Workshop to make burial urns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Bruce,

One word needs to be corrected -- it should be COMPLIMENTS, which conveys the correct meaning of the gift from our organization. The word complement has a different meaning (see this link). It is a commonly made error with these two spellings. Sorry I didn't catch it earlier.

I am going to try to make some boxes, but I won't be able to for at least a few weeks.

Thank you Rob. I need all the help I can get.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
What is the annual requirement for these? How limited is the storage space at the cemetery? Could the program be expanded to include veterans anywhere in the state? If so, I'm confident that some funeral homes would be willing to maintain a few in inventory for veterans.

On a woodworking level, this project may be something to which I can finally contribute. If there is a workshop in the Cary area, I'm hoping to be there.

Regarding the engraving, what is the purpose of NOT FOR SALE? That seems a little negative to me. Let me also suggest that you consider the alternate wording, NCWOODWORKER.NET THANKS YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. and maybe REST IN PEACE.

I don't have any way of knowing what the demand is going to be. It's a learning process, but I will ask the National Cemetery director for an estimate when we meet.
The purpose of the project is to insure no veteran's cremains get buried in a cardboard box, as happens, in the National and State Veterans Cemeteries. This is due to the veteran being an indigent, or their family cannot afford the cost of an urn. Urns can be delivered to a funeral home if the above guidelines are met, and internment is in the veteran's cemeteries.
The reason for the words, NOT FOR SALE, means just that. Although the majority of funeral directors are highly reputable and honest, this eliminates the chance of an unscrupulous funeral director from selling the urn. As for the rest of the wording, the engraving is being donated, and the engraving comes at a cost to the donor, and probably needs to be as brief as possible.
I hope this answers some of your questions. Thank you for asking, your opinion and comments are valued.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
As I previously mentioned, I'll do some laser engraving. I can cut a bunch of bottoms and engrave them or, if someone wants to cut a bunch, I'll engrave those.

I guess we need to choose a wood species first.

I can also engrave some thin material that can be glued to a box bottom.

Just need the "official" words.

Jeff, have you received Rob's wording? Will that work? Because the bottom is removeable, attached with 3 screws, perhaps we could get them made, then bring them to you for engraving. There is also the thought of engraving the insignia of each service branch on a 4 x 4 x 1/4" piece to glue to the top, and attach when the urn is to be used, thus minimizing the inventory of urns. I'd welcome your thoughts.
Bruce

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
View attachment 15671

Picture of a completed urn.
Bruce - that's helpful thanks.

Assuming I understand the design correctly, i) the top is permanently attached during the construction, ii) the ashes are placed in from the bottom, then iii) the bottom is screwed into place by the funeral director/rep using the 3 SS #8 screws mentioned in the bill of materials ?

-Mark

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Bruce - that's helpful thanks.

Assuming I understand the design correctly, i) the top is permanently attached during the construction, ii) the ashes are placed in from the bottom, then iii) the bottom is screwed into place by the funeral director/rep using the 3 SS #8 screws mentioned in the bill of materials ?

-Mark

That is correct Mark. Thank you for verifying that. Now go get 'em brother!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I guess nobody liked my alternative wording, which is fine. However, notice that the website is NCWOODWORKER.NET, not NC WOODWORKERS.NET, and there is no space between NC and WOODWORKER.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Would be interested in helping out too.

A good photo tutorial would help immensely with respect to what the final product should look like. I admit to being confused whether these are for *burial* (in the ground) and whether these are *urns* (turned vases). Or some other design.

A suggestion on marking the bottom: laser engrave the wording onto thin plywood or metal discs. The discs can be recessed into the bottom with a common size forstner (2" ? 2.5") or the recessed turned, if these are turned vases.

That way the lettering and the vases can be batched separately.

-Mark

If someone could do a tutorial on the build process , I would be able to do a couple when I have a time to get into the shop and work.

its hard for me to get to gathering to help.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Instead of "Not For Sale" how about "Donated By NCWoodworker.net". Just a suggestion to make the wording more acceptable.

Charley

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I think that is much better wording and implies the mission much better. Thank you Charlie. Will you be able to make the meeting Thursday with Mr. Owens? I'd be greatful honored by your presence.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I am twext and tween. I think the Not for sale part is needed. Yes donated by is great however that would not stop one being sold to other than whom we make these for. At least if marked NOT etc the possible buyer would see the NOT and stop to question.

Bruce; I bin a thunkin, RUN RUN :}, How do you feel about pocket screws and glue to hold the tops down? I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy :) we dont know how long these will sit and a good chance the wood to warp. At least screws and glue should prevent that.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If someone could do a tutorial on the build process , I would be able to do a couple when I have a time to get into the shop and work.

its hard for me to get to gathering to help.
I hear you.

I checked my shop yesterday and I have a fair supply (for a hobbyist) of wide white oak. I spent some time yesterday sketching joinery options for the lid to the sides. If I can find some shop time this week I'll try to record construction as I go along.

-Mark

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
<snip>

Bruce; I bin a thunkin, RUN RUN :}, How do you feel about pocket screws and glue to hold the tops down? I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy :) we dont know how long these will sit and a good chance the wood to warp. At least screws and glue should prevent that.
Although you asked Bruce, I'm going to jump in since I was thinking about this.

The top is quite wide (8.75" across the grain) and I think it might be asking a bit much to expect the top-to-sides joint not to expand/contract.

Quick calc:
Flatsawn white/red oak has a coefficient of 0.0037
Worst-case moisture content change: 10% (from say 6% MC to 16% MC) (see Note 1)
Width: 8.25" (see Note 2)

Maximum change = 0.0037*10*8.25 = 0.305" or about 5/16"

There are two side-to-top joints that will see this much movement, so each joint needs to withstand 1/2 the total amount or 5/32"

Accommodating 5/32" of wood movement seems like a risky proposition for a hard-curing PVA glue ? Maybe epoxy or another glue would do better. Intuitively, it seems like a pocket-screw could accommodate this much movement - maybe wallow the hole in the side a bit.

Another option is a purely mechanical joint like figure 8 clips:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sl20001/#.VSPeuI10zcs

Thoughts ?

-Mark

Note 1 - from http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/108898/calculating-for-wood-movement
Note 2 - the top has a total width of 8.75", but we only care about the 8.25" that will rest on the sides.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would gum wood work for this?

If so I have a couple hundred board feet some is 12 inch wide.

I would donate nearly all of it just would like to keep a few boards to use for a project.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
In case you haven't seen the other post, I have made sample engraved examples. The bottom is 2" in diameter and just requires a 2" forstner bit to install. The top one will be glued to the top of the urn. It has a rope edge cut around so it will look great attached to the top. here are the pictures.
DSC09351.JPG
DSC09352.JPG

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
Would gum wood work for this?

If so I have a couple hundred board feet some is 12 inch wide.

I would donate nearly all of it just would like to keep a few boards to use for a project.

I think gum wood would work just fine. Now if we can get a workshop organized we've got the material. Thank you Mike, for the generous contribution.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bruce Et Al : For anyone who does not possess pocket screw equipment I am well equipped having just upgraded my shop with the new Foreman :D. I know I am kinda out in the woods LOL here in Zebulon but, if a few folks want to head out this way, we could make components, for lack of a better term and then assemble at your leisure back at your places. Just a thought y'all welcome anytime

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
In case you haven't seen the other post, I have made sample engraved examples. The bottom is 2" in diameter and just requires a 2" forstner bit to install. The top one will be glued to the top of the urn. It has a rope edge cut around so it will look great attached to the top. here are the pictures.
View attachment 15740
View attachment 15739
Those are beautiful Brad.

But the top medallion takes us in the direction of not being able to finish the boxes until the background of the deceased is known. Something like a JIT delivery process, or the National Cemetery needs to maintain a stock the different medallions and assemble 'as-needed'.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, is there a common symbol for all US Armed Forces, so as to allow the boxes to be delivered to the Cemetery as finished units and avoiding the stocking problem ?

Again, beautiful work.

-Mark

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
installing the branch piece on the top will not be a problem. We are going to make enough of each so that all that will have to be done is attach it to the top of the urn. We are looking at using double sided tape so all it will be is a peel and stick process to personalize it for the branch served in. keeping them stocked is not a big deal as I will have the file ready to go so when more are needed I will just make them and forward them to who ever is running the project. To my knowledge there is no one size fits all emblem.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Brad, regards the 2" dia, how close a tolerance can you maintain? NOT busting just wondering if taking the 2" as nominal and doing a fostner @ 2" will there be enuf clearance so the emblems do not have to be put in with a gentle mallet :}

When you have a production blank or emblem can I get a couple to test setup? I have one urn ready in shop to go
thanks
Jack

PS: I can get a 2 1/16 fostner bit :} wood this be enuf clearance?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS