Good spot for a lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Well, the addition isn't done on the house, but I am starting to scope out my new shop space. I am trying to decide how I want to lay it all out. This particular spot was where the old washer and dryer lived. I am thinking of putting my lathe here, but wanted some opinions on the space. It has 220V available (though my lathe is 110V) in case I ever upgrade to a mustard mistress... The feature I like best is the 4" dryer vent line. It goes through the wall to the crawlspace which is plenty big for an average size DC. I was envisioning a remote controlled DC (like Woodwrangler's... :widea:) on the other side of the wall to collect the lathe shavings. To the left of the space is a utility tub and a toilet (no comment) and you can see that there is a natural gas line and the water and drain lines for the washer. Should I take those (gas, water, drain) out to clean up the space? I can't see the need for them in the future, but if they aren't going to be in the way I was going to try to live with them.

here is the pic, thoughts?

IMG001171.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Tim,

I'm not sure what you've got to the left of that photo, but I'd say it looks like a pretty good spot. Most of your 220 stuff would probably go more toward the middle of the floor anyway and like you said, if you upgrade to a mustard machine, you can plug her in right there.

My only concern would be, do you have enough space to comfortably turn things? I know there's nothing within about 3 feet of the bed of my lathe in any direction. Especially for turning the inside of bowls, you want to have a LOT of space. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would be a little concerned about the water heater there. Maybe box around it to keep sawdust from getting behind there.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I would be a little concerned about the water heater there. Maybe box around it to keep sawdust from getting behind there.

i agree on that remark, especially if it's a gas waterheater. open flames and wood shavings are a bad combination.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Ditto on the water heater if its gas.If its elect,then you shouldn't have a problem.my water heater is right in a corner,surounded by my lathe,mitersaw and bandsaw,I just blow the dust off it on occasion to see if its still there :gar-La; but then my water heater is elect.Otherwise it looks like a good spot,with the hole for your DC an 220 outlet.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto +1 on the water heater if it is gas. They do put out a pretty substantial flame when heating.

The washing machine drain is also going to need water added to it every so often so that the P trap doesn't "dry" out and you start getting sewer gas smells. I would plug/cap the drain and the spigots just as a precaution.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
IMHO dust collection is useless on the lathe. it works well for sanding but shavings from turning have a mind of their own.:rotflm:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
1. Whether or not the water heater is gas, it should NOT be in front of the electrical panel. Code requires clearance in front of a panel so it can be serviced without entrapping an electrician within that space should he get a live wire. If it's gas, get a stand to put it on, too. Eventually, you'll be doing finishing down there, and the flammable vapors like to hug the floor. That's why gas heaters in garages are on an 18" stand, as that is considered a hazardous location.
2. Check that dryer vent. It should not vent just to the crawl, but should go outside. Venting a dryer into a crawl encourages mold & mildew as well as a fire hazard - when you think of lint, think of sawdust & sparks.
3. Get rid of the unused gas piping on the left, too. It's a potential hazard if it's struck by some random object spinning and uncontrolled at a high rate of speed.
4. Make a box enclosure with a simple cabinet door on it & foam rubber seals to cover the electrical panel. This will help prevent dust from getting into the panel itself.
5. Buy a rubber expansion plug and place it in the washing machine drain to prevent sewer odors, as in time the trap will dry out. Also, get some 'boiler drain caps' - basically a brass cap with female threads for a water hose connection & screw it onto the washer hose outlets to prevent inadvertent leaks there. Caulk the holes through the block around the water lines with a sleeve around the lines themselves to prevent bugs & such from getting in & keep the block from damaging the copper pipes

That oughta get ya in bizness on the Dark Side............:icon_cheers
Happy spinnin'

timf67

New User
Tim
IMHO dust collection is useless on the lathe. it works well for sanding but shavings from turning have a mind of their own.:rotflm:

I agree with you, so the plan is to use it like a vacuum to clean up the mess once a month or so... :gar-La;

timf67

New User
Tim
1. Whether or not the water heater is gas, it should NOT be in front of the electrical panel. Code requires clearance in front of a panel so it can be serviced without entrapping an electrician within that space should he get a live wire. If it's gas, get a stand to put it on, too. Eventually, you'll be doing finishing down there, and the flammable vapors like to hug the floor. That's why gas heaters in garages are on an 18" stand, as that is considered a hazardous location.
2. Check that dryer vent. It should not vent just to the crawl, but should go outside. Venting a dryer into a crawl encourages mold & mildew as well as a fire hazard - when you think of lint, think of sawdust & sparks.
3. Get rid of the unused gas piping on the left, too. It's a potential hazard if it's struck by some random object spinning and uncontrolled at a high rate of speed.
4. Make a box enclosure with a simple cabinet door on it & foam rubber seals to cover the electrical panel. This will help prevent dust from getting into the panel itself.
5. Buy a rubber expansion plug and place it in the washing machine drain to prevent sewer odors, as in time the trap will dry out. Also, get some 'boiler drain caps' - basically a brass cap with female threads for a water hose connection & screw it onto the washer hose outlets to prevent inadvertent leaks there. Caulk the holes through the block around the water lines with a sleeve around the lines themselves to prevent bugs & such from getting in & keep the block from damaging the copper pipes

That oughta get ya in bizness on the Dark Side............:icon_cheers
Happy spinnin'

All good points. Luckily, the picture is deceptive. The electric hot water heater is to the right of the panel - though not by much, I guess just enough to pass inspection. The dryer vent is routed outside, the water supply holes are sealed on the crawl side, and the p-trap for the drain is at the utility tub so it shouldn't ever dry out.

But, I think I have heard enough and thought enough that I will make this "room" for my tablesaw, jointer and planer - a dimensioning room if you will...:cool:

The other "room" or my current shop which is connected via a small hallway will be my spinny room and will house the bandsaw, drillpress, workbench and lathe. the RAS and miter saw get to stay in the garage...

I think I talk Jeremy (woodwrangler) into helping me move this stuff since he is good at taking pics...:gar-Bi

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Ditto on the dust collections. Its the shavings that are the nuisance.

This is one shot of my mess
chips.jpg

This is David Lancester's mess taken from Maine woodturner's newsletter 2008_11. He's a rather aggressive turner.
Lancaster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS