Workbench Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am preparing to build a new workbench for my little shop. I have decided on my construction materials and methods, but need some suggestions from those who have already built far more benches than I.

1. The top to my workbench is going to be a finished size of 30" X 60". I want to maximize the size of the storage cabinet that will be under the top. What is the minimum suggested overhang on the sides and the end that will not have a front vice mounted? Mostly this overhang will be used to accomodate clamping things to the bench.

2. I am planning on installing a 7" cast iron front vice to the side on one end of the bench. It will have wooden jaw inserts that will extend 1" beyond the ends of the iron jaws. I am planning to use hard maple for the inserts. Do these need to be any preferred thickness? Will a full 1" thickness be sufficient for most clamping situations?

3. What would be your suggestions for a good quality (but not necessarily top dollar) vice? I have seen so many at the woodworking stores and on-line that I am totally confused? Do I need the quick release?

Thanks for any feedback. This is going to be my Spring project.

Glennbear

Glenn
Excellent questions Rick, I am constructing a similar bench and anxiously await replies from those here who have preceded us into the wilds of bench building. :wsmile:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Rick, the BigLots in Spring Lake has some woodworking vices in stock there. As I recall, they are about $40.00 and look very similar to the $90 and more expensive quick release vices elsewhere.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The last one I built has 3" in front and back and 15" at the ends. That's a lot at the ends, but I wanted space on the floor right under the bench ends. The banding is cut down 2X material that is just screwed on so I can replace it when it gets too beat up.

Not yet complete in this photo. I added a vise to the front left. I will add a chest of drawers on the lower shelf.

Bench_22.jpg

View image in gallery

Think about what you will clamp to the top of the bench and how you will clamp it. That might help with how deep the overhang should be.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
1. The top to my workbench is going to be a finished size of 30" X 60". I want to maximize the size of the storage cabinet that will be under the top. What is the minimum suggested overhang on the sides and the end that will not have a front vice mounted? Mostly this overhang will be used to accomodate clamping things to the bench.

I would want at least 4" on the side and at least 4" on the front. One point to consider is if you are going to use bench dogs if then are going to stick below the top and if they might interfere with doors/drawers being opened.

2. I am planning on installing a 7" cast iron front vice to the side on one end of the bench. It will have wooden jaw inserts that will extend 1" beyond the ends of the iron jaws. I am planning to use hard maple for the inserts. Do these need to be any preferred thickness? Will a full 1" thickness be sufficient for most clamping situations?

I would think it would work. I would want the jaws to cover the metal on top as well so a rabbet so to speak. That way you can minimize incidents with the metal parts of the jaws hitting and damaging a chisel or hand plane.

3. What would be your suggestions for a good quality (but not necessarily top dollar) vice? I have seen so many at the woodworking stores and on-line that I am totally confused? Do I need the quick release?

I definitely prefer quick release vises. As to what to get, are you wanting a front vise, end vise, shoulder vise, what? Woodcraft in general has pretty good prices on their hardware.

rick7938

New User
Rick
NO FAIR, RAY! THAT'S THE SAME BENCH I'M GOING TO BUILD! Glad to see that it is going to look as good as I thought that it would. Did you have any particular issues with the construction? How big is yours?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The top is 88" X 32". floor to top of bench is 36". No tail vise. 9" face vise on the left side. As I noted in an earlier post, one of these days I'll get around to building a chest of drawers that sit on the lower shelf (not quite sure what I want yet).

The top of this puppy is 4 layers of 3/4" ply. The whole thing is 3/4" ply and 2 X material.

If you are using the same plan and will be using the 2 X material, be extra careful about ripping them. I had a few of them pinch while ripping on the table saw (that can get exciting).

Be happy to provide more details if you want

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The last one I built has 3" in front and back and 15" at the ends. That's a lot at the ends, but I wanted space on the floor right under the bench ends. The banding is cut down 2X material that is just screwed on so I can replace it when it gets too beat up.

Not yet complete in this photo. I added a vise to the front left. I will add a chest of drawers on the lower shelf.

Think about what you will clamp to the top of the bench and how you will clamp it. That might help with how deep the overhang should be.

Dang that is a Heavy DutyWork Bench~! Very Nice~!

If Anyone needs some 1 5/16" thick MDF 20" x 87 5/8" I have 3 of them, just PM me.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS