Air Compressor info

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ye old air compressor gave it's last gasp today, the compressor part has ceased to function. It was a hand-me-down from my pop :crybaby2:

So, it's time to consider a new one and I'm clueless. For me it's a seldom used, but necessary tool. Currently I use it for inflating and blowing off dust. Future usage will possibly include small nail gun or paint sprayer.

Appreciate suggestions on minimal specifications. I want to keep it small and cheeeeep! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance,
Sapwood

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Roger,
Did the compressor lock-up or just stop pumping? You might be able to rebuild it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
Currently I use it for inflating and blowing off dust.
Sapwood

I would love to what your inflated dust looks like:lol: :lol:

I have the PC pancake compressor that came with a brad and a finish nail gun. It won't drive a framing nailer or power a HPLV sprayer. but other than that it has done everything I want and it is quite portable. It will even inflate your ego:lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Roger,

I have the little PC pancake compressor as well. (May be the same as DaveO's - 6 gallon). Got it for Christmas and it came with the three nail guns - brad, finish and stapler. It is oilless and does a pretty adequate job for me. Downside - that sucker can put out some noise when running.:-( I think that my CFO paid $299.00 for it in December. The other day I was at the Borg and it has gone up to $329.00. The same compressor with just the brad and finish nailer is still $298.00 I think. (The thing that puzzled me was that both combo's were at $299.00 in December. Why would someone buy the two nailer when you could buy the three nailer for the same price. - that was back 4 months ago though.)

You may want to check out Northern Tools as well as they seem to have pretty good selection as well.

Wayne

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I obsessed about air compressors a few months ago...

Personally, I would get as much cfm as I had space for / could afford. You can always find a way to use it:eusa_thin

The pancake ones are nice if space is an issue and as mentioned above you can often get them as a kit with a nailer. However, they don't put out much air:eusa_doh: They are pretty much designed to be portable and run nail guns at a job site.

For about the same money you can get a stand up or horizontal compressor that will put out 4-8cfm (depending on model and pressure - they will be rated for output at 40 and 90psi) and have a much larger tank. That will allow you to power a decent number of tools including a sprayer, but not stuff like a grinder, sander, sand blaster, etc (you need the big dog for those).

You will also get to choose between a oiled / oilless compressor. An oilless will not require maintenance, but will theoretically have a shorter life (bearings are permanently lubricated). Of course if you don't keep your eyes on the oil level in the oiled version...:new_blowi

Most of the smaller stuff at Home Depot or Lowes will be permanently lubricated. You can find some smaller compressors at Harbor Freight that take oil.

Hope this helps and good luck:icon_thum

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
B00004WGQL.01-ADFRQ5K4I2LNR._SCLZZZZZZZ_V58328993_.jpg

Roger I bought this last year from Amazon.com for $233 to replace a smaller air compressor that developed a problem. They show it now as unavailable on their website. I really like it. You can carry it around (semi-portable) but it is a little heavy. It has two places to plug air hoses into. I really like that. I have an air hose on both sides of the shop. This saves pulling a hose around the shop. It is fairly quite compared to my smaller compressor. I haven't tried using it with a paint sprayer but it will run a commercial floor nailer with no problem at all. I use it in the shop for brad nailers, blowing dust off stuff, blowing up tires, etc.

Check http://www.superpawn.com/product.asp?catalog_name=SuperPawn&product_id=2523635&c=1 for a reconditioned one for $170.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
First criteria on a compressor is what you are using it for. The term is SCFM (Sustained Cubic Feet per Minute) of air being compressed. The rating is typically given for two PSIs (90 and 40) 90 is the pressure for most rotary air tools. 40 is for things like HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray guns. If you are using an air powered sander you'll need 8+ SCFM at 90. A full sized HVLP spray gun will need at least 8.5 SCFM at 40. For one-at a-time furniture spraying, they also make what is called a "touch-up" or "Stencil" or "Mini" spray gun (not to be confused with an air brush, which won't do the job). They will take about 5 SCFM at 40.
You can sometimes get by with a less SCFM with a bigger tank, especially if your tool use is intermittent, as this gives the compresor a chance to catch up. I have used a DA air sander bottom finishing boats using my 6.8 SCFM 26 Gal tank compressor without problem (I burned up two craftsmen 5 HP 10 Gal tank ones and I would have to stop sanding every 3-4 minutes to wait for them to catch up). You will have to wait until it pressurizes the tank tho, so the bigger the tank, the longer the wait.

Second criteria is durability. Cast iron, piston type, oil bath compressors will last years of continuous use, and can be rebuilt (providing they are decent quality). Aluminum piston oil bath don't usually last as long, even if cast iron sleeved, but will give quite a while of service. Rotary screw oil bath type give more air quicker, but are typically more expensive and cost more for repair. Oilless type compressors use teflon to lubricate the moving parts and do not last as long as oil-bath types, and are usually not repairable when they wear out. For occasional use, tho, they should do fine.

Third Criteria is noise: Cast Iron is quietest. Aluminum is very noisy. Piston is quitest. Rotary is noisiest.

For the criteria you stated, pretty much anything that will get the air pressure for you tires will work. I would go with at least a 5 SCFM withat least a 10 gal tank if you want to get the "Mini" spray gun for furniture finish. However, if you plan to bottom paint that boat you're standing on in your avatar, I would suggest the 5 Hp 26 Gal Campbell Hausfeld "Exteme Duty" Cast Iron compressor as a minimum. That is what I have. It is so quiet that I can run it in the garage, and the wife doesn't realize it when she's watching television in the room on the other side of the wall. The downside is the cost (don't know what they are running these days, I've had mine for about 5 years) and the weight (300 lbs.).
The bright side is that there are a lot of compressors on sale in combo packs today, and you can probably get a neat new toy with it!!:-D

Probably way TMI, but I hope it helps:)
Go

erasmussen

New User
RAS
A lot of the older compressors the reed valves, get fatigued and brake.
they are easy to replace if thats the case.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Earl is right. The reed valve in my friend's compressor broke and we made a new one out of thin stainless shim stock. I was surprised that it worked fine.

rchance

New User
Roger Chance
What type of compressor do you have, the one that died?
I have an old compressor that the tank has gone bad. it is a small roll around has about a 15 gal tank. The compressor is still good. I rebuilt the compressor about 8 years ago. Depending on what you have now you might be able to put this compressor on your tank. It is yours for the asking just PM me.:-D

Monty

New User
Monty
Figured I'd chime in here too... Check the CFM @ 90 psi of the unit you're interested in, then check the CFM requirements of a few air tools to get an idea of how much you expect you'll need. Here is one to consider: link

I have actually heard this one run - it's incredibly quiet. It makes probably less noise than my oil-less compressor!

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO, ya got me dude. However, it was a grammatical error, not a typo :lol:

Randy et. al., the unit is a 25 year-old Campbell Hausfeld FL-3520. I have the manual, parts list etc., but none of the info states the tank size :-? The pressure Switch, manifold/with safety valve, and hose connections have leaked for years. (Note I'm quoting terms from manual :-D). Pretty sure it's all cast iron and the tank, motor, belt, pulleys, and tires are in very good condition (doesn't have brakes!). I turned the unit on; the motor/pulleys worked, but zero compression, not even a hiss. Since I'm engineering challenged I won't go through the frustration of trying to repair :eusa_hand But thanks rchance, for the offer on the compressor unit. Mine unit sounds similar--small/medium-sized horizontal cart type. If anyone is interested in purchase/barter on this one, just PM or perhaps I'll put it on the For Sale forum.

Thanks to all for taking time to provide info. My light usage and wallet directs me toward one of the smaller units, maybe 4-5 cfm and 40-90 PSI.

Sapwood

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Sapwood, I've owned (over a year) the Makita that Insomniac mentioned and must agree that you would be hard pressed to find a more quiet unit. I think I could go to sleep in the same room although I haven't tried that. However, if you are considering spraying in the future it would be worthwhile to get a compressor with more capacity. If an HVLP is in your future, then you will have a turbine and a compressor isn't a factor.
Roy

gator

George
Corporate Member
Roger -

With the 20% off coupon through Saturday at HF, you might want to take a look at the one I mentioned above.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS