Help Me Pick a Mini or Midi Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
No, not for me! I am a dedicated flatwooder.

Father in law mentioned he wants a lathe, for making small bowls and other stuff. I did mention that the necessary tools will cost more than $19.95.

Keep in mind, my FIL makes me look like a drunk sailor with my money. I want to keep him from buying a cheap lathe, only to be disappointed. That said, I must prepare for the option that he will get a lathe, decide it isn't his cup of tea, and give it to me.

I saw the CL ad in Cary, but that is 2 hrs on-way for me.

JJD

New User
John
I have the JET variable speed mini lathe, and I really like it. I did get it new from Rockler about two years ago before they closed their Greensboro store, and it was on sale for a good price. Have never seen them that inexpensive since, so I would surely keep my eyes open for one on the used market.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
FWW did a review of mini's a few issues back, maybe more than a few - time goes by faster these days! I used the Jet mini at the NC State Craft Center last year and liked it a lot. IIRC, the General gives you the most versatility but at a fairly steep price for small lathes. If you look on the RAL CL you will find some Craftsman turning tools listed for sale over the w-e - I think they were around a half-dozen or so for $50.

Main issues for small lathes is getting them anchored properly so they don't vibrate/wobble much. The better ones weigh more but you will still need to bolt them down to something. Oh yeah - don't forget you are going to need something to sharpen your tools, so add that to the budget as well. Gets up there pretty fast ...

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
"No, not for me! I am a dedicated flatwooder."

WHEW! Thanks for the disclaimer! Had me worried there for a minute!!

:rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
["That said, I must prepare for the option that he will get a lathe, decide it isn't his cup of tea, and give it to me."}

I couldn't help but read this part as........ I HOPE, I HOPE!!!!!!!!:rotflm:

:tinysmile_tongue_t:the dark side - it's all fun and games til they turn their first bowl:tinysmile_tongue_t:
-let the addiction begin-

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My opinion, look at the Harbor Freight one like DaveO uses.

I got my dad into turning on the delta midi, he outgrew it in about 7 months. Nothing against the delta, its just fine but its small.

He did mount it on the Jet stand, that worked great.

Jim

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
["That said, I must prepare for the option that he will get a lathe, decide it isn't his cup of tea, and give it to me."}

I couldn't help but read this part as........ I HOPE, I HOPE!!!!!!!!:rotflm:

:tinysmile_tongue_t:the dark side - it's all fun and games til they turn their first bowl:tinysmile_tongue_t:
-let the addiction begin-

Just in case I end up with it, I want it to be a lathe I would sell honestly.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
For a starter lathe the Harbor Freight 34-706 has been a good choice for me. And it is on sale right now.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tom,

I'm another one for the HF, if budget is a problem. But even if you get the HF for $200, figure on going for at least another $400, minimum, for tools, chuck, and sharpening set up. And I personally don't believe you can actually get away with a $600 total:BangHead:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS