Workbench build

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Slowly (very slowly), assembling all the parts of Exodia to build my workbench.
Wood - white oak for top and pine for base (probably)
Vises - face vise (thanks Chris) and a leg vise from a workbench someone put out on the street
Guide - anarchist workbench
Time - absolutely 0

All that to say I would love to see pictures of your workbenches and hear your thoughts/advice. I don't know that I'm following any particular style just designing some amalgamation of everything I have seen. Looking forward to seeing some others, fancy or simple makes no difference!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
131EE624-DEC2-41DF-9403-7DD568038B8B.jpeg

this little fellow does a good job.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I drew inspiration from a variety of benches:

Festool MFT
1662159404219.png

Ron Paulk-style torsion box
1662159339795.png

Traditional English-style workbench
1662159221630.png

I came up with this
1662159476240.png

1662159511708.png

The base is oak and plywood. The torsion box is made of 30mm and 19mm Valchromat (high density fiberboard). It's 60L x 33W x 35H. It sits 1/8" below the height of the TS.

It serves as the outfeed table for my TS, an assembly table, etc. I can do crosscuts with my track saw on it as well. I purchased a vise to mount on the end. The dog holes are 20mm in a 96mm pattern. I have a number of clamps and fixtures designed for MFT benches that give me a number of assembly options. To plane long boards I can put two dogs in the side dog holes, one on the end as a stop, and a couple clamps to hold it in place.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I drew inspiration from a variety of benches:

Festool MFT
View attachment 213158

Ron Paulk-style torsion box
View attachment 213157

Traditional English-style workbench
View attachment 213156

I came up with this
View attachment 213160

View attachment 213161

The base is oak and plywood. The torsion box is made of 30mm and 19mm Valchromat (high density fiberboard). It's 60L x 33W x 35H. It sits 1/8" below the height of the TS.

It serves as the outfeed table for my TS, an assembly table, etc. I can do crosscuts with my track saw on it as well. I purchased a vise to mount on the end. The dog holes are 20mm in a 96mm pattern. I have a number of clamps and fixtures designed for MFT benches that give me a number of assembly options. To plane long boards I can put two dogs in the side dog holes, one on the end as a stop, and a couple clamps to hold it in place.
That looks like quite the jack of all trades haha!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes the tool tray does get a little cluttered, but for the most part it holds items that I need at hand clear of the work. As a matter of routine I clean and put away tools and items as needed and on a daily basis. This way I start with a clean work environment each time I enter the work space. It’s not always the easy way of doing things but it’s a habit I try to stick to.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Clean as always Mike. I love your solution for the bottom of the leg vise chop. Any particular inspiration or your own idea?
I think my antique campfire ratchet pot holder inspired that mechanism then after I finished it I found some other benches had similar devices. I just didn’t want to crawl around on the floor trying to put a peg in a board and the cross brace hardware seemed too complicated.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Slowly (very slowly), assembling all the parts of Exodia to build my workbench.
Wood - white oak for top and pine for base (probably)
Vises - face vise (thanks Chris) and a leg vise from a workbench someone put out on the street
Guide - anarchist workbench
Time - absolutely 0

All that to say I would love to see pictures of your workbenches and hear your thoughts/advice. I don't know that I'm following any particular style just designing some amalgamation of everything I have seen. Looking forward to seeing some others, fancy or simple makes no difference!
I don't get the Exodia reference at all - but I would guess a web search might tell me instantly.

My 'workbench' will create envy on exactly no woodworkers. It is a simple commercial 30 or 36" wide x 60" table worktop - 1.5 - 2" thick laminated wood of species unknown. I have it set upon a another older commerical metal table that racks just a little under heavy use. There is overhang all round and so I can clamp what I need to to the edges. I have no bench dogs or vices - and miss them on occasion.

Work holding is always a challenge, but i am primarily a power tool ww-er, with hand tools used in final stages.

So there is nothing to copy from my bench (no pics needed) - except for use a available materials - and flexibility/creativity in creating work holding solutions for the project at hand.

I look forward to seeing the completed Exodia (whatever that is, haven't looked it up yet!)

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Mine's a Moravian bench like Richard's, all SYP other than the oak dovetailed stretcher and tusks. It's not as pure as Richard's for sure. Modern vises on front and end. The top is 2 slabs (one 12" and one 8") so I could run them through my planer. Tool tray is 6" deep.

Attachments

• PXL_20220523_231242226.jpg
    PXL_20220523_231242226.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I don't get the Exodia reference at all - but I would guess a web search might tell me instantly.
I found this definition in urbandictionary.com:

"A rather uncommon term used to describe someone with unstoppable, or godlike abilities in his particular field, such as Babe Ruth or Donald Trump etc."

???

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS