Workbench build with Roubo Straighteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hi all,

Just checked around the web to see if anyone has used this method of laminating and face joining a workbench top. The Roubo straightener I am referring to is shown on my blog here:

http://oldetoolworkshop.com/2017/12/19/roubo-to-the-rescue/

Has anyone out there used this method or seen it used? I'm curious, as mentioned in my blog, I have not seen anyone use this on the web.

Also, here is the image of my implementation of the straightener:

attachment.php

Thanks,
-Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 394

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I have not seen that before but it is a great idea! I love the simplicity of it and I can't see why it wouldn't be as good if not better than clamps. I'll definitely consider this when it comes tome to build my work bench top.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Aaron, I laminated my bench top on top of my saw benches. I worked slowly in an attempt to minimize any twist or bow. I was fortunate to get together a small group of Jorgensen and Bessey clamps. It would’ve been a struggle to do that top (at least the way I did mine) without those first rate clamps.

I’ve wondered if it might be faster to laminate quickly and then use a router sled to address any hills and valleys, then finish off with a #7 or #8 hand plane.

I have to say, building that laminated top was actually fun. I think it would’ve been a fun group project to do a few together.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Very clever. I may have to give it a try sometime. The best idea I got from the post though is the book itself. I added it to my Christmas list. Not the $550 deluxe edition though, just the regular one. Of course it's so late, I'll just have to buy it myself probably. Oh well. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Very clever. I may have to give it a try sometime. The best idea I got from the post though is the book itself. I added it to my Christmas list. Not the $550 deluxe edition though, just the regular one. Of course it's so late, I'll just have to buy it myself probably. Oh well. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

It is a wonderful book, you will not regret your purchase.

I have not seen that before but it is a great idea! I love the simplicity of it and I can't see why it wouldn't be as good if not better than clamps. I'll definitely consider this when it comes tome to build my work bench top.

This is an awesome and cheap solution, I do not think the clamp manufacturers what this secret out. ;) It does take some effort to make the square holes, but completely worth it as these boards are held very firmly with lots of pressure.

I have not glued up my top yet as I am still getting everything ready for the big event. I have created full width wedges and borrowed more clamps for insurance. I have hand planed all the Southern Yellow Pine boards for better joinery and wiped them all with acetone to help the glue adhere. I purchased new TB-III glue and a roller for quicker application. The only thing I have left to do is to wax the twin boards and it looks like glue up will happen tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

-Aaron

JohnW

New User
John
Excellent info Aaron. I'm planning a bench build and this should really help. Thanks for posting.

Question: Is there a funtional reason for using square holes? Round holes with a dowel or black iron pipe would be easier for me to make,

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Excellent info Aaron. I'm planning a bench build and this should really help. Thanks for posting.

Question: Is there a funtional reason for using square holes? Round holes with a dowel or black iron pipe would be easier for me to make,

Hey John,

I like to share what I learn with as many people as possible. As to the square holes, I used them for two reasons: 1) Roubo showed them as square and I figured they had a good reason for square holes back in the day and 2) I believe that round holes (sounds funny saying that) would possibly split the twins and thus render them useless. That is only conjecture on my part. One thing I can say is the square holes work exceptionally well.

-Aaron

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Square holes and braces might hold the wedges slightly better but that's just a guess on my part. Very good use of old information BTW. Wow, those are some very large wood clamps on the ends of that setup.

Please keep the pics coming as you get further into the build - this is very interesting.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Hi all,

I just wanted to give an update on my workbench glue up. IT WORKED, ROUBO ROCKS!!! There is no twist, bow, or voids and the top is as straight as an arrow and with only some minor flattening and end trimming, it should be good to go. As you can see by my photo, it has be rigorously inspected by my shop cat and passed with flying colors. :)

attachment.php

-Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_5960.jpg
    IMG_5960.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 264

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Congratulations! If I do another laminated top, I may need to pick your brains for information or get a tutorial from you.

BTW, do you think a laminated top (using your method) would work as a group project?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Congrats always good to hear proper feedback from our shop animals, it is always truly for them. Great work on the beach, looks like a champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS