First scroll sawn portrait (President Reagan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I did this on scrap luan because I didn't think it would turn out well, and now I am kicking myself for that because I like it. Now I just need to practice making these patterns from pictures and I will be good to go!

DSC00701.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
That's terrific!!! ARe you sure you are new to scrolling?? What kind of blade did you use? How thick is the wood? Just beautiful!!!!

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Thanks for the praise Cathy! It means a lot coming from someone of your skill level. Yeah, I promise, that's my third time scroll sawing. Trust me, it looks better in the pic than in person, but still not bad for right out of the gate.

I used Flying dutchman #1 reverse tooth blades (broke my first blade tonight!!!), and It was sawn out of a piece of a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/4" luan from Lowes. I am impressed at how cleanly that blade cuts. Even on that cheap plywood, I am barely going to have to do any sanding. It's pretty impressive.

But it still took me 3 hrs, not sure if that's really slow or not, but sure felt slow :gar-La;

cskipper

Cathy
I don't think it's slow. I would suggest not using Luna, but getting some Baltic Birch or Finnish plywood. You can hit some voids that can really cause problems in the overall appearance. BB is more expensive, but worth it when you put hours in cutting a piece. You can even find a couple of other plywoods - just always ask the seller (unless it's from a BORG - they probably wouldn't know) if their plywood is scrollng quality.

Do you draw or paint (picture kind of things, not walls)? You have am amazing scrolling future ahead!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very very nice. You did a great job on your first portrait cutting. I agree with Cathy that you are much better off using Baltic Birch or Finnish Birch for finished works but scraps of BORG luan are perefect to learn on. My favorite plywood for scrolling is 1/8 maple plywood. I get mine from Sloans. See below.

Don't worry about the time it took. Scrolling like most wood working is not a speed contest. Three hours is not bad. You can also reduce your time per piece by stacking several piece of wood and cutting several at a time. You are welcome to stop over sometime it you want some help.

Robert aka Sawduster is the master of making patterns from pictures. He uses PSP. I have played with it but so far I have not made a pattern that I will admit to. :wsmile:

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm

b4man

New User
Barbara
Marco,
You did ol' Ronnie proud!

Besides being adorable, you are an artist to boot!:icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Very very nice. You did a great job on your first portrait cutting. I agree with Cathy that you are much better off using Baltic Birch or Finnish Birch for finished works but scraps of BORG luan are perefect to learn on. My favorite plywood for scrolling is 1/8 maple plywood. I get mine from Sloans. See below.

Don't worry about the time it took. Scrolling like most wood working is not a speed contest. Three hours is not bad. You can also reduce your time per piece by stacking several piece of wood and cutting several at a time. You are welcome to stop over sometime it you want some help.

Robert aka Sawduster is the master of making patterns from pictures. He uses PSP. I have played with it but so far I have not made a pattern that I will admit to. :wsmile:

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plywoods.htm

Scott, thanks for that link. I'd seen oak scrolling ply but not all the other species.

woodylarry

New User
Larry
A really nice piece for 2 reasons. The obvious scrolling skill even on your third piece and the subject, Ronald Reagan, was the last great president we've had.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Dude , you are a natural !! :notworthy: Very nicely done . Scott and Cathy make good suggestions. The only thing I can add is to try the FD " ultra reverse " . Same smooth cut but since there is no burr on the right side of the blade , blade bias is practically nil and it is very easy to stay to the line :icon_thum
I always stack cut at least 3 or 4 if using 1/8" and at least 2 if using 1/4"

As for wood , I have dealt with Sloans for years and highly recommend them.
I can also offer some of my personal stash of 1/4" BB ply if we can get hooked up . PM me if you want some, Can also help you with patterns if you are interested. Most everything in my gallery is made from my own patterns

Excellent job man :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I am super impressed ! :icon_thum

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Wow...thanks so much everyone. I am very flattered by your responses. For a newbie like me, it's great to know that the people who have been scrolling for a long time approve of my work, and all your support is awesome!

Thanks for that link to the plywood source. I couldn't find on their website if they are an online dealer, or if they are local, so if someone who has used them could clue me in that would be great.

Sawduster: I will have to try those ultra reverse blades, as I have seen first hand that those Flying Dutchman blades are really a cut above. I can't even imagine them being better!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!!! Very well done, Marco!:eusa_danc:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_danc

So how long have you been doin' this stuff!!??:icon_scra:icon_scra

You are a natural, for sure!!!:notworthy:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS