Bent Wood Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ever watched one of those woodworking shows on TV and wondered if you could do that? David Marks does that for me. I don't like his designs but I like his techniques. I had to try bent wood lamination. This box started wandering around in the back of my head for about a year. I finnally finished it this week.
Bent Wood Box.jpg Box & Tray.jpg

The box is 11" long, 6" wide and 6" tall. The laminates are 3/8" thick (6 plys of 1/16" red oak glued with Klingspor's slow drying wood glue) for the box and 1/4" thick (4 plys of red oak) for the tray. The ends are 1/2" thick rosewood with the joints reinforced with 1/8" brass pins.

The tops are four pieces each of the 3/8" laminate cut on at 15 degrees and glued together with a Ryobi mini biscuit cutter. I cut rabets in the ribs of the top before assembly and inlayed 1/8" wide rosewood strips after they were glued together. The hinges are 6mm barrell hinges from Lee Valley.

The handle for the tray is turned out of rosewood and attached with brass rods. The handle is made so that rings can be hung on it in case my talkes me out of it and uses it as a jewelry box.

Finnished with Minwax golden oak stain and 5 coates of Delft spray on lacquer. The inside is flocked with black Suede Tex.

All the jigs were made out of MDF. I used every clamp I could get my hands on. A jig was made to bend the sides for the box and top. Another to cut the sides square. Two more to cut the 15 degree angles for the top pieces, one right and one left. And another jig to bend the sides of the tray.

I'll upload more pictures and details when the photo gallery is up and running

Now that I have finnally gotten this project it's back to the honey do list.

Rick Doby

b4man

New User
Barbara
That's a great box and so is your workmanship! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Barbara

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now that is a unique design, and very well executed. I don't believe that I have ever seen anything like that. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That is a one-of-a-kind piece there. I can only imagine how much time went into planning and execution. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Awesome job on the box Rick, I really love your design.:icon_thum I look forward to seeing the pix of the jigs you used to make it.

D L

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Dick,

You ready for a seed spittin' contest? I orginaly was going to have the ends come to a point so it would look more like a football.

Rick Doby

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
NIce job! :icon_thum Joinery looks great especially in consideration of all the angles and curves, I bet that was tough. Kinda' puts you in the mind of an old curved top trunk or tool chest.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Congratulations on finishing this project. I know how long it took. I'll be glad when you can post some more pics. It turned out really good.

DavidF

New User
David
Great looking box. A very unigue design. Why the mini biscuits joining the top sections? I would have thought long grain to long grain would have been fine. Or was it alignment that you were trying to get right?

rbdoby

New User
Rick
David,

I did use the mini biscuits mainly for alignment. There was some variation in the thickness of my pieces. I used the mini biscuits registered from the outside of the joint. The inside of the joint was doped with wood putty, sanded and covered with black flocking to hide the missalignment.

There's a lot of little mistakes in this piece. I hid them as best as I could and learned a lot doing it.

Rick Doby

DavidF

New User
David
David,

I did use the mini biscuits mainly for alignment. There was some variation in the thickness of my pieces. I used the mini biscuits registered from the outside of the joint. The inside of the joint was doped with wood putty, sanded and covered with black flocking to hide the missalignment.

There's a lot of little mistakes in this piece. I hid them as best as I could and learned a lot doing it.

Rick Doby

Hiding mistakes is a skill I have used a lot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS