Working with a Large Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
Well, hi all. I thought I'd exercise a little more of NCWW, get some help and generate some discussion. (Here's another place I could use some help: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/grill-case-32273/ .)

As already has been said several times :eusa_danc, yesterday's Picnic was great and sucessful and much fun! It was also a place where we could find some nice work already completed and some nice wood just begging to be purchased. In my case, I couldn't resist the 2" maple slab that Chris Brittain (CB Burls) brought with him. And even my wife has gotten over the initial shock :icon_cheers -- it's really a BIG pill! I haven't figured out yet how to embed the pics in my post, so you can see a few (4) here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=47730

The slab is 2" by 6 feet by 28" wide and, per Chris, is at about 18% moisture content. I have it in my wood shelter (a dismantled and reassembled steel carport) right now, but will move it into my shop to continue air drying right away (maybe today even -- believe it or not, I actually have A spot to put it -- but only one!). The pics show the slab and several closeups. It's some type of maple (I'm trying to learn what) with fascinating figure that features quilting throughout (top to bottom across the entire slab) along with several other interesting markings (I'll eventually find out how much is surface and how much is grain).

So what I'm trying to do now, is decide what to do with it. The first and obvious choice is a really nice table. I even have some large cherry or black walnut that could make marvelous legs. Frankly, I'd hate to cut it up, but one big table could instead be some incredible matched veneers that would go a LOT farther. I've already got some great black walnut slices I've done for my other big current project (the "grill case"). And with this size of wood, it could also be cut for one or more smaller tables. Let me know what you think -- I'm pretty much open on this one with the big table now at the top.

And then there would be the actual working of the piece. I'll get it cleaned up better when I can and it's dried a little more. I've only done table tops or similar work maybe up to half this size before, so that's a bit of a challenge. No problems with straight edges and winding sticks. How to get there -- well, that's open. I don't have a powered hand-planer and I don't really want to be that agressive. I've used a belt sander, so that's an option, as would be setting up a leveling frame for a router. Hand planing? Maybe some, but's that's not what I want. But I'm definitely open on this one. I don't have real concerns about messing it up, but I do want almost all of that 2" thickness if it's to be a table(s). I'm not concerned about final finish because that's what I do -- that's my special area to play with :widea: -- it's looking like tung oil or some derivative at this point.

Since air drying will take some time, I'm in no rush -- I do have a few other things to do. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Rich

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you can get one side flat wide belt sanding it is an option to finish it. You could get one side (or the whole thing) flat with hand planes. A few good sharp handplanes can make quick work of flattening a top. To give perspective, I flattened the top of my 24 by 82 hard maple workbench only with handplanes.

Another option is to build a router sled to flatten one side and then hook up with someone with a sander or planer that can handle it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a beauty of a slab Rich. :eek: I have the same problem. Just can't seem to cut into a nice slab like that. :no: I've only been faced with that one time and ended up making a table out of it. :gar-La;

richlife

New User
Rich
If you can get one side flat wide belt sanding it is an option to finish it. You could get one side (or the whole thing) flat with hand planes. A few good sharp handplanes can make quick work of flattening a top. To give perspective, I flattened the top of my 24 by 82 hard maple workbench only with handplanes.

Another option is to build a router sled to flatten one side and then hook up with someone with a sander or planer that can handle it.

Well, my hand planing has been limited to much smaller boards, but it's certainly a possibility -- frankly, it would probably be faster than setting up a router sled -- the slab is in quite good shape ready to be worked.

I wonder who might have the equipment to handle a large piece like that? :gar-La; Rich

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While I'd vote hand planes, I also don't have to do the work :)

While staring at your pic, one thing that leapfrogged to mind was a door. You could build a nice contrasting rail-n-style frame around it and have one stunning entry door.

The idea came as I looked at those "ripples in a pond" parts. Sort of door knobish.

Jim

richlife

New User
Rich
While I'd vote hand planes, I also don't have to do the work :)

While staring at your pic, one thing that leapfrogged to mind was a door. You could build a nice contrasting rail-n-style frame around it and have one stunning entry door.

The idea came as I looked at those "ripples in a pond" parts. Sort of door knobish.

Jim

Yeah, Jim. I kinda thought about that in passing. I could love it (and honestly, I do need a nice front door). But that would be one heavy door -- unless I get back to the veneer thing -- hmmm.

Rich

Rich show some pictures of the front side....lol, then you can see all the figure...

Also, if you can bring it down one day to my shop I have a 30" spiral head planer and 50" drum sander that we can knock it out in no time...I would be glad to do it for free....I also have a few tables that a leg company have been building at my shop that might give you some great ideas of what to do with it....They bought all the other slabs from this same cutting and may help you some.....Please feel free to call me at 828-994-7333

Dragon

New User
David
Sounds like y'all need a good router and sled rig-up to me. If'n ya got a place to set one up, I'd sure opt for that vs the hand planing. More elbow grease that I was issued for that job. :eek: If you need to see some sleds to get some inspiration, have a look-see in my photo gallery. Not sayin' my way is best, or that I hit on the magic solution, but at least give it a shot before you go veneerin' that beautiful hunk of wood.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Rich: I think your best bet is to haul it to Chris' place in Newton. I've got a 37" drum sander you're welcome to use, but that 30" planer would be quicker. Either way, you're gonna have to get one side relatively flat first. Doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to keep the slab from rocking as it goes through.

As for what to do with it, if I had something that pretty, I'd be tempted to frame it and hang it on the wall. :gar-Bi

Bill

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Rich show some pictures of the front side....lol, then you can see all the figure...

Also, if you can bring it down one day to my shop I have a 30" spiral head planer and 50" drum sander that we can knock it out in no time...I would be glad to do it for free....I also have a few tables that a leg company have been building at my shop that might give you some great ideas of what to do with it....They bought all the other slabs from this same cutting and may help you some.....Please feel free to call me at 828-994-7333

What is the brand of the 30" planer? I am looking to buy one from Grizzly but they only make an industrial model that is 25".

richlife

New User
Rich

You're right, Chris! I meant to say that my pics are of the "bad" side (though it's kind of a stretch to call either "bad"). Lets say that I haven't shown the "near perfect" side -- the side that Chris had cleaned up a little to show some highlights -- or rather, to highlight what the entire piece looks like. Since I moved the slab into my shop today, I'll get the front side pic tomorrow.

Now the rest a' you boys stop pickin' on me for thinkin' about cuttin' this thing up! It was JUST a thought! I mean, you could panel a large wall with that stuff! Or make scads of furniture! But I'm more of the mind of Jim (Froglips) and Trent -- I don't think I could really take a saw to it. :no:

So for lots of reasons (time to complete drying, a soon to take place trip Sheila and I have planned and lots of importunate happenings that have just insisted on getting in the way, it'll be a while. But Chris or Kyle or someone else may just see this slab again. Or you never know -- a guy who can spend months just carving and smoothing and finishing one piece could just decide that it would be well worth it to employ a straight edge and jack plane. And what a good excuse to finish that smoothing plane whose body just sits there... So many great things to do and all I have is time on my hands. :rotflm: Rich

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rich, if you trim the slab down to 25" wide or less, we can run it through my jointer/planer. I also have a WBS, but would suggest starting with the J/P.

I'm a little bit closer to you than Chris is; however I'm envious of his 30" planer!

richlife

New User
Rich
Rich, if you trim the slab down to 25" wide or less, we can run it through my jointer/planer. I also have a WBS, but would suggest starting with the J/P.

I'm a little bit closer to you than Chris is; however I'm envious of his 30" planer!

Just a tad closer? Ya think!? :eusa_thin But, yes, thanks. Depending on what I decide to do with it, I appreciate that offer, Scott. It's a bit skewed which would be fine for some things, less so with others. (Huh, "listen" to me --"others". Like I've come up with lots of options -- a table or a door. Or feel forever tormented for cutting this thing up :eusa_naug .) Rich

richlife

New User
Rich
You're right, Chris! I meant to say that my pics are of the "bad" side (though it's kind of a stretch to call either "bad"). Lets say that I haven't shown the "near perfect" side -- the side that Chris had cleaned up a little to show some highlights -- or rather, to highlight what the entire piece looks like. Since I moved the slab into my shop today, I'll get the front side pic tomorrow.

Now the rest a' you boys stop pickin' on me for thinkin' about cuttin' this thing up! It was JUST a thought! I mean, you could panel a large wall with that stuff! Or make scads of furniture! But I'm more of the mind of Jim (Froglips) and Trent -- I don't think I could really take a saw to it. :no:

So for lots of reasons (time to complete drying, a soon to take place trip Sheila and I have planned and lots of importunate happenings that have just insisted on getting in the way, it'll be a while. But Chris or Kyle or someone else may just see this slab again. Or you never know -- a guy who can spend months just carving and smoothing and finishing one piece could just decide that it would be well worth it to employ a straight edge and jack plane. And what a good excuse to finish that smoothing plane whose body just sits there... So many great things to do and all I have is time on my hands. :rotflm: Rich

Ok, I posted those pics of the "A" side like I promised. Play "find the defect" and then tell me if you think it qualifies as a "defect". :confused_

3 pics: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=47824

richlife

New User
Rich
I hate to BUMP my own thread (and promise not to do it again) :sad11: , but I really am looking for ideas. I still like the table, my wife is big on the front door (suggested by Jim froglips), but surely there is more that could be done with a large, heavy slab! You guys are my experts! My "go to" team! The only option I have besides my own insanity (rip it into small panels and make chess sets, heh, heh, heh :jealous: -- me LOVES chess sets :help: ). Maybe I should add a poll? Everyone loves polls, right? :swoon: Rich

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Question, have you layed the board down as it would be for a table top?

See what you think looking down and across the surface.

Your pics show us a straight on look, which you might not get as a table top.

I promise to come up with 3 more suggestions, 2 of which will be related to your project ;-)

Jim

Here are some ideas for you....
1.headboard- just clean up and screw to the wall, push old bed frame up to wall an anchor...Works great made one for a coustomer in the mountains...
2. two end tables,
3. If you like coffee table idea I can show you how to stress it to make it look like natural edge all the way around in any shape you like. I can even give you legs or a base...
4. resaw a few times and make instrument backs out of it....double, triple your money on the net....
5. Desk, I love desk, Kyle has the best desk wood though....Kinda straight for a desk....
6. counter tops
7 island butcher block counter top.....rip and stand up on end grain...not sure if this would be hard enough though? soft maple... But the figure in this and colors would be gorgeous...

Sorry I have been on in a while I'm so busy, I put the sawmill on the road and I have been swamped....Finishing a job today and then heading to the Beach for the weekend, I will be in Chester SC all next week doing a saw job, So if you need me to saw anything for you and you are close by I will do up to 8 cuts free, but if I hit metal in your piece that is 18.00 for a blade....lol. If you ar close and need somehing sawn just PM or call me....I can saw up to 16' long and 30" wide with sawmill....true 30" between guides, I moded my saw....lol. I love it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors