Workbench status report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Last June I planned to build a workbench this summer and asked several questions, many of you provided some good advice. So I wanted to provide a progress report.

First, I found that I needed a workbench to build a workbench. I found a lumber mill that had some nice unplaned (inexpensive) 2x4 lumber and went to work building the completed workbench shown. Frame was all hand sawn, as I didn't have my power tools yet. Top is 2" thick, legs and rails are 4" square, and edge trim is 1x6 that is flush with top and bottom of top rail. A good solid bench, beefy, but still movable. Turned out real nice and was very handy in constructing the 'real' woodworking workbench.

Thank-you to the person who suggested rounding the bottom of the legs and sealing with a coat of epoxy. Worked well.

I found a great deal on some oak timbers and began building the workbench, based on Christopher Schwartz's design. Contractor said he had some 5x12 and 4x8 planed 4S timbers, so I made a plan and picked them up. I had to change my plan when I discovered that the timber size he had given me were the real sizes and not a half inch less from planing. I still had to plane some to get rid of aging due to sitting outside for several months. Bench Legs are 5x5", as are the side rails. Front, back and top rails are 4x8.

The mortises took some time. I hand cut two, 5 inches deep, 1x3, with great pride, and realizing that it was going to take quite a while to do them all, ordered a mortising machine. Used the machine to also cut the bolt nut holes. Still took a day and half to cut all of the mortises. Pretty good at it by the time I finished.

Bolted it all together, as you can see. Cut the 4" inch planks for the top, but my summer vacation was coming to an end as I went off to a workshop and the planer belt broke. So, next summer I have the top to finish and then seal it all. I already have the vise for the front board vise and another for an right end vise. Bench is rock solid. Still pretty happy with the result of this project and look forward to finishing it.

Guy
Woodworking School Teacher

Attachments

• 4 (Small).JPG
    4 (Small).JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 16 (Small).JPG
    16 (Small).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 17 (Small).JPG
    17 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 18 (Small).JPG
    18 (Small).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 151

MikeH

New User
Mike
Guy that is a great looking bench. :icon_thum I'll be anxious to see the finished product next year. Maybe we can compare notes sometime.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice base, it looks like you could hold a house up with that. I can't wait to see the finished piece with top top attached. One problem you probably won't have is the bench moving around on you, it looks like it weighs a ton.

Good Luck,

Jimmy

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
That looks like a rock solid bench!! That will serve you well, nice job!!!:eusa_danc

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great job on the "bench to build a bench" project. :icon_thum That would be enough for most WWers.

The base on the "final" bench is ...well, ...massive! 8-O It should handle anything you throw at it. I'll bet the base weighs as much as most workbenches. What are the base dimensions?

I'm curious about the tenons on all 4 leg posts. :eusa_thin Will you secure the top on one side with snug mortises and leave the other side a little loose in the cross grain direction to allow movement? Geesh, a 4 inch thick top is awesome.

You should have a good entry for the "how I spent my summer vacation" essay contest! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
The Base follows Chris Schwartz's plan

The post centers are 45 inches, which allows for 15" end hang for the top, and provides all of the clamping options that Christopher Schwartz mentioned in his previous articles.

I wanted to be able to take the bench apart, if need be, so the top will rest on the leg tenons with a through bolt to hold it down, and this should also allow wood shrinkage and expansion.

Thank-you for the comments.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Heckuva Bench Guy :icon_thum
Don't forget to put a ten 100 lb bags of sand in the base to steady it a bit :rolf:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS