Audels Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I am currently learning to use a combination square by reading my Dads old 1943 copy of Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide #1. This is such a cool book. I never thought I would read these things. Anyway, my question to you all is, were these guides er...ever updated to present day? I know it may seem like a silly question, but these kinds of references are invaluable to me. If these aren't up to date, what other books with "general" tool techniques/proper usage techniques are out there?

M

McRabbet

I have the four volume set that was reprinted by Howard Sams & Co. under the revised title "Carpenter and Builders Library" and edited by John E. Ball in 1965 (my set is the fourth edition, May 1977 printing). The original "Carpenter and Builders Guide" four volume set was published in 1923 by Frank Graham and Thomas Emery and they were revised in 1939. They were revised and reprinted in several times in later years and older versions usually bring about $60-75/set. You can buy a complete reprint of the Guide from Lee Valley Tools for $27.95 (here).

The newer "...Library" by Ball has newer power tools included, but covers, I believe, essentially the same basic content. Much of what is included hasn't changed -- for example, the combination square hasn't changed since the 1920's, and there are still 40+ pages on how to use a steel framing square.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS