Workbench build

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Maybe I should have considered my analogy being in the minority of under 30 year olds on the forum haha. Exodia is a reference for a cartoon/trading card game from the early 2000s. "Exodia" is a powerful creature made up of 6 different cards thus making it a rare combination to play.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
No clue what Exodia is/was until I read the definitions, but maybe I can add to your thoughts about workbenches. A workbench is probably the single most important "tool" to a woodworker, and yet I'm always surprised by how much we put off making/acquiring a decent bench. I spent a lot of years just making do and getting by. I finally decided to do the research and build my vision of what a workbench should be. Workbenches are as unique as the people who use them. I commend you for taking your time to do it right.

The folks on here have already given you some great ideas. I recommend these books in addition. They were very helpful to me while in the research stage.
Once I finally settled on the type of bench, the type of vises, base cabinet, etc. I drew detailed plans. The first book provides useful information on sizing the workbench to your height and mode of working.
  • I wanted a base that was an enclosed cabinet. I have a lot of smaller tools so I chose to fill it with drawers. My theory is that every tool should have a home to go to when it's not being used.
  • It needs to be solid and immovable. If you're chiseling a mortise would you want to work on a rock or a trampoline? Likewise, when pushing a plane you don't want to be chasing the workbench across the shop.
  • I like attachments and add-ons. These aren't part of the workbench, per se, but they enhance it as needed. Examples include a Moxon vise, shooting board, movable lamp, etc.
IMG_2251.JPG

My basic design is sort of a split-top Roubo within a framed top. The split top allowed me to make it in two sections and have the half-inch gap for storing tools. The breadboard end caps keep the top perfectly aligned even with seasonal movement. I used a combination of woods, really just what I had on hand. The base cabinet is red oak. The top is hickory with walnut accents, framed with pecan.

Woodworkers sometimes go overboard on the vises. Two are generally sufficient. I chose to add a standard face vise on the front and a wagon vise on the end. The bench dogs are spaced about 4.5" apart. The Craftsman face vise came from of my father's workbench. I made the wagon vise based on a design I found online and the Studley example.

IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG

These last couple of pictures show the front and back views. In particular, you can see the attachments I mentioned. I've added these over time as I found a need. They go into storage if I need the space or they are not in use. I like having a lot of options when I work. The upright tool cabinet is the most recent addition. This sits over the tool well holds the tools I use most frequently.

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Whatever you decide, let us know. Happy building!

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Thanks for that @creasman that was super thorough and I appreciate that! I'm curious about your split top, do you have a piece that fits in it to make 1 flush surface all the way across? And if so where does it go when you need the split open?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do have a filler that sits in the gap to keep the space flush. Before I added A/C to my shop I found the piece would be very snug in the summer. In the winter there would a 1/16+ gap so that it was now loose. With A/C the filler is just loose enough to easily remove. In the middle I have I have a special filler/divider that has slots for some hand tools.

The photo on the left shows the filler as it normally is -- flush with the top. If I flip it over it extends about 1/2" above the bench top and acts as a stop. TBH, I rarely remove them.

IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3503.JPG

I do like having the tool caddy in the split. This is two sections. These are movable, but I keep them in the middle of the bench. They're made from upright dividers glued between two strips of walnut. The dividers extend down into the gap and the walnut rests on the benchtop.

IMG_2251_Toolcaddy.jpg

JayDee

New User
Jordan
Impressive work, Martin! Sorry to be so direct, but I just joined the forum and was hoping you could tell me where you get your Valchromat from. I'm just down the road in Raleigh, and have been having a heck of a time locating a distributor for my own bench project.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I bought it at Interlam in Mt. Airy. They're getting out of the Valchromat business in favor of a similar product called Forescolor.

There was a thread about it last summer. I recommend scrolling through that. I don't know how much they have left, but here is their web site.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors