Homemade chuck, deal on 1-1/4"x8 Inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I was looking for something to use to make some shopmade chucks for the PM, and came across these cheaper than a nut of the same size and MADE for the lathe. I plan to insert these into a block of wood and make some wooden faceplates, I will drill and tap a small hole for a set screw in the base for reverse turning. One will become a dedicated vac. chuck!:gar-Bi

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I like the Beall Spindle tap. I've made several face plates and jam chucks.

spindletaps.jpg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Ken,

I had considered those, but I was afraid they might be sensitive to grain direction (start a split if the grain is in line) and only work in really hard wood. Can you shed a little light on how well they work? Is it rare (or never) that you decide it won't work for the aforementioned reasons? How much do you part off?

If nothing else, it should be a good way to make hardwood faceplates.

With my previous lathe, years ago, I bought a few 1"x8TPI nuts at Lowes for about $1 each, traced their outlines onto scrap and cut holes for the bolts on the scrollsaw. They didn't fit perfectly, which was actually part of the plan - I put epoxy in the gaps around them and they were rock solid. The plates had to be surfaced on the lathe, but then they were fine. I might make a few more of those now that I have a decent lathe. Using faceplates is not as much of a pain when you have a few (but I may still have to talk to Santa about that $100 Grizzly chuck).

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hey Andy,
Threads don't work well at all in end grain. I have used Pine from 4 bys but prefer a chunk of Maple, Oak, Hickory from the firewood pile.
Tom has a good review on Newwoodworker and Beall has 2 videos on Youtube linked from here.
The tap has paid for itself many times over for me.

I don't remember which chuck you are wanting, but the Nova G3 is available here with insert included for $115, mine was $119.95 with shipping. It's a fine chuck and takes all the Nova jaws.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Hijackers! HA! Just kidding.. the Beall is on the short list too, but I wanted the steel ones for some "larger pieces, plan to drill the wood and epoxy these suckers in. That chuck that Andy is referencing is rated highly and compared to the Vic, all the vic jaws fit it too. I am kicking myself for getting Talons as the jaws are not interchangeable with the Stronghold :BangHead:. Though I am trying to switch over to doing more stuff between centers and with faceplates, as LJ recommends.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I weld washers on 1x8 nuts then trap the washers in a cutout to fit them in between 2 pieces of wood glued ans screwed, they dont work loose.

faceplate_wip.jpg

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
For some reason the link (or Klingspor) doesn’t work. It does go to the order page and shows 1 ¼ X 8 TPI Adapter (RH INSERT) Item WK01102 $6.95
If you click add to order, it comes up with item WK01107 instead. A search for the item comes up with the "item does not exist"? :dontknow: Strange. Maybe they were all bought and they have dropped them from inventory.
They would be nice for permanent items such as faceplate. For disposable items (<15 uses?) I will stay with the Beall. TIP If you use the Beall, coat the wooden threads with thin CA glue when you finish, and then re-cut. It will really harden up the threads.
Mike

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I weld washers on 1x8 nuts then trap the washers in a cutout to fit them in between 2 pieces of wood glued ans screwed, they dont work loose.

faceplate_wip.jpg

(I was wondering when you were going to Chime in Earl)

I will agree with Earl as he is the one who showed me how to make them.

That these work Great and less than $3 a nut. You can probably get 3 nuts with 1" washers for that price. Then use scrap hardwood as shown with the nut inbetween and then I glue & screw some MDF to the outside (screws from the back). And waa laa I have a homemade face plate.

Plus when the MDF gets low or cut into too much, true it up and glue another piece of MDF on.

Now How Hard Is That? :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS