would be bigger than the beam and not look right. Same situation at the bottom - trim would overhang the brick lip of the porch.

I've not given up on them - thinking maybe a pin set in the concrete/brick to extend into the pipe in the post at the bottom - and at the top, two structural L brackets hidden by decorative brackets - kinda Victorian-esque?

Glennbear

Glenn
Since Anchorseal contains wax it will keep any finish from adhering to the wood. Shellac would be a better choice. Zinser (SP?) white pigmented primer is shellac based I believe. Two thin even coats followed by two even coats of your finish top coat will last quite a while. A light touchup every two years will help keep the wood from delaminating.

+1 on the primer, every piece of exterior wood I have ever painted (including my current shop trim) has held up well when primed that way. IMHO the primer bonds more tightly than anything else out there and topcoats stick well to it. Exterior paints usually detach themselves from the wood before the film itself fails. :wsmile:

Woodmolds

Tony
User
There are two products I know of that are a must for new bare wood treatment. They are "Seasonite" by Flood and/or "Woodlife" by DAP. They are thin to absorb into the wood and can be used under oil-based primer, paint or stains. Both protect against rot and decay & Inhibit surface growth of mold, mildew and staining fungi. New wood should be soaked generously, especially end grain.

Tony

BSHuff

New User
Brian
could you box out above/below the tops and bottoms to make them have a little more 'heft' to make the PVC ones fit?

Other option would be to coat the wood in fiberglass resin of some sort?

jhreed

New User
james
My porch coumns are treated 4x4 wood with square pvc slid over them. Will last longer than I will, but, I hate pvc.
James

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Tony - thanks, I'll be sure to record those products in my shop notebook.

I actually found PVC, which I don't particularly care for either - but I hate painting more :wsmile: , which have a "blind" mounting arrangement and so don't require top/bottom trim to hide the mounting hardware - so I think we are going to go with those...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you're the best! :icon_thum

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS