Workbench WIP...the end is very near!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I started this thread a little while ago....http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f81/workbench-wip-9872/

OK, it was a pretty good while ago. I finished the workbench base/top in 8 weeks or so...it has taken another year to finish (well, almost) the cabs/drawers.

Would it be possible to get the thread opened so I can bring closure to this [strike]odyssey[/strike] [strike]adventure[/strike] [strike]culmination of a blend of hard work, careful planning, and meticulous execution[/strike] project?

Here's a pic before final sanding/finish...
IMG_1223.JPG

Chuck

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job Chuck. :thumbs_up You sure it is a work bench? It is nicer then some of the pieces in my LR.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
NICE looking workbench Chuck! :eek: :notworthy: Like many others have said, it definitely looks more like something to put in the living room.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's one nice piece of shop furniture!!

All these workbench threads are making me want to build one, maybe sometime in '09.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A fine looking bench! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

At least you did it- a bench has been on my "to do" list for longer than it took you to build one! :roll::roll::roll:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bench Chuck.

I suggest you buy a bottle of Boiled Linseed Oil when you're done. Traditionally, woodworkers smash a bottle of BLO against the tail vise to christen it. Also buy a box of tissues - you're going to need it the first time you slip with the chisel. No, not to wipe off the blood, but for the tears on damaging that gorgeous piece of furniture!

(Side note: I was cutting down a sheet of ply this weekend. Had the shop-made saw guide the wrong way. Or the circular saw - depends on which way you look at it. Net result: Ruined the saw guide and put a nice saw kerf in the vise. The saw guide I can replace, just two boards glued together. But the vise....flarg!)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Awesome Chuck! Good to see you back at it. Love the purpleheart accents. I think I will copy that from you like I copied your doing the top perimeter with purpleheart.

What are you storing in the drawers? Did the slides work out or did you have to use different ones?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great looking bench Chuck.

I suggest you buy a bottle of Boiled Linseed Oil when you're done. Traditionally, woodworkers smash a bottle of BLO against the tail vise to christen it. Also buy a box of tissues - you're going to need it the first time you slip with the chisel. No, not to wipe off the blood, but for the tears on damaging that gorgeous piece of furniture!

(Side note: I was cutting down a sheet of ply this weekend. Had the shop-made saw guide the wrong way. Or the circular saw - depends on which way you look at it. Net result: Ruined the saw guide and put a nice saw kerf in the vise. The saw guide I can replace, just two boards glued together. But the vise....flarg!)

No problem with crying over chisel gouges, I already butchered it up just constructing the beast.:gar-La;

I really try to keep reminding myself it's just wood, and it can be repaired. (BTW I followed your workbench post during construction a while back - didn't look like you used the BLO toast! Very nice work too. :icon_thum)

Chuck

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
(BTW I followed your workbench post during construction a while back - didn't look like you used the BLO toast! Very nice work too. :icon_thum)
Well, you're right - I did not smash a bottle of BLO, but I did spill quite a bit from the jar...

Spreading the spilled oil over the work bench was not so bad. Cleaning it off the floor, jointer, table saw, shop vac - not so much fun. :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS