Would appreciate advice from Robust Sweet 16 owners...WTB my first lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
I am planning on buying my first lathe and have decided on the Robust Sweet 16 (well...you could talk me out of it, I guess.) I think that most of my turning will be bowls, platters, and "art" as opposed to spindle turning but it's hard to say what direction this hobby will take. I am curious which of the options for the Sweet 16 that owners found useful/important/worth the money. For example, the tilt away, the 2HP upgrade, the remote stop foot switch, tool caddy, caster set, etc. It is my understanding that you can't add the removable bed section to the end of the lathe if you get the tilt-away option...but how often would this matter? Or, should I just get the American Beauty? Thank you for your time and attention!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Talk to Stuart Kent at he NC Furniture School. He has turned on both and is a Robust dealer. I putzed around with this decision and went with you latter option.

Regardless, get the tilt away for sure. For no regrets, get the bigger motor.

I bought the tool caddy after the lathe and glad I finally did. I have not, and will not, buy the caster set. I have a floor jack and 3" casters seem to fit the holes in the foot plate of the legs just fine. Saw this at Klingspor or WC on every other brand of lathe and by a Robust dealer at the TNWA Symposium and thought, Duh! But then my lathe never moves.

You 're closer to Stuart than me but if you haven't been on a test drive ask one of us.

Then join the NCFS Woodturners Club the first Saturday of each month at the school. The school donates space and time. However, the first Saturday in April will be ladies day, so no club meeting.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate your time and experience. Contacting Stuart and checking out the lathes at the school is an excellent idea...it looks like he's pretty close too!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate your time and experience. Contacting Stuart and checking out the lathes at the school is an excellent idea...it looks like he's pretty close too!

While its supposedly a great machine, for me, the limiting factor is the non sliding head. When Im inside of a large bowl, I need the tool swing the sliding head affords me on my PM3520. Seems like a huge limitation for a $6500 machine.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
While its supposedly a great machine, for me, the limiting factor is the non sliding head. When Im inside of a large bowl, I need the tool swing the sliding head affords me on my PM3520. Seems like a huge limitation for a $6500 machine.

I see your point Chris, I was hoping that the removable section in the Sweet 16 would allow for anything I might turn...but that's difficult to predict at this point. So, do you have an outboard turning stand to hold your tool rest when you slide your headstock down to the end. Or did I misunderstand?

awldune

Sam
User
I am surprised so many people enjoy the tilting head. My Nova has one but I never use it because with any large bowl I want to have tailstock support until it is balanced.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I can't offer anything useful to the OP's question, but I am curious. What does the Robust offer @$6,500 that the Powermatic 3520C doesn't have @ $4,500?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't offer anything useful to the OP's question, but I am curious. What does the Robust offer @$6,500 that the Powermatic 3520C doesn't have @ $4,500?

The answer to Adam's Question is: Made in the USA.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I see your point Chris, I was hoping that the removable section in the Sweet 16 would allow for anything I might turn...but that's difficult to predict at this point. So, do you have an outboard turning stand to hold your tool rest when you slide your headstock down to the end. Or did I misunderstand?
The problem you will see is your tool handle hitting the lathe bed while coring... slide the head toward the end and use the banjo supplied and no more issues, stand at the end and keep working. And, you can add the outboard lower banjo support and increase your turning diameter to something like 38".. I have one, but haven't gone that large yet

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
The two lathes are not apples to apples. Before you buy anything, come by the shop and put your hands on them. I have lathes from several manufacturers, Robust is my favorite for many reasons. Give me a call and I'll be happy to let you test drive them yourself. 252.916.8226

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The two lathes are not apples to apples. Before you buy anything, come by the shop and put your hands on them. I have lathes from several manufacturers, Robust is my favorite for many reasons. Give me a call and I'll be happy to let you test drive them yourself. 252.916.8226

Ok Stuart, suppose for the rest of us , you outline why its worth 50% more?. please be specific.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Sure.

Heavier oversized bearings, hardened spindle, 32" swing with tail stock support, banjo movable behind spindle, stainless steel bed ways, oversized heavy gauge wiring, vector drive, American made motors with high duty cycle and better overload protection/overloads, higher trade included tooling, 7 year warranty, made buy a guy named Brent in Wisconsin, delivered and serviced by me.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Sure.

Heavier oversized bearings, hardened spindle, 32" swing with tail stock support, banjo movable behind spindle, stainless steel bed ways, oversized heavy gauge wiring, vector drive, American made motors with high duty cycle and better overload protection/overloads, higher trade included tooling, 7 year warranty, made buy a guy named Brent in Wisconsin, delivered and serviced by me.
Sorry, still not seeing $2500..... Have a 12 year old PM3520.... never had a bearing problem, motor problem or any problem for that matter. Ive chucked up LOTS of heavy lopsided lumber on it, never any bearing problems, not sure why one needs a hardened spindle either. Or had a reason to move my banjo behind the spindle?. whats higher trade tooling?. All that and you still hit your tool handle coring.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Sorry, still not seeing $2500..... Have a 12 year old PM3520.... never had a bearing problem, motor problem or any problem for that matter. Ive chucked up LOTS of heavy lopsided lumber on it, never any bearing problems, not sure why one needs a hardened spindle either. Or had a reason to move my banjo behind the spindle?. whats higher trade tooling?. All that and you still hit your tool handle coring.

my friend, I have no interest in arguing my value sets against yours, or contending with you regarding machines. I like mine, you like yours, I am positive that you make beautiful things with it, and I am pleased with what comes off of mine. I was trying to answer a question about Robust, and certainly did not intend to set this conversation on a contentious course. I appreciate your opinions, and always value your input. Thank you.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
my friend, I have no interest in arguing my value sets against yours, or contending with you regarding machines. I like mine, you like yours, I am positive that you make beautiful things with it, and I am pleased with what comes off of mine. I was trying to answer a question about Robust, and certainly did not intend to set this conversation on a contentious course. I appreciate your opinions, and always value your input. Thank you.

And I yours Stuart! This is why I asked. As you said, we have different opinion about whats important and whats not for our own use, just trying to help others here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS