Long Life for Tool Powerpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I recently had three 12-volt DeWalt Powerpacks rebuilt at the Batteries Plus in Fayetteville. They all work great, but now I am wondering about the best way to make these things last as long as possible. In the past, when I used a powerpack, I would take the one out of the charger and put the spare into the charger. No matter how little I used the battery, I would never continue to use it until discharged, always taking the freshly charged one out of the charger for the next job even though it may have only been the next day.

My question: Is it better to use these battery packs until they are totally/nearly discharged before recharging them or always return them to the charger to keep them as fully charged as possible?

Thanks for any input or suggestions?

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Rick,
Here's your answer, right from the horse's mouth:

http://support.dewalt.com/cgi-bin/d...p_tbl=9&p_id=685&p_created=1100020449&p_olh=0

This question has many answers, but they can't all be right. I'm sure that you can find conflicting info if you care to search the net. But I'm inclined to accept the answer from the manufacturer as I believe they are interested in you getting the best possible service from their tool. A satified customer will buy again.

(Furthermore, I'll bet that not everyone agrees with this.)

Roy

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Rick,
Here's your answer, right from the horse's mouth:

http://support.dewalt.com/cgi-bin/d...p_tbl=9&p_id=685&p_created=1100020449&p_olh=0

This question has many answers, but they can't all be right. I'm sure that you can find conflicting info if you care to search the net. But I'm inclined to accept the answer from the manufacturer as I believe they are interested in you getting the best possible service from their tool. A satified customer will buy again.

(Furthermore, I'll bet that not everyone agrees with this.)

Roy

Point 2 is both true and pure bull:lol:

Anyway, I would add the following, drain the battery more than they say, but don't drain it all the way. If you do what they say, you will shorten the life(I'm assuming NiCds) I always run the tools until they almost stop (under load.) Thats the ideal point to recharge.

The idea of leaving the battery in the charger is good. BUT, leaving there for more than 24 to 48 hours is not good.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
FWIW, I have 10 Ryobi 18v tools. From drill to circ/recip saws. I use them anywhere from rarely to frequently. I recharge the 4 batteries I have monthly, whether I've used them or not. All are at least 2 years old and none show reduced performance. Ryobi's recommendations mirror those of the DeWalt link above. Just my $.02, but in my experience it seems they are spot on with their suggestions.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Seen an articel in a wood mag. . Where you plug the charger into a timer.That way you know that it will go of with no way of over chargeing. 8-O????

J

jeff...

FWIW, I have 10 Ryobi 18v tools. From drill to circ/recip saws. I use them anywhere from rarely to frequently. I recharge the 4 batteries I have monthly, whether I've used them or not. All are at least 2 years old and none show reduced performance. Ryobi's recommendations mirror those of the DeWalt link above. Just my $.02, but in my experience it seems they are spot on with their suggestions.

Could I remember to charge my batteries monthly? I highly doubt it. If I were going to do it by the book I would need a timer. I leave one pack on the charger at all times. Sometimes a battery may be on the charger for weeks on end. I've had both of the battery packs for at least 3 years and their still going strong. I guess about the only thing I'm doing right is I don't swap out a battery pack unless the on I'm using is completely dead.

Thanks

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Only way I remember to do this, and anything monthly, such as change the air filter in the house, is because I do it on payday, the 10th of each month. Strange what a developed habit can accomplish!:tongue5:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Only way I remember to do this, and anything monthly, such as change the air filter in the house, is because I do it on payday, the 10th of each month. Strange what a developed habit can accomplish!:tongue5:
Payday on the tenth of the month? How does that work? Being self employed, I get paid when the job is done. But the costs of all my tools are deductable from my gross income. One of lifes little pleasures.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Payday on the tenth of the month? How does that work?

It works by being a full-commissioned sales rep. No sales, no pay. I have full benefits of employment with scheduling and time freedoms, along with direct input and effect on my income due to my personal efforts. Sorta like a contractor or being self employed.:crybaby2: :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS