Zebrawood desk finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Well, almost finished. I'll do one more light sanding and a thin topcoat today. Desk is Wenge and Zebrawood. Joints are grove and stub tenons and biscuits. Top is put together by cutting tongue and grooves, with just enough glue spots to hold everything. Used water based finishes for the first time to try and not discolor the wood (CrystaLac grain filler and Deft clear semi-gloss finish).

Bottom two drawers on right side are actually one filing drawer.

desk_003.jpg

Sorry about the shadows in next picture, bad photography (about like my computer skills).

desk_004.jpg

desk_005.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Skeeter,

Looks like you did a fine job building the desk, you should enjoy it for many years in the future.

The grain on the top matches up great, was the zebrawood on top long boards cut into sections?

Regards,

Bill

skeeter

New User
Charles
Bill,

Boards on top had a straighter grain and were easier to match so I saved them for the top, although I like the more figured grains better. I was told the top boards were flat cut and the others were quarter-sawn, but I'm not sure. I would like to know from someone who knows more about the cutting and sawing.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
bad @ss boy. I love that grain pattern. very good choice of lumber, very good craftsmanship. Wow is all i can say

WOW

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
WOW!!!! That is a beautiful desk. :eusa_clap From your earlier post, this is a commissioned piece, correct? Will there be matching furniture in the future? A matching bookcase would be awesome.

Paul

Big Mike

New User
Mike
That is a nice job. I don't think I have ever seen that combination of woods used in just that way. I hope the zebra wood is hard enough for a writing surface. It is not a particularly hard wood. That cannot be said for the wenge; hard as nails.....

Good work, Skeeter!:icon_thum:icon_thum

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Bill,
I was told the top boards were flat cut and the others were quarter-sawn, but I'm not sure.

Very Cool Desk :eusa_danc

I'm not an expert but I think it's the other way around. Top boards quartered and side flat. Quarter sawing gives you a straighter grain and a more stable board.

Pete

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful wood combination and attention to detail!! Man, that'll get some rave reviews from anyone that sees it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Your neighbor's gonna be pushing to get you to make one more. :)

Are the top panels veneer ply? It looks like a snug fit.

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang Charles! It's beautiful from every angle . . . probably even from the bottom. Thanks for showing us what striking wood combos can be :eusa_clap

Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Wild looking desk, it's beautiful :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap ! Good luck and many happy years of use with it.

Jimmy

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Charles,

That desk is incredible. I love it. I think you said you had another coat of finish to apply. Please... post a few more shots after the finish is complete... although I can't imagine it actually getting better looking. Congrats.

Ray

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Nice job SKeeter. Man love that wood.
Great job on matching up that grain on the top.
Is the center section a pull out Drawer.
And heck yeah need more pics after finish complete.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Thanks guys! This was a fun project, but seemed to take forever (Heat, laziness, mom had a mini-stroke and I didn't work on it for about two weeks. She's much better now. Pool time, laziness, heat . . you get the idea).

Paul, my next door neighbor wound up wanting it pretty bad, so I guess I'll have to build me another. I am going to build a printer stand, at least. I'm thinking of reversing the woods for it.

Mike, I thought about the Zebrawood hardness too! The water-based finish isn't as hard as regular poly. I may have to have a piece of glass cut. Whatever neighbor wants.

Pete, thanks, I wasn't sure which way the sawing went.

Travis, CrystaLac clear water based grain filler and Deft clear water-based semi-gloss top coat. I was trying to keep from darkening the wood as much as possible.

Chuck, top is regular 3/4 thick boards. Everything is tongue and groove with minimal glue spots. I sure hope there's not a lot of wood movement. Side panels are 3/4" boards resawn and sanded down to 1//4" to fit inside the panels.

Skysharks, no center drawer, needed the stomach room. Oops, did I say that??

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Outstanding, superb, excellent statement of contrasting woods and grains :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
DUDE what a beautiful peice.I love the choices of wood.That needs to go in the next calander. Then mabe in the FINE WOODWORKING mag.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS