Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Congratulations!

Hopefully, you didn't get the "mobility kit". If it is like the Minimax one it is not worth having in my book.

Now you need to order you some Zambus or Great Lakes casters for this jewel. You will not regret it.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Oh yeah, that will be a great saw. I forgot that they have the "HD" versions of those saws that make all the differences, even in the smaller saws. You won't regret doing that upgrade!!! CONGRATS! YOU ROCK! (but I want pictures!)

ehpoole

Ethan
Corporate Member
With regards to mobile bases, for my 18" Rikon BS I used the DIY mobile base kit available from Woodcraft (and others). They are rated for ~600 lbs. and are meant to have a single sheet of 3/4" plywood sandwiched between the corner wheels.

For my BS I chose to use two laminated sheets of 3/4" plywood, with corners modified to accept the 4 corner-pieces/wheels. By laminating two sheets together I was able to extend the mobile base 5-6" further out at the front of my bandsaw -- where it's stability was most challenged (the 18" Rikon is really meant to be bolted to a floor). Not only did the use of two sheets of 3/4" allow me to extend the width of the mobile base, but it also prevented the requisite 'bounce' that I would have likely had with just a single sheet of 3/4" plywood.

You can somewhat see what I'm talking about if you zoom-in on my shop overview in my original self-intro thread (see my profile if interested).

With regard to the earlier comment on tensioning, I have never had any issue tensioning 1" blades on my 18" Rikon (Model 10-345). I can tension a 1" blade tight enough to 'sing' and still have room for additional tension if needed. I can't speak for 1-1/4" blades as of yet though, since I mostly use 1" and 1/4" blades and have not yet used/purchased any 1-1/4" blades.

Congratulations on your new Laguna bandsaw, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS