Youngest NC Wood Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was wondering who our youngest wood worker is. If you are a member of the forum under 12 and actually make sawdust or lathe dust how about posting a pic of your work and your age?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Are we talking chronological age or maturity age? If the latter then I better go find some pics to add to the thread!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am guessing that wanting to borrow your maul to destroy something doesn't count... :rotflm:

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Cool Kenny is 12. We do stuff together mostly, but he is also known to disappear down to his "creek campsite" with some of our tools and not be seen again for hours.

IMG_00171.JPG

Cody

New User
Cody
Hey Mike, this is Tedge, Cody's Dad. The one that doesn't post much. Cody just turned 11. And when I figure out how to post pics I will add his pic and some of his work.

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
My son TJ has been turning since he was 7 (he is now 10 - Actually got instructions from the likes of Bonnie Klein, Nick Cook and Joe Ruminski at the AAW in Richmond when he was 8 and Frank Penta taught him before that). He has his own Jet Mini and other tools. We had been going to the Home Depot Kids Workshops since he was 4 and he likes making things.

Lately I have not been in the shop so he has not been in the shop.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
That's going to be tough to beat; I was back and forth about whether to post about engraving sketches with a veiner; I have been letting my kids do that since they were 8 and one of my boys did a nice veneer mosaic I hesitate to call marquetry at 9 and turned a few spindle beads, but I am not sure it qualifies. You freed me from my quandary with a trump card. :)

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
my little guy is 4. his first project he "helped" with was a time out stool when he was around 2.

he likes to help me at the lathe but i haven't let him try anythign all by himself. maybe in another year or so.

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
Be careful Phil. As soon as your son gets the turning bug you'll be waiting in line for your lathe like I was. I am glad TJ has his own lathe now but his tools are better then mine (he has a set of Crown tools and the majority of mine are Harbor Freight with some Sorbys) One thing I have yet to teach him is how to sharpen tools.

Here's a goblet TJ did about 2 years ago (when he was 8 years old)

TJGoblet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors