WTB: Motor Pulley for 15" Buffalo Drill Press

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Looking for a motor pulley for a 15" Buffalo Drill Press. Part number 11175 or 11175-A.
Thanks
Rick

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Do you have the 'old' one? It would seem that a pulley is a pully and PN11175 is not at all unique to a Buffalo. Years ago (1985 or so), I was gifted an old press and renewed it with a pair of generic bearings of the identical dimensions as those originally fitted. Sold it last year in great working order.

Of course, it could well be that you've found the exception to the rule. If so, ignore my attempt at helping. :)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Assuming that it is a step pulley, it should be available from multiple sources. Measure shaft size to make sure if it's metric, or Imperial. Look at others 15" drill presses to get an idea of size. Ace Hardware stocks a 3/4" bore, four step pulley for about $20, which based upon Ebay search looks like it would work.

Last edited:

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
"Looking for a motor pulley" Led me to assume your drill press had both a 'motor' and a 'quill' pulley with each the (vertical) mirror of the other, each comprised of three or four pulleys each a bit larger than the one below (or above on it's mirror). And, since you wrote that you were looking for "a motor" pulley, I further assumed that you had the Quill Pulley in hand and, thus, could easily measure the quill pulley to determine the diameters and other measurements required of a mate to fit the motor shaft.

Frankly, unless there is some need to rebuild the press so as to achieve the exact speeds available 'from the factory,' you likely would not need to match the diameters of the Quill Pulley exactly.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I do have the spindle pulley for this Buffalo drill press. The 11175 is from the Buffalo parts list. I haven't yet been able to find a generic match. This is a 5 step pulley with the following dimensions
11175 (no A) motor pulley
overall height: 2-27/32"
step diameters:
1. 1-5/8"
2. 2-1/2"
3. 3-5/8"
4. 4-5/8"
5. 5-1/2"
1/2" bore

Rick

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I do have the spindle pulley for this Buffalo drill press. The 11175 is from the Buffalo parts list. I haven't yet been able to find a generic match. This is a 5 step pulley with the following dimensions
11175 (no A) motor pulley
overall height: 2-27/32"
step diameters:
1. 1-5/8"
2. 2-1/2"
3. 3-5/8"
4. 4-5/8"
5. 5-1/2"
1/2" bore

Rick
Have you visited this site? Buffalo Machines, Inc. - Drills (Buffalo Machines, Inc.)
https://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/AK-Step-Pulleys-c4994.htm (Royal Supply)
orders@justasktask.com Contact - Task Industrial (Task Industrial)
MasterDrive AKS62-1/2 (MRO Supply)
"You can contact Buffalo at (716)625-9830. They also have a website at www.bmt-usa.com"
Vintage Drill Press Slow-Speed Pulleys (Garage Journal)

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks Charles - I sent an email to Buffalo Machines anbd will call them if I don't get a response.

Rick

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Well Buffalo Machine got back to me pretty quick - they have a motor pulley (different number) - cost is out of sight - new one is $600 and used is $250l Way too high for me. I did find a used one on the rivate market significantly cheaper - think I'll go for that.

Rick

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I have the same DP and have looked for the same pulley for a very long time (and I'm in Buffalo, where there are a ton of those DPs). The motor pulleys seem to all have disappeared over the years. You will not find one for a reasonable price. Good news is that a generic 4-step can do just fine if you just drop using your top speed and align it with the bottom four steps on the spindle shaft. (And not a whole lot of reason to ever want to drill that fast anyway.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors