Finally got the beast running

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Thanks to the help of C Powell, I finally got my Saylor Beall compressor up and running. I purchased this off Craigs list sometime last fall, sans a motor for $125.00 ( 5 hp 2 stage / 60 gal horizontal tank model) This is a stock photo which looks very much like mine.

moz-screenshot.jpg
horizontal_med.jpg

I had to purchase the following:

New 5 hp baldor motor single phase
New dual groove sheave for motor
New motor starter
New valve rebuild kit
New wrist pin for exhaust piston
New rod / rod cap inserts for both pistons
New pressure switch
New regulator
New belts

Since I was trying to do this as cheap as I could, I did all the replacement work myself and just needed the extra hand on wiring the starter and getting the head back on after I replaced the wrist pin and rod inserts

Total cost including the original purchase price is $804.00. Not exactly gloat worthy but if I were to buy this unit new, it would have been in the $2,500 - 3000 range. Built like a tank and right now it purrs like a kitten.

My next addition will be a hose reel which will add about another 100 or so. Shouldn't be starved for air from now on.

Mike

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I always like to see folks keepin' the old 'arn runnin'. Good job. That should last you quite a while & it's probably a lot quieter than the direct drive units they sell nowadays. Looks like a unit they use in auto dealerships & paint shops.:icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I think that it's a good gloat Mike, I'm very jealous:icon_bigg. I've got a 20 gallon, single stage a/c and have been wanting a nice two stage 60/80 gallon model. Good luck with it.

Jimmy:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Nice machine Mike! I have been staring at more than a few old pieces like that, but am still a long ways from pulling the trigger. Thanks for the heads up on what the investment may entail.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I only supplied unskilled manual labor assistance to help get the beast together.

I have only owned small shop comressors which are VERY LOUD when running!!! I am familiar with large screw compressors from industrial applications (up to 1000HP) which are VERY LOUD when running.

This machine is quiet. We were able to talk back and forth as we were adjusting pressure switch cut in/cut out levels and the compressor was running. Kinda cool. It's definitely a keeper. :icon_thum

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike, you've got quite a knack for revitalizing old stuff :icon_thum:icon_thum
Any chance you could apply those skills to me :rolleyes:

Nice gloat!
Roger

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Roger,

Believe me, if I was possessed with those skills, I would be my own guinea pig. :gar-La;:gar-La;

As the years go by, things seem to sag, fall out, and just plain go south, or is that north. :gar-Cr Oh well,:dontknow: I'm still kickin' and hope to have many more years to try to get it right.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS