Major Lathe Project....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Well not exactly. :lol: :lol: But a fun little project anyway. I watched the turning club make some of these honey dippers at the show last Saturday in Hickory and decided to make a few. A great way to clean out some of the maple scraps in my scrap bucket and get some real practice with the spindle gouge. These are quick and easy to make and really have a useful purpose.

DSC05501.JPG

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Those are kool Splinter. I saw that also. Never turned myself but watched Monty turn a pen:eusa_clap.Then he gave it to me "thanks again Monty" love that pen. Been looking at lathes ever sense. Mabe someday.:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Way cool. Nice job with the turning and the picture. You might want to consider this for next year's calendar contest. I think it would recieve good rating.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool! Now you have to get some hives for some good fresh honey! Store bought, homogenized, pasteurized stuff they call honey just can't compare!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sure don't. But I would think that any lidded vessel would work great. Maybe a end grain box, with a cut-out in the lid for the honey dipper in Yellowheart could be perfect. :dontknow:

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I saw them turn these as well at the show. I have to admit, I wanted to make some myself. Then I thought. What would you put on these as a finish? Anything? Bare maple? I like yours, you did a fine job.

sediener

New User
Steve
I'd go with Bee's Wax...

I saw them turn these as well at the show. I have to admit, I wanted to make some myself. Then I thought. What would you put on these as a finish? Anything? Bare maple? I like yours, you did a fine job.

M

McRabbet

Dolan -- be careful as original Briwax contains Toluene and should not be used with food contact. I'd agree that Beeswax is the safest.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan -- be careful as original Briwax contains Toluene and should not be used with food contact. I'd agree that Beeswax is the safest.

Thanks Rob, I missed the Toluene when I checked the Briwax. They are now making it Toluene free but my can is prior to the new version.

I got this from the Briwax web site:
  • [SIZE=+1]Topic: [/SIZE]Briwax 2000 - Toluene Free - TF -- (Briwax Labeling)
  • [SIZE=+1]Question:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]Hi Briwax, I just received the order, thanks. I ordered 2 Briwax 2000's, but the Light Brown is not Briwax 2000--please and advise. Thanks, Bob
  • [SIZE=+1]Response:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1][/SIZE]Yes, the makers of Briwax in the UK are in the process of changing over the labeling of the toluene free version of Briwax, from Briwax 2000 to "Toluene Free". The toluene free versions are labeled "TF", "Toluene Free" and "Briwax 2000". The labeling generally appears as "2000" under the bold "Briwax" on the front of the label, or "Toluene Free" over the left of the bold "Briwax" on the front. Also, and not always, the UPC label may have "TF" or "Toluene Free" or "TF" located on the tins. All tins with these markings are the Toluene Free version of the Briwax. Please accept our apologies until the makers run out of the "2000" and then all tins will be marked "Toluene Free" only. Hope this helps, Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS