Workbench Skirt Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
I am to the point I need to start working on the skirt for my workbench. I want to put a skirt on all four sides. I noticed on Montys he bolted the ends to the top to allow for expansion. If I want to skirt all four sides how do I allow for end expansion when all four corners are locked? Is there a type of joint that would allow for the end expansion? Thanks for the help.

Marty

Monty

New User
Monty
Unless you're planning on putting a tool tray on the back, you don't need a back skirt. Just the top is all you need. Having a flat surface back there is actually an advantage, in case you ever want to clamp something right on the benchtop. Not many people show a pic of the back of their workbench, but I wish more would. Here is an example:

021106018.jpg

021106015.jpg

The end aprons are tongue & groove, sort of a breadboard affect. If you really feel you want a skirt on the back for asthetics, you could just attach a wider board on the back of the benchtop (like I did) and extend the side skirts back a extra 1½" or so to cover it.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Thanks Monty. I think just putting the skirt on three sides makes more sense being I am not going to have a tool tray. I have an issue of Wood magazine that shows making a hanging tool tray that hooks on the upper stretcher. This might be the best way to go with the type of bench I have. I hope my bench turns out half as nice as yours. Thanks for the help.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS