Working on the Shop instead of in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Jimm and Scott
Thanks for the advice. I added up all teh circuits i have and will need for additional lights and outlets that I am going to put in before closing up the walls then added a bunch for future expansion and decided on the 20 slot box. It was a little cheeper also. as I am over budget on insulating my shop with the purchase of additional lights outlets and supplies, I am trying to keep the costs down to keep my wife happy. Also I still have the current box and can always add it in for some addition circuits if needed. Unfortunetly I have to work 3rd shift tonight so no progress on the shop, but will get some tomorrow when I get the box up and more insulation installed. Will post up some pics then.

Dave The Luan is a good idea and may fall back on that but I am hopping that a source for some free slat wall will come through. If so I will be using it from 4ft up and mdf below that.

Thanks
Dave

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Well another weekend is over and a bunch of work on the shop is done. New panel is in and looks so empty. only 4 breakers in the 20 slot panel. Sorry no pic yet. It was too cold out there. I also got up more insulationa and will be finishing it hopefully this week. I now need to decide on 2 more shop lights to go over the table saw location and assembly table. The decision is either permanent mount or hanging. I have 10 ft open ceilings. Any recomendations from those with shop similar to this?

I am trying to learn sketchup and will hopefully load up a layout i am thinking about later today or tomorrow for some critique.

Thanks for the help
Dave

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,
It sounds good so far, I don't know how you worked without heat this weekend, but you did. Keep us updated and good luck.

Jimmy:)

ps. I know what you are saying about a budget and the wife:lol:

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Jom
I used a 35,000 BTU propane ready heater and many layers. When I started it was 17 putside. after about 30 monites the shop was 40, so the insulation that is up is already helping. My buddy that was helping me was cold so he stood infront of the heater most of the time.

Dave

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
While there's no reason other than money and space NOT to go with a humongous panel, there's also no requirement to do so either.

240V tools do NOT need to be on dedicated circuits in a hobby shop environment. The panel should be sized based on expected usage, e.g. one individual working in the shop.

While the DC and air compressor can be expected to run autonomously, one would not expect a hobbyest (or any single person shop) to simultaneously operate a TS, shaper, jointer, planer, lathe, etc. All these single-user tools can share one circuit because they are not run simultaneously. This saves money and time.

I have (arguably) 9 240V tools and they are supported by 4 240 circuits....

All that said, I don't know if the OP (Dave) is a hobbyest. I do know that anyone with a 30HP phase converter isn't. :lol:

-Mark

J

jeff...

[BANANA]200 AMP Panel [/BANANA]

These guys they are trying to save you some major headache down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS